Who Gave Music of Aradhana? - Page 3

Posted: 13 years ago
So sad, a litigation on the song.
Roop Tera Mastana and other songs of Aradhana:
As I have said earlier, a lie repeated hundreds of times becomes truth. Kersi Lord and Bhupinder Singh have gone on record that the music is indeed by SD Burman and not RD Burman. Both can be contacted by anyone. Fotunately both are alive and active.
Manohari Singh worked with SDB for 38 of his films, while for RDB he worked for all his 292 Hindi films, from Chhote Nawab to 1942-A Love Story. To doubt what he has said in his signed interview is an insult to the late genius, who knew RDB more than anyone else.
I have heard on Vividh Bharati, where in an interview in programme titled, 'Aaj ke funkaar', Shakti Samanta has said that Rafi had gone on two months foriegn tour. So he suggested to Dada Burman to use Kishore. Dada agreed and created beautiful songs that both Rajesh Khanna and Kishore Kumar became immensely popular and never looked back.
During SD Burman's centenary celebration, Mr Bheemsinh who owns SDB.com site and is a fan of both SDB and RDB, as well as Mr HQ Chowdhury of Bangladesh (Award winner from Tripura Government and a Biographer of SDB) have told me that they had met Shakti Samanta to invite him as a guest of honor. Shaktida answered that it was SD Burman who gave music of Aradhana.
To believe Amit Kumar, who was only 15 yrs old (recording is 1-2 yrs earlier), against those who were present then, is ridiculous and preposterous.
As regards 'Sar jo tera chakraye' again who will know more than Abrar Alvi, the right hand man of Guru Dutt. Pl read below:

1957 ' Pyaasa ' Music Director SD Burman, Lyrics by Sahir 

'Sar jo tera chakraye' sung by Rafi

Guru Dutt chanced to see a maalishwala (masseur). The checked 'lungi' (loose garment tied around waist), the jaunty cap, and banian, the paraphernalia of glass bottles of oil . .       all of it seemed so right for the characterization. And so the role came to life.

As did the song 'Sar jo tera chakraye'. Guru Dutt had picked up a bunch of 78 rpm records of English songs during his visit to England. There was one tune he liked a lot, and he decided to graft it on to Pyaasa. It was from the film Harry Black and the Tiger, which, though Guru Dutt did not know it then, would be released later in India. S. D. Burman, who was composing the music for the film, was asked to copy the song note for note. Of course, Dada Burman was very upset by the instruction. He came to me and said, "What is this that Guru is asking of me, public mujhe   marega. Please explain to him, he listens to you, let me put in a little of my own tune into the   song . . . change it a bit . . .'

But Guru was adamant' the tune would have to be copied hundred percent in the mukhda at least. 'Let him do what he wants in the antara,' he decreed and Burman Dada had to be content with that.

However, the music director waved his baton effectively enough to blend the tune with his own melody in such a manner that no one really noticed the surgery, and the song remains a hit even today. 'In fact, later, when the producer of Harry Black and the Tiger visited India, he heard the song and not only failed to recognize the tune, but commended Dada on it' Abrar laughs.

(Source: 'Ten Years with Guru Dutt ' Abrar Alvi's Journey' an authorized biography by Sathya    Saran, Pages 71 and 72)

Edited by Researched - 13 years ago
Originally posted by mdroy

You know I rarely bother to comment in this forum anymore but I must say that these interviews seems inconsistent and convoluted.  Roop Tera Mastana is based on/inspired by "Tequilla" and Mere Sapno Ki Rani is a somewhat derivative of that song but turned into RDB style which is strong and evident from RDB's total body of work. I have no idea who was inspired by whom.  It is true that SDB was ill at the time so perhaps he and his son wrote it together and SDB executed it together.  Speaking stories, I heard a story from Amit Kumar stating that SDB hated Roop Tera Mastana because its annoyingly Western sound so I am not sure whose story to believe.  Obviously there were many songs in Aradhana which were clearly SDB (for example the title song). I am not sure why this is being re-litigated now, did something important happen?  Is there some sort of estate dispute?  They were both geniuses and credit goes to both the father for being so inspirational to his son and to a son who was talented out of the womb (e.g. Writing the tel malish song when he was a kid)
oy ji

dear mdroy ji, we have had many discussion on this topic before, it is unlikely that some one of Raju Bhartyan's stature who has written books on evolution of Bollywood music and who has served as editor of entertainment section in ToI will write some thing so wrong. 
(reference-the article sited by me)

Being musicians ourselves it is easy for us to make out the chords and progression used in this song (roop tera mastana), which is typically Pancham's.

If there is truth in the conversations quoted may I suggest humbly to put them in form of article and try to publish in a news paper of big repute.

Interestingly when Ankush asked  Kersi about (in front of a big audience) a piece played by Kersi Lord in one of the 70s music , he couldn't remember how and when he composed it..! But he is a true genius and so is his brother Bujji Lord (drummer).

Friends,
We must all be ready to accept the truth. We should believe those who took part in creating these songs (Kersi Lord, Manohari Singh, Bhupinder Singh and Shakti Samanta), rather than believing those who were not present, but love gossip.
With due respect to knowledgeable people in this forum, can we say that Kishore Kumar, Manohari Singh, Kersi Lord and Bhupinder Singh were less knowledgeable than those in this Forum?
By replying, "Being musicians ourselves it is easy for us to make out the chords and progression used in this song (roop tera mastana),....", are you saying that the above mentioned names didn't know about these 'chords and progression'?
Let's not take credit away from those it is due to, which included Kishore Kumar, Kersi and Manohari. I am reproducing what two of those who were part of the team have said:

Kersi Lord, "

Q. Even the start which is there, you know starting with 'Roop tera mastana', that is done by SDB only himself?

KL. Yeah! Yeah! S.D. Burman and his team.

See, I only go for the recording. So, when I went to the studio, it was at Famous-Tardeo, so Burmanda called me to one side, "Suno".

He always talked in mono syllables, not long sentences. "Kersi, yeh bahut romantic gana hai. Ek fire place hai. Ek hero ek heroine hai. Baarish mein bheege hue hai, aur ekdam romance mein hai. Tumko jo bhi karna hai, karo."

"Whatever you want to do, you do it." That is what he told me.

So, lots of things I played on my own. Most of the things were given by Manohari, but all the fillings in the song, some extra things in the music which I felt like playing, I played it. And they liked it. When they appreciate it, you feel like giving more and more.

(Regarding wrong reprting, this is what Kersi has said,)

Kersi Lord:
KL. Another thing about you people (He was talking about press, we were not press, only SDB lovers.) I am going little bit off track now. Somebody wrote one book in Pune, years back, on Pancham. Whatever the mistakes in that book, - mistakes are there, hundred percent, I vouch for it, those mistakes still continue. Because when anybody writes a new book, he refers to that book, so the publishing of wrong information continues."

Manohari Singh talking about SDB, gives credit to KK:
MS: Yes. That's correct, what Kersi said.

Aapko Main batata hoon, that gaana, bante bante finally uska jab finishing banta hai na, finishing mein aata hai na, uska kuch shape alag ban jaata hai, bol aata hai, bol ka wajan ho jaata hai, bolon ko wajan mein daalne se, idhar udhar karte karte, gaana shuruaat hota hai ek type ka tune mein; aur usko sajaate sajaate, usko banaate banaate, finally uska shape change ho jaata hai.

Woh 'Roop Tera Mastana', woh Dada ka hi gaana tha, woh gaane ko usne hi banaaya tha; Dada ne. Phir Kishoreda ne kuch idea diya, wajan diya, Kishoreda ne, ki aisa kuchh karenge gaane ke bol ko, 'Roop tera mastana' gaane ke bol ko thoda thoda wajan dekar phir baad mein Dada bola to "Arre Kishore accha us ko tune bana diya. Arre bahut achcha kiya tune Kishore, achcha usko bana diya."

Kishoreda bhi great composer, great actor, no doubt about that. Unhon ne kuch bol ko karke, kuch upar neeche karke, wajan idhar udhar daalke, gaane ko ek meter mein laya. Sur was not there, then after that ahste ahste usko sur improve hua, usko sur mein laya.

Q. Par yeh normal hai, naturally assistants have to give suggestions to improve it. SDB aprove karenge nahin karenge, unke upar hai. That's what I feel.
MS
: Correct. Wohi baat hai, assistants always suggestion denge, accha suggestion hoga to woh lelega, line daal bhi dete hain aisa, kuch gaane mein, do char sur ke liye gaane ka roop hi alag ho jaata hai. Aisa hota haina na, so why not accept it, aisa bhi hota hai.
Credit goes to Burman. Haan, Kersi correct bolta hai.
 'Aradhana' ka music sab S. D. Burman Saab ka hi hai. Poora music Burman Saab ka hai. Haan, RD is mein involve nahin hai. Nahin, RD is mein involve nahin hai.
 Finally, I am willing to accompany anyone of you, who would like to meet some of these legends who are fortunately still alive. That would include Kersi, Bhupindra Singh and those who have met Shakti Samanta. Clear all your doubts before it is too late. Truth should be welcomed, not shunned.
With regards,
Moti Lalwani

And what is the evidence Researched that these interviews are authentic..? At least I sited an article which appeared in Times of India.
This article is from rediff.com; this has a lot of details about Aradhana's music, now if these articles are to be disputed it has to be in a e/print media of same repute..!

[quote]The Tuesday of October 31, 2000 marks 25 years, to the day, since that titan with whom we tuned all through his 30 years in Hindustani cinema, Sachin Dev-Burman, shuffled off his mortal coil. 

Dada Burman had been in a coma for nearly a year before October 31, 1975 -- the Friday on which he finally passed away. It was a coma that followed a stroke SD suffered while recording Kishore Kumar -- set to go, unforgettably, on Amitabh Bachchan (opposite Jaya Bhaduri playing Mili) as Badee soonee soonee hai zindagee yeh zindagee. 

That traumatic Dada breakdown accounts for why Kishore Kumar handpicked this 1975 Badee soonee soonee hai mood song to figure among his Ten All-Time Bests in The Illustrated Weekly Of India cover story (titled Genius), on him, done by Pritish Nandy. 

1975 was also the year by which Dada Burman had virtually replaced the multi-faceted Mohammed Rafi with the multi-hued Kishore Kumar in his repertoire. 

Having done that, Dada vainly tried to soften the blow for Rafi by getting this singer to duet with Kishore (in Hrishikesh Mukherjee's Chupke Chupke: 1975) as Sa re ga ma, aa ha, ma sa re ga. 

It was Rafi here going on Dharmendra (the superstar-that-almost-was) in a ribtickling role opposite the superstar-that-already-was: Amitabh Bachchan. 

Dada Burman had personally recorded Sa re ga ma before he slipped into that coma. A prolonged coma from which, Rahul Dev-Burman told me, he once ventured to shake Dada awake by conveying to football buff SD the glad tidings that his East Bengal had thrashed Mohun Bagan! 

"Dada nodded just enough to make it clear that he had heard and absorbed The Happening!" Pancham told me. 

Nor was Dada Burman into football alone. I had seen SD (seated enthusiastically on the front stone-bench) during a hockey final at the stadium adjoining the Churchgate Station in the sporty metropolis of Bombay. In fact, Dada Burman was the Master Conductor at a Music Nite organised (at the same stadium venue) to raise funds for the Bombay Hockey Association. 

Here, at that Nite, was where I beheld S D Burman patting Mohammed Rafi on the back, as that tenor gave super expression to Dada's 1958 Raag Chhayanat Majrooh-written classic on Dev Anand in Kala Pani: Hum bekhudee mein tum ko pukaare chale gaye. 

It was from the muezzin's call to prayer that Dada Burman had picked up the tune-idea for Hum bekhudee mein tum ko pukaare chale gaye -- a call running as Ahl-e-rasool mein jo Musallama ho gaye. 

Any wonder Rafi gave such heart-stopping articulation to Hum bekhudee mein? 

Ha, Mohammed Rafi! Did this stalwart performer deserve, finally, to be treated the way he was by Sachin Dev-Burman, even granting that Rafi's easing out from Dada's recording room came about following an Aradhana breakthrough by Kishore Kumar that sigalled the arrival of Rajesh Khanna as the superstar to upset all settled values in our films? 

Roop tera mastaana pyaar mera deewaana; Mere sapnon kee raanee kab aayegee too; even that Raag Pahadi duet of Kishore with Lata, Kora kaagaz thha yeh man meraa, weren't these tunes initially envisioned, by Dada Burman, to go in the voice of Mohammed Rafi on a still-to-arrive Rajesh Khanna? 

Since SD's tunes here were to be picturised on a hero (Rajesh Khanna) yet 'on the fringe', Dada Burman had, anticipating the demand of the razzledazzle film trade, logically chosen, as his main male singer for Aradhana, the then voice of every other leading man in films: Mohammed Rafi. 

Indeed, by getting the first two songs that were recorded for the film, Baaghon mein bahaar hai (with Lata Mangeshkar) and Gunguna rahe hain bhanwre (with Asha Bhosle), to be by Rafi, Dada Burman had already indicated his choice of voice for Aradhana. 

But this was the point at which S D Burman fell critically ill. 

And here is where we come to the gut point about certain readers holding me to my 1994 view that it was "R D Burman, and not S D Burman, who conceived and executed the music score of Aradhana." 

So it was -- but only after those two duets came to be "conceived and executed" (that is, recorded) by S D Burman in the voice of Rafi! 

That was the norm in our films then. That, first, two songs of a production had to be recorded -- as the launching-pad. Plus the news of such a recording had to appear as a published item in an industry-respected paper like the weekly Screen. 

Only after that would finance for a film flow. So it was as finance for Aradhana was set to flow that SD fell ill. 

So ill that R D Burman, behind the scenes, took over the remaining music of Aradhana for Kishore Kumar really to happen. Happen after that peerless singer had been, for a full 23 years, 'on the periphery' -- always a vibrant voice, but never quite there, in the topmost echelons of a field right then dominated by Mohammed Rafi, as a playback performer way ahead of the rest towards the end of the 1961-70 decade. 

redff.com[/quote]
Edited by Indradhanush - 13 years ago
I do agree with everyone here that there are a lot of articles, in reputed Newspapers/magazines, which have been righting contrary to what I have been writing so far. But do any of these writers have the proof that I am ready to present.

Give me your Email addresses, and I'll send you the voice recording and my photographs with Kersi Lord and Manohari Singh, that I am claiming to have interviewed.

Give me you postal addresses, and I will send you printed copies of the interviews, signed by the person interviewed by me.

If that doesn't satisfy you, I will take you to Kersi Lord, and you talk to him. I will take you to Manoharida's home who is unfortunately no more, but you can confirm his voice and signature from his family, and also confirm with them that I had interviewed him.

Shaktida is also no more, but I can send you that Email addresses of the two gentlemen who have talked to him. One is Poona, the other is in Bangladesh.

I have myself heard Shakti Samanta on Vividh Bharat and he did say that as Rafi went on world tour, hence SDB used Kishore at the suggestion of Shakti Samanta. I can't produce this proof, but if someone can get a recorded copy, I noted down the date and the time. I am also trying to get a copy of that recording.

So far I have interviewed:
Kersi Lord
Manohari Singh
Khagesh Dev Burman
(Biographer of SDB and RDB)
Ameen Sayani
Owners of Hotel Evergreen (where SDB stayed)
Employees of Hotel Sea Green
Anil Mohile (Telephonic Interview. With SDB for last 5-6 movies)
And others.

Regards.
And whom do we believe ..Amit Kumar, Asha Bhosle (who has told in one of the interviews in 2004 that it was Pancham who did most of the work in Aradhana) or Kersi Lord etc..? 

Aradhana would be remembered in the annals of history as SD B creation with RDB lurking all over.  Period.
These two were not present during that time.
Amit Kumar was a child.
Asha Bhonsle, was married to RDB, so her version is in not to be believed, against Manohari Singh, Kersi Lord and Shakti Samanta.
Do you want to believe those who were not present there?
Manohari Singh assisted RDB for all his movies, and you doubt him too.
Then, I have nothing more to add.
I am wasting my time.
Sorry

I fully agree with your observation about wasting time hence it will be my last response.

Not beleiving Amit Kumar, Asha , Times of India, Rediff, books on histoy of Indian music just to prove (some how) that R D Burman was no way involved in music of Aradhana is some thing no one with any insight in music will agree to. In fact to come out with a personal interview trying to discredit R D Burman is some thing which will turn people away from taking this discussion seriously.

So good bye, have a nice time and if you believe in your interview please do publish them in a paper of good repute.
Edited by Indradhanush - 13 years ago