Zor Ka Jhatka

Shah Rukh @ Tag Heuer Launch

fuzzyface thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
 Bollywood superstar the main attraction at launch of luxury watch's boutique

MENTION TAG Heuer and the image of luxury watches in stylish designs comes to mind.

With a history dating back to 150 years, the Swiss brand has built a strong reputation and is considered one of the pioneers in the luxury watch industry.

The brand attained another milestone when it opened its first global concept boutique at Suria KLCC recently, the first in Malaysia.

Speaking from the heart: Babin (right) and Shah Rukh Khan (second from right) at the launch of the new boutique in Suria KLCC.

The main highlight of the launch was the presence of the brand's iconic ambassador Datuk Shah Rukh Khan accompanied by TAG Heuer chief executive officer and president Jean-Christophe Babin.

Some of the die-hard fans were seen struggling to get a glimpse of the star and holding on to their cameras and handphones trying to get a perfect picture of the popular actor

Following the landmark design of the TAG Heuer 360 Museum in Switzerland, the brand aims to bring a new watchmaking culture to Malaysia via the concept boutique.

The boutique adopts a contemporary design and visual identity that reflects the brand's values and trademark style.

Measuring 93sqm, the new boutique shows off the latest creations as well as the new series of TAG Heuer leather accessories, avant-garde spectacles and the new Meridiist communication tool.

Luxury goods: The new concept boutique offers watches, eyewear, accessories and mobile phones.

In an exclusive interview before the launch, Babin expressed his passion about the brand known for its consistency.

Babin has been at the helm of TAG Heuer since November 2000 and draws his inspiration from the TAG Heuer DNA.

He said as one of the oldest watch making companies from Switzerland, TAG Heuer was mostly family-owned until the 1980s.

"We were the first one in 1916 to get the 1/100th of a second mechanical, which opened the gates to timing the Olympic Games in 1920s.

"Till today we are one of the capable watch making companies who has produced mechanical chronograph, represented in Geneva accurate 1/100th of a second.

"We have established and reinforced unique leadership in mastering the most accurate time covering many different sports thanks to out time keeping instruments," he said.

Babin said before 1916, sport events were measured 1/5th of a second.

This, according to Babin was not accurate enough to establish a real winner sometimes.

With the precise time-keeping instrument, the company has helped to add integrity to sports and this is a source of pride for the brand.

In the luxury market worldwide, TAG Heuer is the fourth largest brand and in Malaysia it is the second largest. "We have a very strong investment and our boutique is the seventh in Malaysia, making it the second country in terms of boutique behind China and worldwide.

"For us, Malaysia is a primary market and by bringing Shah Rukh Khan, it shows how serious we take the market's potential," he said, adding that the boutique helped to reaffirm the brand's stellar position in the industry.

He added China was a challenge as they only ventured into it two years ago, thus they would have to employ similar strategy like in Malaysia to become one of the leading brands.

"Out target for Malaysia is to become No. 1 and enhance our reputation and the desirability factor."

TAG Heuer has a long list of ambassadors from actor Leonardo DiCaprio, Formula 1 champion Lewis Hamilton to Shah Rukh Khan.

"Shah Rukh Khan is known for his versatility. We have a talented guy who can go from Om Shanti Om, Don to My Name Is Khan.

"Shah Rukh Khan is not sitting on his success but building and enriching it every day by working as well as developing his talent, so that is what we like in TAG Heuer," he said.

During the interview Babin also shared a few tips for luxury watch collectors.

He said the watches had to be kept running and every three years it needed servicing, like cars.

During the launch, the charming Shah Rukh Khan spoke fondly of his friendship with TAG Heuer.

"It is a watch that has been around for 150 years and the kind of watch you can pass on from generation to generation.

"When I was growing up I used to read books by James Hadley Chase and one of the proTAGonists wears a TAG Heuer watch.

"I have always wanted to own a TAG Heuer watch, so when they asked me to become an ambassador it was a dream come true," he said, adding that it has been a satisfying working relationship.

"It is a piece of legacy you can continue wearing and the technology is one of the finest," he said.

Khan said some of the designs he liked were Carrera, Steve McQueen, Monaco and V4.

"I have more watches than in the showroom, so I am very fortunate but I like the Monaco the most and carry the watches everywhere," he said.

Source: The Star, Malaysia

SRK was super nice 😳
Edited by fuzzyface - 13 years ago