The Vampire Diaries

TVD - spoilers and promos #2 - Page 4

JennyPenny thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 12 years ago

The Vampire Diaries: Will Season 2 End in Death?

Last week's episode of The Vampire Diaries left off with incredibly dire circumstances for several characters, so are we headed towards some major death on the show? At a recent press Q&A with Julie Plec that IGN attended, the Vampire Diaries executive producer remarked that when it came to the end of Season 2, there would be, "Severe and tragic consequences and the loss of life would be extreme over the last several episodes." 

Added Plec, "It's a vampire show and in vampire shows the stakes are high and the death count has to match that, because if we don't follow through on the shakes that we're setting up – if you guys don't believe the consequences are life and death – then we're not doing our job." 

Plec revealed that this week's penultimate episode of Season 2, "The Sun Also Rises", "takes place over the rest of the night and it is Klaus' attempt at executing the sacrifice ritual to break the curse and the part that Jenna is meant to play in that and what everybody else has to do to try to keep her from being the vampire that Klaus sacrifices." She also promised some especially "fierce" and "badass" moments for Bonnie

- The CW
The Vampire Diaries has managed an impressive feat, mixing core elements of teen romance with an anything goes vibe that gives it an appeal to folks like, well, me, complete with deep mythology, huge twists and turns and some notable gore. But Plec said she always wanted to keep that romance element, adding, "That's my opinion. The other fans will have other opinions. Some people are like, 'Enough with them and the kiss! Get back to the blood and the guts!' But I think that's why this show works, is because it can deliver all of it. Just when you're in your most intense genre moment – unpeeling the onion layers of the mythology -- then you can have a human moment, a relationship moment." 

Last week's episode, "The Last Day," had a very notable scene between Elena and Stefan, as Elena, who looks to be on the cusp of turning into a vampire, thanks to Damon, tells Stefan she never wanted this to happen and wanted to live out her days as a normal human. If you noticed (and perhaps appreciated, as I did) that this made Elena the exact opposite of Twilight's Bella Swan, who desperately wants to give up her humanity to be with Edward forever, you were on the right track. 

Explained Plec, "I loved this [last scene] between Stefan and Elena, because when we started this show, the similarities toTwilight were so extreme. And this was our way of sort of closing the book on that chapter of similarities. Because for Elena to say, 'I've never even wanted this for a minute, because I'm still a kid and I still have choices to make in my life – choices that I wanted to make,' I loved that about Elena. I just think that's so beautiful and was happy to be able to let her have this introspection, when the choice has already been made for her." 

- The CW
Damon fed Elena his blood in order to save her, but did so without asking, potentially damming her to a life (or an undead life, as it were) we now definitively know she does not want. Asked if it's a risk to have Damon do something that may be very difficult for the audience to forgive, Plec replied, "I think the interesting thing about Damon, which is complicated for us as writers, is the lengths to which people will forgive him. That was never more clear than at the beginning of the season when he snapped Jeremy's neck and then everybody was like, 'He was upset! He's sad!'" 

"Yes, of course Damon deserves to be loved," said Plec, "Of course Damon deserves a lot of things, but Damon's still got… issues! And so for this, this thing he did to Elena, this is sort of his biggest lesson to learn - in that you can love someone, with all the power in your soul, but you still have to remember who they are and what they want. And we talked about it like turning off the life support for a coma patient, a loved one. What were their instructions in brain death? Do you keep them on life support because you can't say goodbye, or do you give them their wish? And that's the difference right now between Stefan and Damon, is Stefan sees those things and sees that with love, you have to take the other person's wishes into consideration. And Damon, because he's been so screwed in the head by love, and it's his Achilles heel… This is about him learning that lesson." 

Plec revealed that the season finale ("As I Lay Dying") involves Damon needing to seek Elena's forgiveness for what he did. "He does try to seek her forgiveness and he desperately wants it. And as we've seen, he now has the extra reason, with the werewolf bite. 'I can't die with you hating me.' That's his point. But how does that play out?" 

- The CW
"The finale is basically the end of the road of Damon's character journey for the year," Plec remarked, "We could have ended with the sacrifice ritual and just gone out really big. The next episode is enormous and very emotional. And that could have just been it. We could have waited and that could have been the end of the season. But for us, we started this season and Stefan said to Damon, 'For the first time, I see you starting to feel something and starting to care. Do not let this ruin you. Do not let Katherine ruin you. Do not let any of this come between us. Do not take a step backward.' And here we are – we've come full circle and he's done so many things and made so many choices that have been so screwed up. And now he's at the end of his life, so he believes, and he needs to come to terms with all of those decisions he'd made in the year and not just in the year – really since Katherine seduced him 145 years ago. So he's reliving those mistakes that he made with Katherine, trying to get Elena's forgiveness." 

She also added that the finale involved, "What Stefan has to do, determined to do anything he can possible to save his brother. Stefan's whole cross to bear is, 'Wait a minute. My brother is finally showing his humanity – the humanity I took away from him 145 years ago. I can't let him die now!' But there's no cure, so what the hell is he going to do?" 

As for what's to come next season, if you have been enjoying all of the mythology about Klaus and Elijah, it sounds like you may be very happy, as Plec teased, "Season 3 is very much the season of the Originals."

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Nayab- thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: shockalot

Ummm...deadly mistake? :| I think she's going to die...Caroline can't die..she just CAN'T...and Tyler isn't in next week's episode...

I think Liz will die...

And jeez what an episode :|

Candice is having to do some promotional work for Warner Bros over the weekend of Insurgence

================

So it looks like Caroline's in Season 3! 😛... Unless she's doing another show with them 😆...

-SilverAngel- thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Today's episode saddened me a bit cause Elena and Jeremy are truly orphans now with no Jenna or John looking over them unless Alaric comes in the picture...but thankfully Greta died she was giving stiff competition to Andie in the annoying department, atleast Klaus too got some casualties today, but hey who cheered up with the cosy Tyler and Caroline's scene. Those two really know how to fly sparks, I mean lighten up an entire room

Edited by mahi0809 - 12 years ago
JennyPenny thumbnail
Greta dying was the best part ^^
MaddyStilinski thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Saw it on a site..Don't know how reliable It Is😕

Someone who survived the Ritual will get killed? in the finale and it won't be pretty.

- Liz plays a HUGE role in the finale.

- Elena plays EVEN bigger one and you will either really hate her or really love her after this.Expect a different,darker Elena.

- How Elena was revived has yet to play its course.

- You think no more deaths? There are few yet to happen

- What happens in the finale will change elena forever.

- Stefan is about to loose some fans and gain new ones. As is Elena.

Edited by -mAdY- - 12 years ago
dkmystery thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
and the way Damon walked towards the graves 😭
this is what I love 'bout him, whatever he does, he keeps Elena in mind! always loving her, always caring for her... why don't such men exist in real life? 😡 😆
wadhwaniki thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
if damon dies i wil quit along wid him ... i dont wanna c the next season if its filled wid the original i hav had enough of the klaus ...elijah is bearable but klaus...he gets on my nerves n to watch a whole family of originals...no ways ... all i want to c is damon stefan n elena
-SilverAngel- thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Damon was so right in not trusting Elijah...Elena and Stefan placed their trust in Elijah (an honorable man lol) and look what happened...

Wish we would get a tiny introspecting scene where Elena accepts to herself that Damon was right and she was wrong to trust Elijah...
JennyPenny thumbnail
^ I agree. They should give us something on htat in the next episode that Damon was right.

Why is Elena running in town like that? Damon escaped?
JennyPenny thumbnail

'Vampire Diaries' star teases finale tricks

Friday, May 6 2011, 11:35am EDT

Nina Dobrev has promised that there will be "tricks" and a "cliffhanger" in the season finale of The Vampire Diaries.

Speaking to Entertainment Weekly, Dobrev explained that Damon's werewolf bite will have a big effect on the episode.

"We go into flashbacks and into hallucinations," she said. "You won't really know which is which until you're intended to know that.

"There's a lot of really cool visual tricks that happen. That's why it's a very confusing, very interesting episode that makes you think."

Dobrev also described the finale as an "homage" to the characters, saying: "It's character-driven and about what's happened to them and how they deal with everything. Don't get me wrong - of course, there's going to be a cliffhanger. The show's not going to end on a subtle note. We're still going to end in a way that people need and have to come back to find out what happens next season, but in a different kind of way."

The season finale of The Vampire Diaries will air on May 12 at 8/7c on The CW in the US and on May 17 at 9pm on ITV2 in the UK. The show has already been renewed for a third season.