Saath Nibhaana Saathiya


Saath Nibhaana Saathiya
Saath Nibhaana Saathiya

A New Cultural Extravaganza Awaits Gopi

Simz786 IF-Rockerz

Joined: 04 January 2011
Posts: 5848

Posted: 04 May 2011 at 11:39am | IP Logged

A new cultural extravaganza awaits Gopi

As Gopi makes her maiden trip to a foreign country, we list out some of the activities and traditions about Switzerland that she will love to know more about. The name Switzerland brings in the images of snow-capped mountains, chocolates and being one with nature. Apart from its picturesque landscapes, the cultural life in Switzerland is rich and varied like its countryside. It feeds on the fertile friction between the four official languages and cultures - German, French, Italian and Romansh.

Switzerland also features an astonishing mix of traditional and contemporary elements and manages to keep a happy balance between preserving its cultural heritage and allowing new impulses to bring about change. Here is what Switzerland has in store for Gopi:

Facts, history and culture

Switzerland's foundation goes a long way back to 129. It is situated in the heart of Europe and is surrounded by Germany, France, Italy, Austria and Liechtenstein. About 60 per cent of Switzerland's surface is mountains and the other 40 per cent are filled with lakes, rivers, farmland, valleys, glacier and towns.

Switzerland's population is about 7.7 million and it comprises of different cultures and languages. Here Gopi can try her hand at learning the four national languages of Switzerland - German, French, Italian and Romansch.


Interesting traditions:

Alphorn blowers: The alphorn or alpenhorn or alpine horn is a labrophone, consisting of a natural wooden horn of conical bore, having a wooden cup-shaped mouthpiece, used by mountain dwellers in Switzerland. Gopi will surely have fun blowing this long alpehorn.

Flag swingers: This is an old tradition mainly followed in the Swiss Alps and done at folkloric events. Gopi can surely connect with the locals and try her hand in following this tradition.

Ascent to the alpine meadows in spring:
Gopi will have her share of fun during the spring season in Switzerland. In the spring, when the snowmelt is finished, villages send the cows with the cowherds to high alpine meadows to graze during the summer months. The event, called "Alp Aufzug", is celebrated in each village with a procession through the village into the high pastures.

The cows are decorated with floral wreaths woven through the horns, and the best milk-producing cow in the village leads the procession wearing the largest bell. The bells are made in various sizes, and cows are awarded bells according the milk production of the year.

Swiss wrestling (Schwingen):
Schwingen also known as Swiss wrestling is a style of folk wrestling native to Switzerland, more specifically the pre-alpine parts of German-speaking Switzerland. Wrestlers wear Schwingerhosen (wrestling breeches) with belts that are used for taking holds. Throws and trips are common because the first competitor who pins his/her opponent's shoulders to the ground wins the bout.

Source -

Edited by Simz786 - 08 May 2011 at 2:01pm

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:


suk19 IF-Sizzlerz

Joined: 12 March 2010
Posts: 16507

Posted: 04 May 2011 at 12:02pm | IP Logged
thanks for the article
Simz786 IF-Rockerz

Joined: 04 January 2011
Posts: 5848

Posted: 04 May 2011 at 12:18pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by fanbidaai

thanks for the article

Will Be Adding One About Modi Bros

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:


  • Page 1 of 1

Go to top

Related Topics

  Topics Author Replies Views Last Post
ll Gopi and Aehem ~ GoHem Love Paradise #1

2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 30 31

Author: Chandni-   Replies: 247   Views: 44746

Chandni- 247 44746 30 June 2012 at 10:33am by Chandni-
I officialy hate Gopi's character

2 3

Author: c111   Replies: 22   Views: 10218

c111 22 10218 09 August 2011 at 5:27pm by silverfrost
i don't want Gopi to hide!

Author: taral83   Replies: 4   Views: 3277

taral83 4 3277 24 August 2010 at 9:00pm by ShellJA
One Word Of Gopi

Author: -tellyaddict-   Replies: 4   Views: 3585

-tellyaddict- 4 3585 24 August 2010 at 8:44pm by -tellyaddict-
HA Vid: Gopi Preparing Rakhi Ki Thali

Author: -tellyaddict-   Replies: 2   Views: 2804

-tellyaddict- 2 2804 24 August 2010 at 8:36pm by ShellJA

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels

Check these Celebrity also

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index