FF: New York times with Maan&Geet Thread 4 09/13 - Page 87

Posted: 12 years ago

Originally posted by Lov26

Lol Ok then i wont compliment you  if you don't take it well πŸ˜‰ Lets assume that I dont like ur writing even though u will probably see me liking or commenting and i will still continue checking if u updated 10 times per day. NY times is actually an addiction!

Did u change the title for the last update? I might sound crazy but its just that i kinda remember a different title?

LOL!πŸ˜† you had me cracking up. I'm just awkward like that. If you were to say the same things in person, I would stammer and mess up, lost for words. However, if I'm going to hear a feedback to improve, I will idolize you for the moment, no doubt.

So yeah, thanks so much. It's always nice to hear that some story line that sits in my head, means so much to you. 
Yes I did change the title...

Hasini
absolutely loved it... i really like your writing style...very engaging, intriguing...making us crave for more...always leaving us in tenterhooks as to what is going to happen next...keep up the great work...waiting eagerly for the next part...this word game between them, nonword game, and other games makes their lives very very interesting...fantastic
Originally posted by 6thElement

ninand, manashi, Ramhari, sarkh26

For nominating me. It means so much...

oh you deserve every bit of it hasini...i hope you are recognized for your talent soon...😳
Originally posted by 6thElement

ninand, manashi, Ramhari, sarkh26

For nominating me. It means so much...

anytime dear  and thank u for giving us such wonderful updates and we wish to have atleast one update in mr iyer & mrs khurana 
and your newyork times is ALSO GOING WELL KEEP DOING THE GOOD WORK
The role playing was lovely. And yes the title to the update felt more appropriate than the previous one.
Missed reading your updates in a while, and this was one was def worth the wait.
Part 98: Guarding Secrets

The streamers of light played hide and side through the vertical blinds, placing the room in a blend of shade that didn't give out the hour of the day. He struggled to reference the position of the minute hand of the clock with respect to the second hand and hoped it had not struck three. But the clock hands were stuck together in the far corner of the clock, like they were making love for the minute and moved apart as he continued to gaze in his stupor. It was 10.50 AM. Golly! He cried. He had missed keeping her company during her morning sickness again and for once he hated she had the nausea of the kind that stood true to its word. It promptly stirred her around the dawn hours of 3.00 AM, just as the last time around.

He scurried on his feet, casting the layers of sheets away, when he first saw the plain white sheets of paper by his table. They were just that, plain and had nothing written on them. His grogginess cleared and a memory of their past rushed to him. He smiled instantaneously and strode straight to the kitchen.

He was still getting used to their apartment and now he had to find a candle. Calling her wouldn't help, he knew for she was as stubborn as a mule and would never let him hear what was only meant to be read. Shutting and opening the kitchen drawers, he stumbled upon a matchbox. He sighed as he decided he had no more patience to wait around going through the entire kitchen for a candle. Lighting a single match, he took one sheet of paper and carefully held the flame underneath. It was a knack he'd developed over time, sacrificing tens if not hundreds of her love notes. Ever since their teen years, lime juice on paper was their standard protocol to share secrets and to receive one after ages, had him shaking in excitement. He couldn't wait to see the ink darken from the heat of the flame and in the spur of the second, he succumbed to imagining the note instructing him to meet her for a secret rendezvous...perhaps in the gym sit-out or at the coffee shop...or rather asking to fulfill her craving. As silly as it sounded, he was certain there was nothing in the world like waking up to a dream...their love was reviving again.

Stark in contract, the dark words emerged, one at a time, as he strained his eyes to keep the flame away from the paper, but close enough for the heat to reveal what he thirsted to read. Once done, he realized it wasn't the first page as it read "...It was always you and will forever be you" His mouth quivered with an ache to kiss her that moment. Alas, she was one floor above and yet he felt the reach of her beyond the silt and gravel and sheets of wood. He moved to the only other sheet that he had to work on, sieving meticulous through multiple matchsticks.

This time he read from the first page and his mood colored from what she had scribbled with her index finger. "I didn't come back to you because of the baby. And I want you to believe me..."

Somehow he'd never doubted that and wondered what made her think he would possibly think along those lines. He had to meet her right then and his urgency was immediate.

Like an answer to a prayer, he saw Meera show up from her room, however, it didn't seem so much as an opportunity as trouble itself. Scuttling with the papers, he cleared the counter of the burnt matchsticks.

"Is that a code? Are you a spy?" She asked, giving away she had watched him play with fire and paper.

"No...nothing" He hurried to hide the papers behind him and smiled silly at the knowledge that it was nothing short of a children's game, which she was over complicating then "Just something my manager passes on when we are bidding" He said, hoping the lie was convincing enough.

"Ah!" She said, adjusting her dupatta, seemingly coming across self-absorbed into a strange excitement.

"Get ready, we are all going upstairs for Lunch" He blinked and profusely strained his brain to remember if he had forgotten the lunch invite. His shoulders stooped instinctively and it told him of the tension, he had been gathering inside. But before he could cough up another question, she answered him. "It's a surprise. I can't tell you now" She said, smiling coyly and it told him nothing if the revelation concerned him and his wife. But didn't she mention wanting to keep their renewed relationship a secret for a while?, He appeared confused, but quickly left the room for a shower, in hopes to have her clear it for him in person, than over the phone. 

He came out of his room, drying his hair with a towel, and jolted as Meera yanked the towel out of him and pushed him towards the door. He was taken back at her rudeness and gaped at her in disbelief.

"Sorry...we have to go now. Else it will be late" She said as Yash jumped in.

"Don't mind her, she's pushy" He added and it puzzled Rishabh to no bounds.

They left the house with his dripping hair, trailing drops of water down his neck and shirt. His stomach churned with anticipation, not knowing what he was in for that afternoon.

Naini got the door for them and she coughed as if she didn't expect him there. He stood rooted to the floor as he watched her, blinking his eyes at the image of his wife draped in a white and red cotton sari. Cotton sari? He felt his jaw drop as he took in her wet hair and moist skin, with a towel scrunched up in her arm. She coughed once again and moved to take his arm. No, this can't be, he thought eyeing her extended arm. Just in time, it slithered its intended path and reach beyond him to take Meera's hand as she gave a demure smile. He coughed now.

"Come in...so what's all the big new about?" Naini asked, hinting him that she had nothing to do with the sudden visit.

Geet rushed from the kitchen and Maan got off the couch to receive the guests. Meera jerked Geet into a hug and it had her break into a smile.

"What's happening? Common spread the happiness" Geet rubbed her back and her hand stilled as she felt the cool of a teardrop land on her shoulder.

"Is everything ok?" She whispered as worry crept up her voice and Yash walked towards them, raising an arm to hold Meera's back.

Meera slowly pulled away and uncurled her fingers, raising them to Geet's eyelevel. A solid white rock, set in a platinum band, shone bright splitting the colors inside the stone into a rainbow. Geet's mouth rounded in a pleasant shock as Meera nodded and the friends hugged once again. Unknowingly her eyes were tearing too.

"Congratulations beta" Daadima came towards them and took Meera into a hug. Maan tapped Yash on the head and congratulated him and so did Rishabh, momentarily breaking his gaze away from his wife. Laughter and teasing followed as Meera playfully slapped Geet on her shoulder. Naini conveyed her wishes to the couple, just as the women settled in the kitchen and the men lined up on the other side of the bar.

"This is such good news...Since when have you been hiding this?" Geet faked anger, with hands on her hip.

"Go easy hitler" Maan said and Geet rolled her eyes. Walking about the counter, she yelled "Aaapki tho kerni..." She said, slapping him hard with the roller in her hand.

Just then she noticed Rishabh's wet hair and eyed Naini from the corner of her eyes.

"Rishabh...you need a towel...Naini, can you help Rishabh with it?"

"No" Naini said. For a minute, Rishabh wondered if last night had only been a dream. He slipped his hand inside his jean pocket and felt the folds of the paper there to convince himself it was indeed otherwise.

"Naini...We are only talking about the towel here" Maan insisted, putting into perspective of what was being asked of her. She turned from the crowd facing the wall and broke into a small smile, unable to watch her husband's face contort in unease. Strangely she was enjoying the fact she had him confounded at the moment and then gave in shortly. She left for her room and Rishabh followed without losing time.

He was silently getting to the lock of her room, when he saw her reach for his hand.

"Don't Abhi...what will they think"

"I don't care" He said, pulling her into a tight embrace. "God! I missed you" He whispered as he felt her settle into his hold and go slack on his chest, digging her hand into his back.

"I'm sorry...I wanted to wake up, but..." She caught his lips in a kiss, before he could finish with an apology.

"No listen" He pulled away, nodding in exasperation as he felt the compulsion in him to explain himself, rise above his need for a kiss.

"I don't want you to explain" She sniveled, turning away from him. He held her from behind and rested her chin on her shoulder "Common baby. It's high time, I learn to be a husband and a father...I can't sleep when you ache and toil with the pregnancy"

"It's still not bad yet" She said, smiling pleased upon hearing his words. His fingers weaved with the hair, that fell over her temples and he tucked it behind her ears "Did you sleep at all?" He asked remembering they had only gone to bed around half past two.

"I came back home, spent about half hour in the bathroom, had a Perrier and slept around 3.45, I think" He kissed her nape and she tipped her head back onto the crook of his neck.

"Why didn't you wake me up?"

"Well, I have work cut out for you, so I'm letting off the hook here" She said, turning in his arms and bent sideways to get the towel off her bedframe. She gently shuffled his hair, as he sat down by the edge of the bed, matting the cloth to absorb the wetness. Her arm stilled in motion, as he parted her aanchal and kissed her navel. She covered her belly, with her free hand and he peeled it aside, to place another kiss where he had just removed her hand. Tugging her arm, he yanked her into his lap.

"What was the letter all about?...I never doubted you. I expect you to know that" He said. Her eyes lowered as if it greyed with guilt and he tilted her chin to have her meet his eyes.

"I will break into pieces if you ever question it Abhi. I'm not driven by motives...I love you and that's all there is to it" She said, gathering herself for a hug. He scooped her and encircled his arms around her back. He let her stay, allowing her to live the moment of his acceptance. They needed this, he thought, this closeness to fill the hollow cavities that ached for the other and he let the second fade into a minute in their hug.

She moved her head to rest on his forehead and he kissed her slow.

"We have to go...I don't want them to know. Not yet Abhi" She pleaded in a tone that spoke to him differently. And true it was, as she wished for him to never let go, not that instance or ever. Somehow she couldn't bring herself to divulge the true state of affairs to her family. She thought of their teasing that would begin and it plainly obscured the need to expel their current unhappiness over their relationship. In all honesty, she liked the return of her notorious self, seeking the thrill of secret outings and stolen kisses. She kissed him deeper as the thought echoed in her head, strumming her body with a forgotten high.

His hands wandered off around her waist, as she struggled the urge to stall his fingers. Her sensitivity picked up in a blinding pace as he dumped her into a vat of arousal; slouching to taste the moist on her skin that sloped deep into her blouse.

"I thought you said cotton is for slaving housewives" He muttered as he ran his thumb over her hardening breast. Her breath trembled and she gulped in desire, falling back onto him, seizing his hand off of her.

"Don't get me all worked up now...Please" She hushed next to his ear and he gave out a wicked smile.

"Then you better not come in front of me all wet and dainty in a sari" Her lips curved with cowering shyness and she instantly got to her feet. Throwing the towel on him, she stood up to face the mirror and steadied her long flowing garment.

"Come out after 2 mts" She said and left him after peeking out the door, making sure the women hadn't noticed their absence of few minutes amidst their whirling conversations.

Back in the kitchen, Meera still looked inexplicably excited at her engagement with Yash. As Naini entered the space barricaded by the women, she smiled sheepishly, ardently praying they wouldn't question her delay.

"So I ask him, whose house we are at, and he doesn't answer. I stand there with not a hint at all that was to follow right? Then he takes these keys from his bag, and places into my hand"

"Then?" Geet shrieked in animation.

"I go...What is this? And then he goes down on one knee and shows me a box with a ring" She got off the countertop and covered her mouth as if she was shaking with dubiety, unbelieving that something out of a fairy tale had happened in her life.

"I mean...I still can't believe it all" Meera said with moisture raking the brims of her eyes.

"Who would think right? After mom and dad passed away, I thought I would never have someone care for me like that" Geet walked to stand opposite Meera and took her hands.

"Even his parents were skeptical...getting a nobody into the family. But somehow he convinced them apparently" Meera continued, picking up a glum tone.

"Common, don't ever say that. We are all there for you" Geet assured and Meera went on, unheeding her friend's words.

"I know...But this is all just unbelievable, don't you think?" She asked incredulous.

"That's how it always seems, too good to be true. But they all come in time" Naini said, settling next to Meera, leaning on the counter top. Meera nodded and Rishabh crossed the hallway walking into the living room, where the men sat challenging each other in a game of Doom.

"I agree...I never thought Yash would want to date me, let alone marry me. All those years we worked together, he would flirt with anything in skirt or heels" She sighed, remembering a few agonizing years of her life.

"Not that he has changed now" And the women laughed as she added "Its just that he is different when he is with me. You know..." Meera was smiling to herself now, reliving the evening he'd proposed to her.

"So what did he say?" Naini asked, curious.

"To my own surprise, he gets down on one knee...Did I tell you that? He actually got down on one knee with a ring and all" She was repeating, too exalted to remember any of the details she had already given them.

"He said, 'I love you Meera. You are the only woman in my life, I can ever think of settling down with in my life. I know you think I'm useless and funny and handsome, but I want you to know that I'm all that and much more. And I want you to find that about me youself and perhaps may be in the process I can change your opinion of me as a joker...What do you say to being stuck with me in this townhome for the rest of your life? Marry me Meera'" She finished off, mimicking his deep baritone, and Geet placed a hand over her mouth in wonder. She thought it was indeed the best proposals, she had heard around, of course only next to her own proposal from Maan.

"That is so cute" Naini said "So when is the big day?"

"In 4 weeks" Meera said, unable to meet Geet's eyes. She was just about to squeeze Geet's hands, but Geet beat her to the expected question that she much dreaded now.

"4 weeks? I thought Yash's parents wanted a grand wedding...Where are..." Geet felt the pressure on her palm and the reasons that rose in her head, made her stumble on words, filling her with apparent distress. Meera coughed right on cue.

"Let me show you the bathroom" Geet said, as Naini and Daadima dispersed in blunt awkwardness, pretending to attend to the delayed lunch.

Geet yanked her arm into their bedroom and closed the door upon her entry.

"Where are you going to get that much money?" She screamed, knowing all too well of Meera's financial standing and of Yash's parents' expectations.

"I will manage...I think Savita aunty will help" Meera answered embarrassed, even a tad bit guilty as if it was morally degrading for a middle class orphan to dream for extravagance.

"I don't understand why you are hurrying into this. Why don't you space it out a bit?" She asked and Meera leant on the nearby wall, and held her hand over her head, appearing to be in denial of something. Geet looked at her childhood friend, thick as thieves all through their life they were, struggling to answer her questions. And then it occurred to her, her mouth parted from appalling horror.

"Are you pregnant or something?" She screeched, her words unwilling to leave her throat.

Before Meera could respond, Daadima cranked the door with a thud and blinked incredulous.

"Pregnant?" The one word was all Daadima could manage, amazed at her own self for having broken her smooth record for eaves dropping.

It was revoltingly clear that moment, that everyone had their secrets to guard. 

So, what do you people think? Let me know through your comments, feedback and the very lovely Like button. THANKS all those who have been commenting, I hope to hear from from more of you. I guess its not too much to ask...

Edited by 6thElement - 12 years ago
awesome...
another update in a day...
am i in for a treat...then i want one more...greedy me..

i liked the part...
especially rishabh naini...
oh and their secret letter...
girl you have some imagination and some tricks up your sleeve ..i must say...
but i always love them..the slight hint of mischief is always welcome...
hope dadi does not think of geet being pregnant...
i am so looking forward for the family to know rishabh naini secret soon...
plz continue soon

Edited by libra25 - 12 years ago
πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘πŸ˜Šheyaa!!!! im new to this if dear but always been a silent reader...i must say ur simply superb...u just manage to show romance just in their feelings and thats actually a very tough job...but u do it as if its a child's play...u r simply awesome dear...and please add me to buddy list so that il receive ur pm...😊

All updates were awesome.

I may have told this to you a number of times but i really like the way each of your character is woven into the story and the justice you do to each of them (M&G being my personal favs ofocurse  )Each has their own space. Thanks once again for a probable closure on Yash and Meera. I'm sure there is still more to explore and i would wait for that to happen.

Of all the characters I'm in awe of Geet. I loved the way her character has shaped up and the gradual growth in this one particular character has left me flabbergasted. And though everyone has contributed in a way or the other for this change in her, the one person that is more than responsible for this is ofcourse Maan and his love for her.  Hats off to him for that. (Rather hats off to you)

Frankly, after reading the last chapter Mirror Mirror on the wall i was beguiled. I would have never imagined these changes in Geet even upto a point of her marriage with Maan. What i like the most are the traces of her simplicity, innocence and naivety still maintained.  Thanks for the lovely story and awesome characterizations Hasini.

And yeah I love Dadi loads too πŸ˜‰ I laughed my heart out at these last lines πŸ˜†

"Pregnant?" The one word was all Daadima could manage, amazed at her own self for having broken her smooth record for eaves dropping.

It was revoltingly clear that moment, that everyone had their secrets to guard.