•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 13 years ago
Hi all. 😊

I'm a new member, still catching up on the episodes of this show.

I have seen Law & Order and two French serials, Avocats et associs and P.J. which are in the same vein. Anyone having watching those before?

I wanted to point out that Adaalat doesn't reflect the way things go really in court - India has an adversarial system. One of the rules of that system is that - first, there is a pre-trial where all the evidence is deposited & no new evidence is admitted during the trial. If there is new evidence collected, the case starts again with the pre-trial. [That is why cases can drag on for a very long time and sometimes take forever in court.]

As a crime thriller, this show succeeds but the finer details... not really.[ Misrepresentation of the legal system of India.] Or maybe no one really cares about those details.

Anyways, in Law and Order & P.J., the person looking for clues and solving the crime is usually from the investigating team/police. And there's already a serial about that - CID? I haven't watched this one one, so you could tell me?

About the show, I'd like more interaction too within the constant characters of the show & more insight into their lives. If they could develop the character of KD further...

The background music of the opening credits of 'Avocats et associs'😛... You can listen to it at the start of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lczsKtYkpcQ Do you find a similarity with that of Adaalat?

Apologies if you lost while reading my post, I can be nuts sometimes 😆

Enjoy the show, I'm enjoying it too. 😉 :D
Edited by lynchee - 13 years ago
Originally posted by save-the-TIGER

Adaalat was supposed to be different from CID but it is not, & I would blame the creative team for this. K.D. Pathak should pursue the distinction between truth & falsehood from the different perspectives of a detective & a criminal defense lawyer & that's what would've differentiated Adaalat from CID. A good criminal lawyer would try to find loopholes or take advantage of technicalities to get around the laws. S/He would try to win a case on technicality as well,  but we don't see this happening at all in Adaalat.

my diagnostic impression of the character of KD is that he's just another detective in the garb of a lawyer (more like a Karamchand with Kitty). CID (of yesteryear's) had better role definition for its character than Adaalat (of today) has for KD. However if we consider the current episodes than Adaalat in comparison has managed to throw far superior story-lines than the current crop of writers working for fireworks. 

I saw this comment while going through another thread, just what I wanted to express
Hey there Lynchee! :D

Welcome to the Adaalat forum.. you can call me Sukhi :) 
Well the thing with Adaalat is that it's based on a character called Perry Mason who was both a lawyer and a detective - agreed that our indian judiciary works differently.. 

but Ronit and the makers have clarified that it's not an educated show on Indian law - this is total fiction :) :)
welcome to the forum lynchee
Originally posted by prettywomen22

welcome to the forum lynchee

Thank you :) Hope to see you around.

@tvdost: thank you for liking my post, see you too around :)

Originally posted by ronitfan

Hey there Lynchee! :D

Welcome to the Adaalat forum.. you can call me Sukhi :) 
Well the thing with Adaalat is that it's based on a character called Perry Mason who was both a lawyer and a detective - agreed that our indian judiciary works differently.. 

but Ronit and the makers have clarified that it's not an educated show on Indian law - this is total fiction :) :)

Thanks Sukhi :)

Okay, I read about Perry Mason now. A fictional character on which there was an American series too.

It's not only the Indian judiciary, all common law countries, including the United Sates, use the adversarial system (on which I elaborated above.)

Even in the American television series, the script writers have taken into consideration this issue.

From Wikipedia:
"In most episodes, the identity of the guilty party was discovered without an actual trial being held. Instead, this occurred at the preliminary hearing stage, wherein the district attorney was only required to produce enough evidence to convince the judge that the defendant should be bound over for trial..."

I would been more pleased if this was taken into consideration. [I felt quite disappointed, because I started watching this serial for legal points etc, the title of the show is rather misleading if the show is entirely fictional, if you ask me :/] But oh well, this one is quite okay too... Hope to have another Indian serial based on the legal profession (a more realistic one) in the future.

And also maybe Indian serials need that extra drama with the whole shebang [the court kacheri thing + audience in court] for more impact & better TRPs. Depends on the kind of audience they are targeting too.
Edited by lynchee - 13 years ago
@ Lynchee 

Have you watched Siddhant which used to air on Star One? That was the most realistic portrayal of a lawyer on Indian television and it was even 
nominated for an Emmy award!

:D

About Adaalat, 
it's target audience is kids and youngsters.. it's not really made for the niche audience like Siddhant was.. I was disappointed initially too because I expected a mature courtroom drama.. but once you accept it for it's whackiness, you enjoy it ;)
In Court, an investigation result from a private detective won't be legal to add in the case. How much that investigation is big enough, it will be illegal to put in court unless there any government official involved. That's why the investigation parts always goes to police or cid or cbi. A lawyer should only do his/her job and that is making innocents innocent and criminals behind the bar.
Hmmm.. 

This is just a twist to the usual :)