•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 13 years ago

GEC Watch: Most GECs lose share; is cricket to be blamed?

By afaqs! news bureau, afaqs!, New Delhi, March 17, 2011
Section: News Category: Media Publishing

The leading channel, STAR Plus, has lost 15 GRPs over the last week, as per the TAM report.

The No. 1 channel in the Hindi general entertainment channel (GEC) space, STAR Plus, has garnered 275 GRPs in week 11 which is 15 GRPs less than the previous week. Its relative share has come down marginally from 22.7 per cent in Week 10 to 22.4 per cent in Week 11.

The No. 3 channel, Zee TV has also met with a similar fate. It has lost 14 GRPs and its relative share is at 16.5 per cent.

However, Viacom18's channel Colors, at No. 2, is the only one to have increased its GRPs, though very marginal. IT has gained 4 GRPs taking its viewership to 235 GRPs in week 11.

Though Sony has also lost seven GRPs, the week has proved good for it. It has regained its No. 4 position with 133 GRPs, while its rival sister SAB TV has lost 19 GRPS and back at No. 5 with 124 GRPs.

SAB is followed by DD1 at No. 6, which has recorded a relative share of 7.9 per cent.

Imagine TV witnessed a loss in its relative share, from 5.9 per cent in Week 10, to 5.6 per cent in Week 11. While STAR One and STAR Utsav have garnered relative shares of 2.8 per cent and 2.3 per cent, respectively, Sahara One has garnered 2 per cent relative share.

Is the loss of GRPs related to cricket? Agrees Satyajit Sen, executive vice-president, ZenithOptimedia, "Channels have lost shares most probably because of the cricket season. It should be more evident in another week when the World Cup fever becomes more intense."

Sandeep Lakhina, chief operating officer, Starcom MediaVest Group, says, "GECs have lost insignificant market share. The fluctuation is not very visible. If this continues for long, then it ought to be because of the World Cup. In the next few weeks, it will show if it is really because of the cricket tournament. If this is the reason, then the drops should be steeper."

N Sathyamurthy, chief executive officer, Karishma Initiative, explains further, "There are some one-time viewers, too, who keep on switching programmes. Hence, for them, the shares vary from one week to another. GECs are also not doing anything great to help them garner shares in the market. There has been a little bit of stagnation in this segment, with no new reality format shows or any other new shows coming up."

On the list of the 10 most watched programmes on Hindi GECs, Pavitra Rishta on Zee TV rules at No. 1 with a TVR of 6.61. It is followed closely by Yahan Mein Ghar Ghar Kheli on Zee TV, which has a TVR of 5.11.

Saathiya Saath Nibhana on STAR Plus is the third most watched programme, recording a TVR of 4.57, followed by Na Aana Is Des Laado at No. 4, with 4.24 TVR. Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai is at No. 5, with a TVR of 4.23.

The other shows on the list are Uttaran, Laagi Tujhse Lagan, Balika Vadhu, Pratigya, and Jhansi Ki Rani.

yah..PR RULES... i am so happy.. congo to YMGGK and JKR as well.
OMG 6.61 TRP during WC 😲
Thats awesome, well done PR team, you rock!!!🥳
Great New.. Thanks for sharing.. TVR of 6.61 yayyyyyyyyyy PR Rocks.. No other show is near to this in the rating..
Oh goodness me ...it has crossed 6 . Unbelievable yaar ....
I am hating this savita track but for me the most important thing is PR doing well ..I want the lead actors to be associated with the number one show ....So I am happy  , very happy .....🥳
Originally posted by Tanyaz

Oh goodness me ...it has crossed 6 . Unbelievable yaar ....
I am hating this savita track but for me the most important thing is PR doing well ..I want the lead actors to be associated with the number one show ....So I am happy  , very happy .....🥳
 Look at yesterday's TRPS. as soon as they showed evil savita and manav as wimp.... that did it.

Karsri , I only give importance to the GEC watch ratings ...they are weekly ratings and they show how much repeat value the show had ....
I mean how many people watched it first tiem and also thought it was good enough to catch later ....maybe after seeing it or reading the update ...
If this new track of Manav splitting up with Archana is not popular then the GEC ratings will also fall next week ....
Let's see and hope they do things right ...Even my sister said ...if they seperate Manav and Archana again for whatever reason , people will just give up  the show ...but let's see ...
Wohoooooooo🥳🥳🥳

PR is ROCKING the charts