Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Neerjaa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
Meghna very well defined the TRP,influencing the story-line....Many shows which most of the people criticize because of illogical twists or violence are on the top...Viewers are also responsible for this to some extent., because of them channels are churning out same kind of stuff....If some thing different is shown then have very less viewership....
hinz thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 9

brilliantly written Shobs πŸ‘
I totally agree and sympathize with you as I've been a victim too of this dreaded word TRP... and with the way its going its soon going to turn into a swearword in the television industry...

I couldn't agree  more on the issue of the way the TRPs are measured...how can a few households decide the fate of any show? ...what about all the overseas viewers who watch and love the shows equally ?... we have seen shows end abruptly or treated to a whole phase of senseless twists and turns just for the sake of garnering high TRP ,the entire feeling of watching good television has been lost in the race ...

Television is a mighty medium these days and with new channels being launched rapidly, the competition has greatly increased I agree but there must be better ways to combat the issue ...

Initially the channels succeed in riveting the audiences' attention with the vigorous promotion of new shows and once the viewers are hooked to the 'original ' concept ,they either conveniently change the storyline drastically  or put an end to the show altogether blaming it all on the numbers that  the show failed to achieve ...

The viewers and even actors for that matter feel cheated and it puts you off watching television and we fear getting attached to any show as it might end abruptly again....the noteworthy performances by actors who put in such hard work to bring their characters to life ,all is rendered futile ...and their creativity is never satisfied as the channels and production houses fall prey to greatly bothering TRPs...

hope the concerned people give our views a serious thought and begin making sensible ,short term and predecided concept shows and help keep the television charm alive...

Lastly ,please change the way the TRPs are guaged ...dont make the worldwide audiences feel left out !
Edited by hinz - 13 years ago
destinylove thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Hey I appreciate this article 
some points are very good πŸ‘

Now a days we are getting  few  good  realistic  quality shows., in some channels

It is improving😊Not everything is dark 😊

But I wish to tell one more addtional points 

What they show for enhancing the trps also have connection with audience tastes..

The  taste of some sections of the female  audience who form the majority of daily soaps

are really sad...

When they portray simple stories without any dramatic complications....  I have  heard many females

( inluding my relatives )complaining  ...this is boring...

many want some excitement to happen all the time.

Their mentality  also needs change 😊

and I  also wish shows should not drag indefintiely by showing some stupid things like

generation leaps etc., unwantedly and out of place...

Shows should be definitely more realistic with girls looking like next door

girls  and ... without too much Over the top make ups ...

like wearing jewellery ....fancy sarees at home ... too much make up even while

sleeping ., (wher on earth females do all this I really cant get)    males exposing too

much muscles and  skin  to attract young female audience inapporpraitely   and

highly out of place(once in a while it is o.k.)  etc.,

Trps are here to stay because some yard stick is needed for gauging business ....and it is always profitability first for all corporate people..

..But  channel/production houses also carry the moral resposibility of changing the

tastes of audience by showing different realistic concepts without changing the

concept and original tracks in between...They should balance profitability with

quality of the content..   

Now a days there are shows which are coming with realisitc middle class  concepts where

as few years it was not so .......

So things are changing..... let us hope it is for the betterment

But I do agree still a long way to go..but there is still  some light  at the end of the tunnel
Edited by sshriyaa84 - 13 years ago
-GredForge- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
SOO TRUE!!!!THIS TRP'S  I HATE 'EM!!!! I LOVE TERE LIYE AND EVEN THOUGH ITS TR'S R GUD ITS BEING CLOSED DOWN!!!
SO U SEE TRP'SRNOT THE ONLY ENEMIES OF OUR FANS ITS EKTA AND SP PPL ALSO!!!!!
babli102030 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
loved the article .thank god somebody talked about the nonsense shown in just for TRP.....the values and the sanctity is being killed slowly....I must thank u once again
fj08 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: mnx12

Very well put, but there is an exception in case of LTL, where trp's are good , but the channel is interested in ruining it by removing the lead hero,inspite of hundreds of posts send to the concerned responsible people in the channel, with no official reply from their side. Here viewers are taken for granted just to satisfy their ego. Resaons can vary but the serial does get killed.

i thought it was Mishal who was moving ahead and didnt want to continue doing the show... i dont follow the show so maybe i am misinformed
ssroomani thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5

Thank you all for your comments!   and thanks to those who posted related articles! πŸ˜Š

It was the bad end to YPNHK and now DSDV falling prey to the TRP game which made me think about it.  YPNHK had a lovely beginning and I fell in love with the cast, the set and the story but after 3 months things began to change and then the last 2 months were just terrible.  In fact, it ended so suddenly, it was not even given time to end properly; the show just shut shop! 😭 It is one of the few shows which I watched from beginning to end without missing an episode and towards the end, it was torture to watch it! 

Now DSDV, another show which I loved is going the same way, but thankfully, it is at least being ended properly......and it is just 5 months old. πŸ˜” But in these 5 months, most of the story did come out and now it is ending on happy note  (though that was not planned......it is again the TRPs!),  so the heartache is less.  πŸ˜Š But this is what made me think that we should have predecided number of episodes and a fixed story in the beginning itself - that would keep the story good and the viewers satisfied. 

Definitely some scale is needed to measure the success of a show, but the way TRPs are being measured does not make sense.......8000 households in a country of billions and with a lot of viewers abroad as well?  πŸ˜² We need something better that this!

The way TRPs are going now, either they force a good show to end or they keep a bad show alive! 😑 Some shows go on and on with twists and turns because TRPs are good.....but how can one believe the TRPs as they are measured now present the true picture?   Sometimes, a show has finished all that it had to say, but because TRPs are good, it takes a leap and then continues with horrendous twists............Either way, TRPs kill the shows!

Looking forward to more viewpoints.....😊
Edited by ssroomani - 13 years ago
Thinker_Belle thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
I totally agree with all the points mentioned, Shobs, and also, I agree with Hina.. While gauging TRPs, please consider the global audiences too! Its so frustrating to see your beloved characters and plots turn into some awful ununderstandable monstrosities just because there is no TRP for the show, and viewers not in Indiadont have a say in this because we dont count!!!  If your show is telecast worldwide, then all the viewers worldwide should also be taken into account...

I never knew what TRPs meant untill my favorite show Yeh Pyar Na Hoga Kam started going downhill in terms of story and character development, and I couldn't understand why... I tried to believe that the producers and concerned people would make sure to turn the story around, as the concept was great - fresh love story in between the caste differences and great chemistry between the leads...and somehow it will all become OK again, but no.. they killed it completely, just because there were no viewers for what they were offereing, or so said those machines that were hooked to some thousands of TVs in a billion household audiences... How on earth could they have such power?? Why wouldn't they take into consideration what other people might think, people that were not in the elite target audience?

Again, I agree with the concept of watching a show from start to end,  as it was meant to be, rather than watch a long running show that deviates from the main plot with rediculous twists and turns and hedious new characters that make the show watching experience a pain in the area of choice....

If showmakers are reading this, please sirs, give us a show that doesn't  deviate from its main plot just to garner the audience that are hooked to your TRP gauging machines... We as an audience would want to see nothing more than a sensible show without rediculous and illogical twists that challenge our intelligence and hedious charecters that are brought in from no where to "appeal" to a greater audience.

pia09 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Hi shobs, I totally agree that because of TRP good serials have been forced to close. 
Faraan92 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Totally agree with da topic maker..πŸ‘πŸΌ

Very well written.πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

"Jaane kya baat hui" was also 1 of da best show on Indian television bt da Cv's changed its storyline nd den it shifted to a new timeslot (just coz of Trp's) nd abruptly ended..😑😭
Edited by Faraan_4_Shweta - 13 years ago