nirubharya thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
I do not get chance to watch RMJ on regular basis soI catch up on Saturedays when all the episodes of the week repeat. here is what I see:

1. Cudos to the writers of the show who are writing a very realistic and different type of show.

2. Cudos to all the actors who are doing excellent job specially Krutika Desai, Mahi Vij (Hetal), Anukalp, Bijal, Kalpesh (Anu's Father), Bapuji and Karan. All the other actors are also very good but they do not get screen time. 

3. I always felt that there are two sides to Ambaji - One that is very loving and fair and the other is very rigid and controlling. her loving side is shown every time she deals with her children when they are down - for example when in the begining when Hetal was upset about her marriage topic and being manglik, Ambaji dealt with her in a very loving way. When Anukalp talked to her about why he does not agree with hetal's marraige proposal in relatively calmer manner she listened. She also gave Mona the cheque to offer in front of Shrinathji. By doing so she gave her acceptance of Mona and showed her understanding that when Anukalp offered her the cheque he did it with Mona's agreement. 
Ambaji is also sharp and put Bijal in her place when she was trying to create a rift between her and Mona During the sweet making incident when she asked Mona if she should put more Kismis> Ambaji not only answered her back but clearly showed that she and Mona have a stronger bond. 

However, she  is not always able to resist the influence of Baa and Bijal. They are always trying to control all family decisions. Every time Bijal causes a lot of noise and blames Mona, Ambaji gets so stressed out as she views it as an attack on her upbringing of Anukalp. She in her stressed out state lashes out at him and mainly Mona.  I have seen this happened in a lot of large extended families.  Specially mother becomes so stressed out when members like aunts, mother inlaws or elderly relatives start critisizing the children. The mother would lash out at children in turn  

What is her problem is her rigid ideas about what is appropriate and what is not. She is very rigid about that. I have seen people like that in real life. These kind of people have a very high opinion of their own values and anything that does not fit into their idea of what is proper and what is not that they get on their moral high horse and tremple all around them who they think are not conforming to their values and standards. She has to learn to let go a little and they would have a great family.

i really like Bapuji's character. the writers have developed his character very well. he has values but he also understands the younger generation and their feelings. He pushes Mona to work hard to become part of the family but he also encourages her and praises her. he recognizes that mona is a loving girl and is trying to win every one and is also trying to help her. But when all others misunderstood Anukalp and blamed Mona for rejecting the proposal he encouraged her to not try to please others but stand up for what she and Anukalp believe. i was very impressed by that whole segment.

I also liked Hetal's acting and her and Mona's interaction. hetal shows so many emotions in a very effective manner. 

What is your opinion?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sherma thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
fab post. a very good analysis done on rmj.all the actors in the show play their character very well.i really like krutika desai,she is doing awesum job.Edited by sherma - 13 years ago
Infofan thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
nice post Niru. Kruttika is indeed a great actress.
Shas3 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
i must say that ambaji's character is very well developed...kinda reminds me of my mom in some ways...nevertheless very good observation
gardes thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Great analysis, Niru.  I am an infrequent watcher and more of a reader.

The interactions between the 2 families are very realistic and appropriate, though at times exaggerated for entertainment value.

If Ambaji had brought home another Gujju wife for her Anukalp, she would have the same reaction as she does with Mona.  Yes, she is on a high horse but also starting to care enough to see Mona settle in.

Having said that, Anukalp, in her mind her goody-2-shoes son, is a product of her moral values and she sees a side of him with his wife that is not very palatable to her and she has a rude awakening.  He is raised to "obey" Ambaji.  It will take time for her to give up her "obedient" son to a non-Gujju wife.

Mona has brought her own style and will eventually let go of her hurts and fear of Ambaji and fit in well with the household and Ambaji.

Ambaji sees Mona for who Mona is, flighty and immature, and wants to mold her to fit the family.  Ambaji was very responsible when she entered the family (early on Dadaji said that) and took the reins very ably (much to Ba's chagrin) and Mona cannot seem to do that easily.  I hope she does not to kill Mona's personality in the process of molding her.

Ba and Fui are doing what they are supposed to do best - a foil for Ambaji.

Fui's husband is on the fence so he does not count much, but I wish Kalpesh is made more vocal as well in keeping peace in the house and bringing Ambaji to the middle from the far right.  The writers are not using him enough.

Dadaji is strict in his own way, yet understanding and practical.  Dadaji ne duniya dekhi hai.  He chooses not to interfere in matters related to the womenfolk, so as an ex-teacher, has privately taken Mona under his wing.  I like his character a lot.

The writers are doing a good job of keeping the characters straight so far.  Lets see how they develop these characters further.
Edited by gardes - 13 years ago
arunima_LUIT thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Wonderful analysis ....

Mona is bubbly ..anukalp is sweet n subtle ..Bapujee is understanding n with high values

Icing on the cake is ambajee ...so rigid ..yet loving ...so strict but lots of shades hidden inside her ......

Love d show
😊
supria thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Great post 😊and superb analysis of Ambaji...also loved the bit abt Hetal....Krutika Desai is doing a fabulous job as Ambaji...especially when she mellows from her rigid stand to accepting...many instances, like agreeing to celebrate Holi, accepting Mona's tea when she was ill and so on....its a nice show and does not make you worry much....thats what we audiences need after a hectic day at work n home!😊