daaktar - isskul etc

rgattu thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago

Hi all

I have seen a lot of you commenting on the pronunciation and accent etc...

My mother teaches in a premium ICSE school. Her subject is Physics and she teaches class 10,9 and 8.
She studied in kannada medium - 10th, Inter, Degree etc... as she is from a small village...

She has been working for more than 20 yrs in a big city...she was a housewife first and then due to some circumstances she had to venture out and start working and she literally learnt spekaing English from my sister and me.

She still says JERO for ZERO, FLATFORM for PLATFORM and many more which some of you might find very amusing and deduce that she might be uneducated.

But I am proud of my Mum, she is the HOD for Physics in her school, she is a member of ICSE Board Delhi and is a big part of the Board processes and she is most importantly a TEACHER in an English Medium premier school where probably even the watchman says ZERO and not JERO...but does it matter?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

yeh we are also kannadigas
yes my mom also says ALARAM  for alarm- infact my dad is director of company he says alaram

and for words like proof - PROOPF
for place like chicago wher it is spelt sheekago they actual pronounce it as cheecyaago and for

SWITZERALAND SWIZZERLAND

Me and my husband  have anice laugh so many times
rgattu thumbnail
Originally posted by: shon703

yeh we are also kannadigas

yes my mom also says ALARAM  for alarm- infact my dad is director of company he says alaram

and for words like proof - PROOPF
for place like chicago wher it is spelt sheekago they actual pronounce it as cheecyaago and for

SWITZERALAND SWIZZERLAND

Me and my husband  have anice laugh so many times

@Shon703, I think you misunderstand me... I don't laugh at my mum...

my point was that pronunciation is not something that should be made fun of.
English is a foreign language used primarily in urban areas of India as a main language, but most of rural India (which is the majority) still speak the local language...

and education is not to be equated with how well one speak's English...
I studied in a convent school and was happy with the way I spoke English ...never gave it a second thought
when I started living in London I realised my mistake...there were words that I wasn't getting right...

my point is - please don't equate education with how well one pronounces English words...one may be highly educated and not speak a word of English!

Originally posted by: rgattu

@Shon703, I think you misunderstand me... I don't laugh at my mum...

my point was that pronunciation is not something that should be made fun of.
English is a foreign language used primarily in urban areas of India as a main language, but most of rural India (which is the majority) still speak the local language...

and education is not to be equated with how well one speak's English...
I studied in a convent school and was happy with the way I spoke English ...never gave it a second thought
when I started living in London I realised my mistake...there were words that I wasn't getting right...

my point is - please don't equate education with how well one pronounces English words...one may be highly educated and not speak a word of English!

kya yaar is everyone in this forum so kiddish and sensitive.  cheey it s getting boring now, when i meant we laugh, i said, we just ahve a laugh abt it and realx, not make fun.

scahee so so boring u guys yaar

is there  any stupid on this earth to laugh at mom das stuuff who gave birth to us.  kay bakwaas bore kar dete hain , even i live in UK since sevral years now , but funning did not mean making fun of it is just to ahve alaugh
chalo yaar googbye - moood of kar diya... honestly this forum is so so serious 

ruchira23 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
i agree with u rgattu😊 it happens b'coz of regional touch. my mamu belongs to jamshedpur and we are bengali so whenever he speaks in english he often makes a different pronunciation like(besht- to best, phrend- to friend. he is a mechenical engineer in tata
rgattu thumbnail
thanks ruchira...i am happy there are atleast 2 of you who commented on this post...
i felt strongly about this and hence opened the thread, but when it was getting viewed but no response, i was surprised...it felt a bit weird!

but anyways, topic very close to my heart because i know what my mum went through at her first job because of her English despite being extremely good in her subject...i was in 9th class! and my sis in 7th...we taught her to speak

and my hubby is from Jampot!
Edited by rgattu - 13 years ago
ammoos thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
The recent cmments of us has nothing to do with region or has any connection with village. It's all because little Anandi used to pronounce them correctly and ever since the first leap she has completely become uneducated. Doctor became daaktar and school became iskool. If she was the same from right beginning the problem is not there. Why she has to act so dumb all of a sudden. Edited by ammoos - 13 years ago
rgattu thumbnail
@ammoos
but my point also was not in context of Anandi at all...

my point was not to equate education and English...thats all.

especially in india i have always seen that anyone who is well spoken in english we think they are properly educated, thats all i wanted to point out...

and anyway lack of exposure reverts you...i can vouch for that because i have...

please dont take offence... it was just to give an example that we can be very wrong judging people by one's english skills, thats all...

ammoos thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

I know people cant be judged by english or any other language and no one has done that too.. Even I am from a regional medium school and have seen and heard people spelling words wrong. The talk of education and english never came..  Language is for communication and no mater how its spelled. Even the British and American english are different. like Colours and colors😆 both are the same..All were commenting on Anandi's point of view only. She was not the one who used to be like that.. all of a sudden her change in dictation triggered anger in us and nothing more..

pjyo thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
I have commented on badi  anandi  pronouncing ' daaktar' and 'pffoone'  but it was never with the intension of making fun of regional accents but merely to  point that choti  anandi used to   pronounce  'doctor' and 'phone'  before leap but the CVs suddenly decided to change it in a delibrate attempt to show badi anandi as less  educated ... 
Accents certainly are not a yardstick of a person's knowledge ,what they have to say is that matters...

😉Actually i loved it when  my maths teacher used to shout at us in his mallu accent  .My parents  have that accent too and i absolutely love it  ðŸ˜ƒ