Geet - Hui Sabse Parayee

A Trip to the Movies - A Maaneet One Shot

Opti thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 13 years ago
Yesterday Dadi wanted Maan to take his wife to watch a movie but the guy decided to narrate to Geet the story of their own lives which was no less than a super hit as Geet certified at the end.  What if he had really taken her to a movie? Here is a scene I had written for one of my Michi Fics.  I've replicated it for Maaneet. The movie he is taking Geet to is an old English film "Romancing the Stone".  For the benefit of those who haven't seen the film, here is the summary of that film.

A brief summary of the movie "Romancing the Stone"

Joan Wilder (played by Kathleen Turner) is a passionate romance, novelist who receives a mysterious package in the mail from her recently murdered brother-in-law. This package turns out to be a treasure map which she finds out later. Meanwhile, her sister Elaine is kidnapped in Colombia by two criminals who demand that she travel to Colombia to exchange the map for her sister.

So Joan flies to South America to hand the map over and rescue her sister but she gets into the wrong bus and winds up hopelessly stranded in the jungle where she is waylaid by Zolo, a vicious and corrupt Colombian cop who will stop at nothing to obtain the map. She is almost killed by Zolo, but is saved by an opportunist Jack T. Colton (played by Michael Douglas) who looked like a man who could have stepped straight out of one of her novels.  

Though his good looks and intrepid moves dazzle her, Joan quickly sees Jack for the cheap opportunist that he is. But he's all she's got, so together they journey out of the jungle, battling mudslides, drug lords, crazed treasure-hunters--and each other. Along the way, Joan discovers she's tougher than she ever thought, tough enough to rescue her sister, and tough enough to fall in love with the troublesome Jack.

Maan came in early from work that day with two tickets for the English movie Romancing the Stone, an adventure film which was released in the early 1980s, starring Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner.

"Geet!" he called out to her as he entered in and she came running from her room.

"Get ready soon. We are going to watch a movie."

"Movie?" she asked excitedly. "What movie?"

"Romancing the Stone," he informed.

"An English movie?" she said in a subdued voice. 

"Why..don't you like English movies?" he asked sceptically, wondering whether he should have first asked her preference before buying the ticket. 

"It is not that, Maan. It's just that the dialogues are sometimes spoken so rapidly that I do not understand half of what they say."

"I'll explain to you, if you do not follow," he said smiling at her candidness.

Geet seemed satisfied. She hurriedly changed into a deep purple salwar kameez which enhanced her fairness.  Her hair was left lose and she wore no make-up, except for an eye-liner that highlighted the beauty of her doe eyes. 

"I am ready. Shall we go?" she asked and flashed him one of her most endearing smiles.

Seeing her, Maan suddenly felt his breath constrict in his chest. He silently nodded his head and looked away.

Once they reached the cinema hall, Maan parked his car and joined his wife at the entrance and together they went in. They were just in time for the movie because as soon as they took their seats, the lights were dimmed. Geet remained silent for the first few minutes of the film. When the hero of the film made a gallant entry, saving the heroine from a corrupt cop, she tugged at Maan's sleeve.

Geet (whispering): Is this the hero?

Maan: Yes, he is.

Geet: He is quite a handsome guy. What's his name?

Maan: Michael Douglas.

Geet: Is he famous?

Maan: Not before this film. This film is the one which made him famous. His father, Kirk Douglas is also a famous actor.  

People in front of them at the theatre turned back to look at them. Maan put his finger to his lips to indicate that they need to keep quiet. They turned their attention back to the movie.

Scene in the movie:  

Jack Colton (the hero): Who the hell are you?

Joan Wilder (the heroine): I'm a romance novelist.

Jack: You're what? What are you doing here?

Joan: I told you. My sister's life depends on me.

Jack: Don't give me that shit. I thought you were donating a kidney or something.

Geet looked sufficiently mortified. She hurriedly tugged at Maan's sleeve again.

Geet: Is she going to donate her kidney? I thought she was going to give a package to the kidnappers.

Maan (a little impatiently): She is not donating any organ. Now keep quiet and watch the film.

Scene in the movie:

Jack (to Joan): Lady, you are bad news. What did you do, wake up this morning and say, "Today, I'm going to ruin a man's life?"

Geet (laughing out loud): Maan, that's funny.

Several heads turned back and stared at them in annoyance.

Maan (whispering): Geet, keep it down.

Geet quietened down and turned her attention back to the movie.

Scene in the movie:

Jack:  Goddamn it, I knew I should've listened to my mother. I could've been a cosmetic surgeon, five hundred thousand a year, up to my neck in tits and ass.

Geet: What does that mean? How can a man have tits? And ass refer to the backside of a person, isn't it? How can his neck be in his ass?

Maan looked around, embarrassed to see several heads turned towards them again.

Maan: Geet, hush up. I'll clarify all your doubts when we reach home. Can we now watch the movie?

Scene from the movie:

Joan: Oh, marijuana.
Jack: Oh, you smoke it?
Joan [defensively] I went to college.  

Geet (drawing in her breath sharply): Babaji! (she looked heavenward) What sort of a woman is she? I too wanted to go to college but I would have never smoked. That's no excuse, lady! People go to college to study, not smoke. Smoking is a dirty habit.

She shook her head disapprovingly. Maan stared at her, wondering what to do with her.

Scene in the movie:

Joan (to Jack) : There you see, there you go, you have no finese, no style. A real man doesn't have to.. to.. draw attention to his actions, you're.. you're just...you're a mondo dismo.  

Geet (bending towards Maan and asking in a hushed voice): What is a mondo dismo?

Maan: Beats me. Must be some mindless gibberish. Let's hear what she has to say.

The scene continued

Jack:: I'm... what am I?

Joan: You're a man who takes money from stranded women!

Maan: There, you got your answer.

Geet was still not too satisfied. She kept muttering to herself, 'mondo dismo', 'mondo dismo'.

Maan (whispering back): Are you trying to add it to your mental dictionary? Don't bother. I don't think anybody will know what it means even if you try using it on them.  

Scene in the movie:

Jack:  Man, I tell ya... one hell of a morning has turned into a bitch of a day.

Geet went into a peel of laughter again.

Maan: Geet, please.

Geet: Please what?

Maan: Please control your giggling spree.

Geet: OK.

She kept her finger on her lip and sat tight in her seat. Maan shook his head in exasperation.

Scene in the movie:

Gloria (Joan's publisher):  Joanie, you are now a WORLD-CLASS hopeless romantic.
Joan: No, hopeful. Hopeful romantic.

Geet ( with a broad smile of her face): I like that. I am a hopeful romantic too.

Seeing the dreamy look on his wife's face, Maan smiled at her indulgently.

In the last scene of the movie, Jack shows off his new crocodile skin boots, made from the crocodile he had killed.

Scene in the movie:

Joan: I like the boots.

Jack: Yeah, that poor old yellow-tailed guy... developed a fatal case of indigestion. He died right in my arms.

Joan: I can't blame him. If I were to die, there's nowhere on earth I'd rather be.

As they got up to leave, Geet held on to Maan's arm.  

Geet (excitedly): Aaaww.... wasn't that romantic?

Maan (alarmed): You find a dying crocodile romantic?

Geet: No, you silly. Dying in the arms of the one you love, now THAT is sooooo romantic. I'd like to die that way, in your arms.

Maan (hastily shut her mouth): Don't talk about dying.

Geet: Well, all of us have to die one day, you know. Death is the only certainty in life.

Maan (angrily): Will you just shut up woman?

Geet looked sufficiently chastised and she meekly followed him to the parking lot and got into the car. The rest of the journey was spent in silence as Maan continued to sulk. He did not like Geet talking of her death.

After they reached home, they went up to their room to change. As Maan came out of the bathroom, Geet couldn't bear the silence any longer.

"Maan I am sorry for making you mad at me. Please don't stop talking to me," she pleaded, her voice cracking up.

Seeing her mournful look, Maan immediately relented and walked up to her. He pinched her lower lip and shaking it he said, "You need to learn to zip up these pretty lips of yours when you are in the theatre." He bent his head down and was tempted to capture her lips in his, but inches away from her lips, he pulled back with a jerk.

"Come on, change fast and come down for dinner. It's getting late," he said and turned towards the door, not noticing Geet's deep blush which spread across her face. 

Source for quotes: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088011/quotes 

Edited by Opti - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

serialwatcher16 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Opti, I love Romancing the stone and I love MaanGeet, so I lov...........ed your OS. QED.

thanks for the combination.
-Zahra15- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
amazing and fantastic......
...geet was so funny.......
..she really culdnt make sense abt lots of things.....
....n the parts abt marijuana n tits were so funny......
londongirl95 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 2
awesome update!!
loved the last maaneet scene!!
nice update!!
Opti thumbnail
Originally posted by: serialwatcher16

Opti, I love Romancing the stone and I love MaanGeet, so I lov...........ed your OS. QED.

thanks for the combination.

Thanks Usha. I liked the movie too. 

What is QED by the way?
Opti thumbnail
Originally posted by: zahra15

amazing and fantastic......

...geet was so funny.......
..she really culdnt make sense abt lots of things.....
....n the parts abt marijuana n tits were so funny......

Thnaks Zahra.  Yes, Geet can be quite dense at times. She did not understand mroe than half the film.
doosheeka thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
wonderful OS

loved it................
Opti thumbnail
Originally posted by: londongirl95

awesome update!!

loved the last maaneet scene!!
nice update!!