Mythological Masti

Mythological Shows - an insult to God?!

RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 13 years ago
Hey Guys,

This query has been bugging me for some time now, so I decided to ask you all your honest (and I mean COMPLETELY HONEST) opinion. Forget for a moment all your favorite mythos and please please please give me your impartial judgment.

I go to a lot of other forums on IF besides this one, and I've received criticism from some of those forums about the mytho sigs in my sig-box. Some people are of the opinion that watching mythological shows, using mytho sigs, and in general directors taking mythological shows is wrong and an insult to God. I've been in debates where people claimed that God is not someone one can write and direct a story on like he is a human being, because it sends a misconception to people watching the show that they are really watching God during his avatar. The fact that they connect actors, who are mere human beings on Earth, to Gods is sinful and an insult to God.

So that brings us to my next question. How many of you connect the actors in mytho serials to their onscreen counterparts? Do you ever feel that you are watching 'the real Lord Ram' or 'the real Lord Krishna'? Or are you always 100% aware that you are only watching a show and enjoy it for its entertainment and devotion value? If the former is correct, do you think that is sinful and an insult to God?

My last question for you is....do you think using sigs and avis of mytho shows is an insult to God? When we use lines from devotional songs as text for the sigs, or write "Jai Shri Ram" or "Jai Shri Krishna" next to Arun, Gurmeet, Nitish, Swapnil, Meghan, etc....do you think that is wrong? Does that automatically mean we consider these actors Gods, or are we simply using sigs of their shows like people use sigs of normal everyday soaps?

Basically...where should we draw the limit between mytho shows and God? Where should we draw the line between considering mytho shows as entertainment and forms of devotion?

I would really appreciate your input on this, as next time I get into a debate in this subject, I will know what to say.😳

-Janu

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Dpka1415 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
This content was originally posted by: JanakiRaghunath

Hey Guys,

This query has been bugging me for some time now, so I decided to ask you all your honest (and I mean COMPLETELY HONEST) opinion. Forget for a moment all your favorite mythos and please please please give me your impartial judgment.

</strong>

I go to a lot of other forums on IF besides this one, and I've received criticism from some of those forums about the mytho sigs in my sig-box. Some people are of the opinion that watching mythological shows, using mytho sigs, and in general directors taking mythological shows is wrong and an insult to God. I've been in debates where peopleclaimed that God is not someone one can write and direct a story on like he is a human being, because itsends a misconception to people watching the show that they are really watching God during his avatar. The fact thattheyconnect actors, who are mere human beings on Earth, to Gods is sinful and an insult to God.

Well first of all. ...Janu di the topic is really relevant...i have also come across such debates in general...
Well honestly i dont feel that making films or shows on mythology insults God at all...infact i believe that God himself is over n above the things like respect or insult....who r we to insult God? We are what we are becoz of God...
Okkkk coming back to the thing that people start treating the actors as the characters they have played in the shows or movies..well i find this incorrectly....believe me i have asked this question to myself too several times while making siggies when i write Ramayan or Geeta verses on the siggies with our mytho actors as characters....but everytime i get the same answer that when i write such sacred lines on the siggies i always write them keeping the characters i mind. ....And never keeping Arul Govil ji or Gurmeet or anyone in mind....then how can it be an insult? ??? The characters potrayed in the shows are not man made,right??? They are mentioned in the Scriptures....

So that brings us to my next question. How many of you connect the actors in mytho serials to their onscreen counterparts? Do you ever feel that you are watching 'the real Lord Ram' or 'the real Lord Krishna'? Or are you always 100% aware that you are only watching a show and enjoy it for its entertainment and devotion value? If the former is correct, do you think that is sinful and an insult to God?

well honestly when i watch the serials i do connect with the characters but di that is possible bcoz besides watching them we have already read about the real characters....and that is the major reason that i connect with the characters....actors only. ...Only and only helps me visualise the character for a while....but i always have this thing in mind that what i m watching is a visualisation only...again coming back to the insult thing my answer is the same as i mentioned above...

My last question for you is....do you think using sigs and avis of mytho shows is an insult to God? When we use lines from devotional songs as text for the sigs, or write "Jai Shri Ram" or "Jai Shri Krishna" next to Arun, Gurmeet, Nitish, Swapnil, Meghan, etc....do you think that is wrong? Does that automatically mean we consider these actors Gods, or are we simply using sigs of their shows like people use sigs of normal everyday soaps?

Di i think if using avis or siggies of mytho shows with the sacred text is not wrong in any sense....okkk i have a ques now.... God has no form right?? Still we worship idols in the temples dont we??
In todays world...people. ..The new generation specially is more inclined to television...so potraying devotional characters and using the television industry for making people aware of the glorious mythological pasts is a blessing....in my view...of course they have to maintain the decorum when the show such things. ...u know what i mean....m talking about ekta's kahaani humare mahabharat ki..which was a blunder....
Till the directors maintain the proper decency and potrays the characters as mentioned in our Vedas n Puranas...i dont feel its an insult anyway...
And if this is not an insult then we using siggy or avis with keeping in mind the characters n not actors is not at all wrong....its actually the viewpoint of every individual. ...How they view it...! [/i]

Basically...where should we draw the limit between mytho shows and God? Where should we draw the line between considering mytho shows as entertainment and forms of devotion?

Di this entirely depends from individual to individual...u know what i mean...we make and use creations keeping in mind the characters and not characters...where we want to appriciate the talent of the actors we always put their names first and then write as_____(whoever they potrayed)
Like we put Gurmeet as Lord Ram...
Here how are we insulting God? If thats an insult then why do we have Ram leela's every years for nine days before Dusshera in almost every street...district..city...town of India??? Isnt that insulting then??

I would really appreciate your input on this, as next time I get into a debate in this subject, I will know what to say.😳

<strong>-Janu

Dpka1415 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
I'll edit the post n put my reply in a diff color wen i log in from pc... Tried putting my ans. In italics till then...

N one more thing...ANSWER IN THIS ABOVE POST IS ENTIRELY MY OWN VIEW POINT... Plz dont mind if i wrote anything wrong :) :)
...PARiNA... thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
edited below ... 😛
Edited by ...PARiNA... - 13 years ago
lakshmi42 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: JanakiRaghunath

Hey Guys,

I go to a lot of other forums on IF besides this one, and I've received criticism from some of those forums about the mytho sigs in my sig-box. Some people are of the opinion that watching mythological shows, using mytho sigs, and in general directors taking mythological shows is wrong and an insult to God. I've been in debates where people claimed that God is not someone one can write and direct a story on like he is a human being, because it sends a misconception to people watching the show that they are really watching God during his avatar. The fact that they connect actors, who are mere human beings on Earth, to Gods is sinful and an insult to God.

To be frank, while watching a mytho serial I'm so involved in it and I don't like anyone else even talking to me. My friends very well know the time I will watch a mytho and they don't even phone me during that time because they know I don't like it. I don't know how to describe the feeling that I have while watching such a show. I really used to feel I am really watching Ram or seeing the sad plight of Sita just in front of me. I just feel like the whole epic is being depicted in front of me and I feel that I am a spectator to all the events. I never think that watching a mytho or writing a script about their lives is a sin or insult. Portraying a character of God is also a sort of showing respect to them. You can write a script only if you are an expert in the matter. So I don't think it is a sin or insult.
"Jai Shri Ram" and "Jai Shri Krishna" are magical words which have the power to kill all the sins. Writing this is not a sin. I know people who begins a letter or something important with these magical words. It is just a coincidence that we feel the actors who portray the role of Gods are also Gods. When ever we think of God we may or may not get the picture of these actors because non of us have seen them directly and we have only seen them in serials. Even if we are thinking that the idols at temple as God; that is also based on some model. But we very well know that these idols and actors are not God. He is some one with a figure no one has seen.

This purely depends on personal interests. Some may take these serials seriously and for some it might be a source of entertainment.

-Janu

...PARiNA... thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

agree with u both
making Deeps replies in blue and mine in red (hope u both dont mind it )

Edited by ...PARiNA... - 13 years ago
...Mina... thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
i think the actors themselves are very blessed to act in mytho shows, not everyone can.😳 And the Sagars shows are some of the very best mytho shows out there, that I think GOD chooses who acts in these shows, not the directors like Parina diii so rightly said !!

And I think people care about mytho actors because of their divine roles only, or else if we saw all these actors for first time in another non mytho show, we would not care for them so much.😳😆 that's just my opinion, but for me, I connect most with actors in mytho shows, and though i do watch normal soaps as well, i do not get attached to the actors in those shows, because they all play normal people and mytho shows are all about Godly characters.

I feel very happy and devoted whenever I watch sagars' Ramayan, both the old and new one, so I do not think anything that brings us closer to GOD can ever be sinful.😳 i agree we should not think of actors as the characters they play, but to connect them with the characters I think is not wrong, because none of us know GOD and the real form he took as Ram ji and Krishna ji, so we all need something or somene to picture him because I find it hard to pray to a formless God, I am not that learned yet.😳 I mostly picture God as the beautiful Murtis in temples, but whenever I see Ramayan wid my parents, I connect the actors to their roles and luv them (the characters) more and more every time because of the great actors the Sagars chose !! but that does not mean I pray to the actors or think them God !!😲

but I do think it is wrong to become so obsessed with the actors who act in mythos and literally call them GOD, that should not be done and we should know that they ARE real life people with faults.😊 as long as a distinction is made, mythos are a refreshing break from the tiring and head achy saaas bahuu soaps that people enjoy, I would watch mytho show anyday over the tiring soaps !! , and i would always use mytho cgs as they make me happy to come on IF, without my mytho identity, I cannot connect with IF !!😆
Edited by ILuvGuruDebi - 13 years ago
pakhara thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Well, first of all, I don't believe that God will ever get offended if we think about him in a loving manner. It is said in the Geeta that he is the supreme soul, the supreme personality of Godhead, and all of his forms are only his manifestations. Every single form of life has two beings, the jivatma, and the supreme soul in them. We should learn to see God in every living thing. So it is not at all wrong if we do see God in the actors. And then with the matter of thinking them as being God, well, I just don't think that that really occurs. We can differentiate between shows and scriptures. I loved Meghan as Krishna, but watching Jai Shri Krishna made me fall in love with the God Shri Krishna even more and look at me now! I'm regularly attending the ISKON temple and studying the bhagavad geeta. So, this brought me closer to God and I think that he would be very happy with our mytho shows then!

And as a side note, we are also supposed to be under the illusion of maya. So everything we conceive in our heads is mostly wrong and sinful. This act of loving God by watching the mytho shows, since it contains at least an ounce of love, can not then be so bad, right?
Edited by AishuJSKfan - 13 years ago
Debipriya thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Wonderful Replies everyone 👏 👏- Dpka, Lakshmi, Parina, Mina and Aishu- Completely agree with you all!! ⭐️ ⭐️  ⭐️.... Janu, very very relevant Thread ⭐️ and it suddenly reminded me of Anku's Thread named 'The Most Asked Question'- don't know why. 😃..  The Content may be somewhat 😆 same with this Thread...

Anyway, I am Just Loving ⭐️ all the posts by the members, very very nicely explained. Just adding my point of view regarding this topic here:-  People have different image of God in their mind. Some have a far-fetched image of the Lord, residing in Heaven, observing and punishing us if we make any mistakes... Now there are some people who think about the Lord as Omnipresent, with us every moment of our life, in each and every particles of this Creation! ... I was also in the first group till a few years back I realised about Devotion.... So, the basic difference is that some find Him every where, others try to find Him or believe to search for Him only thr' some formal rituals. Now the qs asked by Janu's friends are like that- they believe that God ONLY responds to certain forms of Worship or we need to have Special Ways to approach Him or ever refer to Him, whereas it is Completely Opposite for the Devotees!! His /Her Simple Offerings or Informal Worship is always accepted by the Lord with Immense Sincererity and Love...( I am writing So Much on it 😳.... )

Now coming to the actual qs 😃 with reference to the above point:- It depends on the Attitude of the person Using the Siggies or Writng the Posts or Making the Serials, rather than the Actual Sig/ Posts/ Serials 😊- that Object is only an object before we respond to it. So they may very well qs that object... But the way a devotee Responds to it (Subjective approach)and the way a non-devotee Responds to it (Objective approach)- will be Completely Different! .. I guess this is the gap which brought the qs which is asked by Janu's friends. They are definitely criticism, but they are the Expression of the POV of that particular person, the way he/she looks at/ responds to that object... So basically, it comes to the personal level of each and every person, how he/she views Devotion and what are his/ her concept regarding God

And lastly 😃, just quoting the way our Dear Sis Lola always puts it up  that- 'Any step taken towards the Lord- can never be wrong' ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️- I am so much 'into' this sentence these days... So truely said! 

Loved all the Posts 👍🏼 and specially the reference to 'Murtis' by Dpka  and the reference of 'ordinary tele-serials' by Parina- I was also thinking the same ! 😊 ... Very Very True!  ⭐️
pakhara thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
So true Debi di! Yes indeed! Agar bhavna acchi ho, toh sab kuch thikh hi hai. It is all dependent on how we think about it. If we love God even more because of these serials, then they are, indisputably, a good thing for us.