Posted: 13 years ago
Hello, I am a Polish girl (from Poland, a Central East European Country). I am a white girl ofcourse.

Why does this girl say "Gora ko marbhagana hai"??? ... it is offending. Why not say "British"? Why entire continent, all the populations?

You yourself, many, live and have relations in our lands. You feel good about it?

You can point out to British for historical reference.

You never feel that this is objectionable? Is this not racist?

By the way, I am married in India with very good inlaws. I came this year for visit with my husband, and saw this promotion. I understand Hindi quite well! If you can see from my perspective even once, this is highly objectionable.

Zofi.

Edited by Polki_Zofi - 13 years ago
Actually at that time Indians very fed up of atrocities of these Britishers and they collectively/ in general called them 'GORA' or 'FIRANGI' they did'nt had any racist intentions. 'Gore' means those white people who were ruling them i.e Britishers and maybe at that time commonman or villagers were not literate to spell british so they called them gore. They did'nt meant that people of other countries who are white are their enemies they only meant britishers. I hope my explanation is satisfactory to you😊

It is correct that if someone today said "Those kothe gore" I would personally slap them across the head. It doesn't matter what your skin colour is, the personality is what you can freely like or dislike. For example, It's a different matter entirely if someone says "Oh that ignorant muppet!"

However the show is based fact and history, and in that time and place Indians were indeed sick to the stomach of British atrocity. Also the majority of the population were not educated (Therefore the british found it easy to manipulate them I guess.). It's why to get there bitterness out labels like "gore" and "firangi" were used as an insult. It is understandable if you research East India Company time in that country. Which is why the show, to be realistic still uses these terms to describe the british. It's not a huge aim to insult anyone and everyone who is white-skinned...it's to keep the show realistic.

If you are a regular watcher, you'd have seen that in many episodes the Queen of Jhansi befriends many British. If they have a honest and caring nature such as Mr. Ellis. Only those who are cruel gain her hatred.

Also in actual history you'll probably know that the Queen protected many British women and children despite their skin colour and who their husbands and fathers were during the independency war.

If you think hard about it then it's not about being racist in that time.

Today, now that nearly everyone has a chance of a education and such atrocity is banned from day one I would understand if someone came up to you and said "Gori." in an insulting manner that you would object.

But I can not understand your objection to the history of Jhansi and the terms used in the past.

Please take no offence. :)
Edited by alias90 - 13 years ago
but here lakshmibai is educated..yaar..she speaks very good englishπŸ˜†πŸ˜‰
Hello, no I don't know the Queen of Jhansi and what were her problems with the British, and neither did I watch one single episode of this show. The only thing that gained my distaste was the objectionable remark on how she takes up that knife and says that she wants to push the whites away.

Alias, your explanation on those illiterate Indians of their time is based on "those" times. Not in today's times where many Indians are in countries like UK, speaking English (a mark of their education), wear western attire, prefer western food, even the display pics I see mostly in India forums carry western men and women (WHITE), claiming and being more proud of their British citizenship than their Indianness. It is now not a hidden fact in the west that Indians always trying to do what the British or Americans do. Good or bad doesn't really matter much.

While my words might be retaliated by you, but think about it first and maybe you will see truth in it.

In today's time, even if you show history, you must be aware of sensibilities of other people. This show is definitely not. How about making abusive remarks on Somalian Pirates by saying "we need to beat the crap out of the blacks"? If Indians are educated now, it is high time the education is used before such remarks are made, even if they were made once ... THEY WERE WRONG.

You yourself say that this Queen saved some Brits. Then why do she make such reckless remark? She is in conflict within herself? If she realizes that she is the enemy of oppressors only, and not the whole white population in the world, then I think it should be enough for her to rephrase her words. No need to follow the illiterate subjects of hers. She can make an example by doing it.

Again, the whole world of white people are NOT BRITISH. We Europeans are naturally white, and there is nothing which makes us wrong for that. It creates a tense atmosphere in the family when a white girl sits amidst and such a comment is screamed at with a knife in the hands of a little Indian girl. It is sick.

Maybe you will not be able to see my perspective. As they say "some people find racism only when the white person does it .... " ... this show is open racism through the mouth of a child.

You may all be very angry on me ... but I said what I felt and that too openly. You should know, DEFINITELY YOU SHOULD KNOW how it sounds to the ears of the others who may end up hearing it. No, not everyone of us see the whole show or know the history behind it .... but once we hear it, we sense hatred which is painful.

No offence.

Edited by Polki_Zofi - 13 years ago

The point I am making I don't think you understand due to this line:

"In today's time, even if you show history, you must be aware of sensibilities of other people. "

Why?

If we changed history and what was said then to suit sensibilities of todays people then it's not much of a history is it? Unfortunately the truth of the matters then can't be hidden to suit the more correct emotions of today. At the end of the day, the fact everyone just going to have to accept is that such words were used in reference to the British at that time and that is what the show is for, to show us what happened at that time.

Yes, it was wrong of the indians to use words like that, but like you said neither have you seen the show or read on the history of it, so understanding in what reference the line was used is not something you could do. Even though it is wrong, it is a chance for people to see it today and for us as a responsibility to explain to our children "Look kid, we understand they had harsh times but using this type of language is refrained today because of so and so...Thankfully today we are a more unified and will continue to be so."

Even when India and Pakistan divided, and the hatred for different religions happened.... we all still see movies describing that hatred don't we? "That **** muslim! I'll kill you!" "I hate sikhs!" "Bloody hindus!" etc etc etc...

We get that don't we? Do we oppose to films/dramas depicting this hatred because we can't handle it? No, we watch it and we LEARN from the mistakes of the past.

You keep talking about Indians of today, why? Jhansi Ki Rani is about the past, what does that particular line you have an objection to have anything to do with us today? We are all happily living together in India, Pakistan and England today. And watching such a show it is simply a chance for us to realise mistakes and to continue the way we have settled our lives now.

Also, "As they say "some people find racism only when the white person does it .... "

Indians were not being racist in that time, they were burdened individuals who were tired of atrocities against them. They probably didn't even KNOW that such language could be taken as racism! Which is what the Historical show is portraying. In bitter moments it's hard to hold back such anger. As you explained perfectly, life is so easy for Indians (whatever skin colour they are, we are thankfully a more mixed) today in comparison to those times, what with our western attire and behaviour. :p And why not, we should all mix our cultures happily yes? What with English and Europeans now accepting and taking indian fashion as well? Kurti's...asian style slippers, embroidery...where does all that style originate from? Eating Indian food on every British street? I am happy with it, since it's not just a one way thing now is it? ALL our cultures are mixing, which is a good thing!

Yes there are people who will find any excuse to start up difficult situations and blame it on the 'white person', I thankfully am not. I have not made a personal remark against you in what I thought was a thoughful debate. I am definately not racist and against 'white people', I enjoy all company and only judge people for their personalities. I hope you don't attempt to imply otherwise again. Oh and FYI, I'm British. Thankyou. :)

P.s Of course we are not angry at you, no one said anything of the sort. I enjoy debates. People here like seeing the different angle and opinions. We all have the right to express them as long as we don't step on anyone else during this.
Originally posted by victoria12

but here lakshmibai is educated..yaar..she speaks very good englishπŸ˜†πŸ˜‰

Absolutely yaar, thank god for that. πŸ˜† How else would she have fought the East India Company so well?

But, the thinking process and education standards of that time are different to our time now aren't they? Therefore behaviour then would have been different to behaviour we expect now today.

Thankfully, we have advanced. 😳

All praise Science! πŸ‘ Haha!
Hey Zofi,

Well "aye gore" in those times meant only tot he britishers because at that time Indians only knew Britishers from the European countries(the portugese and all too but later on only Britishers ruled over India). So Rani Lakshmi Bai said that to them only not to the whole of Europeans. Yes its racist now but the serial is about Indian history, they are trying to potray what the they might have done, they might have spoken in those times...so the point of being Racist NOW does not arise at all.

I hope u did understand y she says that..

@alias90: u just said the same thing...y did i write it againπŸ˜†

Snehal
Edited by deereyedgal504 - 13 years ago
Originally posted by deereyedgal504

Hey Zofi,

Well "aye gore" in those times meant only tot he britishers because at that time Indians only knew Britishers from the European countries(the portugese and all too but later on only Britishers ruled over India). So Rani Lakshmi Bai said that to them only not to the whole of Europeans. Yes its racist now but the serial is about Indian history, they are trying to potray what the they might have done, they might have spoken in those times...so the point of being Racist NOW does not arise at all.

@alias90: u just said the same thing...y did i write it againπŸ˜†
Daarrlling! <3

You wrote it in much simpler and probably more easier to understand terms than I did. I get all passionate and start blathering and blabbing on and on and on. πŸ˜•πŸ˜†πŸ˜ƒ
Originally posted by alias90

Daarrlling! <3

You wrote it in much simpler and probably more easier to understand terms than I did. I get all passionate and start blathering and blabbing on and on and on. πŸ˜•πŸ˜†πŸ˜ƒ

πŸ˜†πŸ˜† really? i think i wrote alot around the bush...that happens alot of times to me
I guess the english exam tomorrow is doing the magic πŸ˜ƒ otherwise i just blabber nonsense!

Edited by deereyedgal504 - 13 years ago