Frequent Posters

SimplyAparajita thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 13 years ago
I agree with you yar... So true...
ssroomani thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
@elle45:   Agree with you that even actors' careers are affected by the current system of TRPs............I am one of those waiting for Leher of YPNHK to come back on screen! ðŸ˜­

And what about Gaurav Khanna?  He is one of the most talented actors around but has had bad luck in that his shows, both YPNHK and DSDV, both of which started with very different kind of themes with a charm of their own ended so soon and without fulfilling what they claimed to do when it started!   YPNHK went haywire in its story and ended so abruptly with a lot of loose ends hanging.........and DSDV is ending with what they claim is a happy ending but is really a crappy ending!

I am glad to see so many agree that the system needs to change.....please, can IF admin do something to get this thread to reach the channels and production houses?   ðŸ˜Š
sourmisery thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7
Amazing post! Would've said more but when it comes to shows ending cuz of the dreaded "TRP!", I am reminded on Rishta.Com..

AMAZING SHOW!!!! Great story, great cast, unforgettable characters, UNDENIABLE chemistry and an end which only had us begging for more...Season 1 had such a cliff-hanger ending and yet YRF is not bringing it back! WHY!?!??! Cuz some silly people did not watch a show which was different than the whole saas-bahu, salwar-kameez, kitchen conspiracy BS and was wholly based upon friends cum business partners dressed in clothes which totally set a new trend and were y living a life which people live in a city like Mumbai in REALITY!!! Uggggh....!!!

TRP has killed the joys and dreams of MANY TV watchers...they made many of us lose faith in good TV, no wonder people are switching to watching American shows because they know that the show they fall in love with in the first few months would eventually turn out to be utter crap leading only to abusing the CV behind it and cursing the day the show became like a drug to them...
LuvManan13 thumbnail

Originally posted by: pbtghosh

You are absolutely right.  TRP is the cause of death of a good story/serial. For this TRP channels can't stop a serial at the proper time.  channels ka kahena hai "aare bhai TRP achcha hai ye serial ko abhi kaise rok sakte hai, story ko gumao, kuch bhi karo TRP achcha hai." and the result death of a good story.😔 

i support you too
TRP will kill the show

Neerjaa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
 In TRP race channels and Production Houses   are loosing their  credibility , can not be trusted with a good story.....you never know when it will be tempered without any reasons....YPNHK started with good story line , with good actors but somewhere lost its way....Unnecessary violence  and all stupid tracks killed a good story......Same happened with Chhoti Bahu...Once.while surfing through the channels chanced upon this soap.....just watching somewhere midway , liked the episode .....Then wanted to see from the starting ,and it was from DJ,s....Found it to be fresh, unique story with innocent,unconditional love story with presence of Lord Krishna here and there ....Surprisingly  it was first time in my life that hooked to this soap as i am not in to rituals or pati- parmeshwar kind. not very much in to Hindi soaps....loved the soap and its lead pair with their magical chemistry  where words were not needed  to express their inner turmoil their eyes spoke volume....but  reasons unknown ,started going down hill with all the illogical twists ,caricatured the the story as well as characters in their race to catch the bullet train...Then all of sudden abrupt ending.....You not only betray your viewers,  even your actors who have worked hard...Funny part was that every other serial from Zee itself and other channel   were copying the something from this track...Problem is if one formula is hit , then others also try to cash it in their race to out do the other one....Originality is killed gradually.....Its high time some thing should be done about this rating which effects the creativity and tests the intelligence of viewers... No doubt about the cut-throat competition in this business.... Daily  new soaps are churning out supposed to be with new fresh story-line, depends how many survive in this going on rat race.....
Edited by neerjashingla - 13 years ago
SilverBell thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Great Post Thank you. that's very true. about TRPS.
poetic thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: elle45

Thank you Neerja 😊. I was not aware that even advertisers have a say in altering the story of a serial 😲 You are right, this continuous introduction of new tracks is really disturbing. As a result, the previous track is usually left midway, completely forgotten about, or either ended abruptly.

There's a very vicious cycle involved in this......I feel that this constand demand for TRPS and long running serials not only degrades the quality of a serial but eventually also pretty much destroys the actor's career. What I mean by this is that suppose, 2 fresh actors join a serial as the leads, they work on it a few months, maybe a year or two. Then, due to continuous distortion of the story and introduction of ridiculous tracks due to TRP demand..... the TRPs eventually fall. The show is given a week or two to shut down, and suddenly all the actors are out of a job. Given that they are so overworked due to continuous 5-day serials, they have never had time to take up another serial alongwith it.

Now, when the lead actors are free, they look for new roles. But since they were the "Lead" actors, they want to come back as leads again, so they refuse other offers. They dont get lead roles because of the many many aspiring newcomers waiting to take their places. They either sit at home for months on end, or they take up some reality show, or just disappear. Ultimately, most of these "once very popular" actors are reduced to just being "one-hit" wonders. Even though many of them are so talented, and young and hard-working, very few get 2nd chances.

I've noticed this for many serials. I'm still waiting for the leads of my show, Na Anna is des Lado, to comeback, though it's been months. There are ppl on IF waiting for the Bairi piya sequel, there are ppl waiting for Leher of YPNHK to return. Then, there were the very talented actors a few years ago, Karan/Nandini of KSBKBT, Kumkum/Sumit of Kumkum etc. Granted, these people are still very famous, but how often do we see them coming regularly on TV? And they're all very young, they could still come as the leads.  

This is what I meant by TRPs eventually destroying an actors career. Sorry for my rambling, but I just feel very disappointed with this system.

@ Elle - Nice to have you here and the points you raise are so pertinent to the problem we have at hand.

I also had no idea that advertisers had their say too in deciding the stupid twists and turns, but now I really feel sorry for 'the story' per se. It never has a chance of resurfacing once the stakes are pierced through it's heart. This is disturbing indeed. But again points to the fact that any show, has the better tracks (if not the best) when they are introduced, 'cos at that time there is not much distortion and the CH and PH probably sticks to the story so that the interest of the audience doesn't waver.

One more thing - as of now, TRPs are decided by only a small percentage of the Indian tv -viewing population. How come they have the power to decide what we should watch and we shouldn't? Is there any SHow now where we can safely say that the makers have been faithful to the original storyline? There should be some revamp in the way the TRPs are monitored and there should be one centralised system, pan India, which should provide the necessary information. This is definitely a big exercise but when so much is at stake, this needs to be done.

And then only entertainment could probably get back it's intrinsic value along with the much abused face value.

Agree with what you wrote about talented actors getting lost in the maze because suddenly somewhere had an idea to take a leap, or shut down shop or take irrational turns. Am also waiting for my leads of Laado to return back - they deserve so, after doing a great job and securing good TRPs for their show throughout. And yes, they can act pretty well.
But is there someone up there to listen to our pleas and grant us our wishes.

aish_punk thumbnail
hey..really good topic!..

i really liked what you said :)..TRPs are no way of measuring how good a show is..n especially when the shows are ruined because of this, it puts me off indian shows, really!

i think the concept of short-time shows like the english ones are good!..we should have seasons, so that it doesn't get monotonous..n people don't have to say goodbye to the shows at once!

if a show is liked, it can have a lot of seasons,and people won't get bored of it that way, which drives out the need for stupid turns and twists

i think this concept is making its way into  Indian TV with shows like rishta.com and mahi way..but i think it wasn't encouraged much..so they might not have a second season!..thats just sad because these shows were really close to reality and something the general Indian audience could relate to!

Neerjaa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
  Aish thats very good idea about seasons as many other members has also suggested. .....This way different stories can be attempted with the same lead...Should be there be a Time frame of soaps,  that will enhance the quality of the product and as well security  and pressure of work among the actors.....This way soaps will get rid of unnecessary  turns/ twists, if have to replace the actor then plastic surgery or untimely death  and the leap year., no say or interference of the channel in the middle of the soap, so that  Production House can create the product of his own vision....Viewers will get to see variations not the copy-cats of each others....Should go back in to DD,s early time or the starting of the channels , when there were stories with more progressive and original  concept...That time perhaps was there was no funda of TRP
mozart66 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Perfectly written!!! My thoughts exactly! Well said!!!

Thank you for voicing our concerns in such a good way. Congrats!