Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ADMJCXNK97fan thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
i was recently thinking of the vow Ram made in the luv kush part of the new ramayan (idk now if it was REAL...but who knows!) where he vows to kill the king of Kashi withink 3 days, with 3 arrows for the insult (and of course Narad has to come and mess up things even more) well, when vishwamitra forgives him and tells him to withdraw his arrow......so i was wondering if Guru is so great as to interfere with oaths and it will be ok........maybe someone could have released bhishma of his oath, if a raghuvansh could do so then why couldn't bhishma? anyway....:D
MagadhSundari thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Good point Aditi 👍🏼 I'm sure the story can be found somewhere or other, AS used a lot of Kamban Ramayan and Adbhut and other fringe versions I was previously unfamiliar with until people posted excerpts at RF... but anyways the point about   prioritizing between a Guru's words and an oath/promise is indeed interesting. Here we have this example, and Raja Bali's provides a contrast - in spite of Shukracharya's warning, he stuck to his pledge to grant Vaaman Bhagwan whatever he asked. Would love to hear you guys' theories on why this difference existed?
Rehanism thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Very Interesting topic. Each of these promises had huge impact on history and if we imagine the stories without these promises, perhaps the course of history would have changed.

The vows made by Lakshman (to kill Bharat), Bhim (to kill Kauravas brutally) and Arjun (to kill Jaydrath or immolate himself) were rash and misjudged. Such vows are mostly propelled by anger and hence are best if avoided.

The vow made by Devavrat was driven by love towards his father. But his love for father, for a moment, made him forget his love for motherland and he overlooked his responsibilities as crown prince of Hastinapur. True, the vow was self less, but a crown prince has no right to put the future of his kingdom at stake even for the pleasure of his father. This vow itself compelled him to support Adharma and Bhishma himself regretted this vow all his life. In his deathbed, he warned Yudhishtir against being overcome with love for near ones and making such vows.

The vow made by Ram to Dashrath was similar to the vows of Devavrath, however they were not merely out of love for father. Because in this case, Ram obeyed the word of the 'King' Dashrath to leave Ayodhya. That's why, unlike in Devavrath's case, we cannot blame Ram of ignoring the interest of the state for the sake of father's pleasure.

Of all these vows, I think the most interesting was Krishna's vow of not picking up weapon, as this was the only vow which was broken. When Krishna declared before the start of war that He shall not pick up weapons, Bhishma playfully said that he will certainly compel Krishna to pick up weapons. Krishna bowed and said "We shall see". Later, on the 9th day when Bhishma was repeatedly harassing Arjun with his deadly weapons and Arjun was unable to wound him mortally, Krishna got frustrated, jumped from the chariot, summoned the Sudarshan and paced towards Bhishma. Thus the Lord broke His own promise to keep His devotee's word. That's why, though this vow was deliberately broken, I find it much more beautiful than any other oath which was dutifully fulfilled.

PS : Some versions of the above story say that Krishna, instead of summoning the Sudarshan Chakra, picked up a chariot wheel and sped at Bhishma; thus He did not break His own vow after all.
ADMJCXNK97fan thumbnail
i saw the chraiot wheel version a lot........which a really like that version.......Krishna coming at you with a chariot wheel well, i just loved it! hahaha
ADMJCXNK97fan thumbnail
BTW lola i LOVE that last banner of yours, with the shakti ek-roop anek!!!!! beautiful!
esrujan thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
Reopening the Thread:

Shivang, I believe I have not answered some of your posts and I here restart some of the discussions we had in this very thread.

And my question to you and particularly to Srujan now (As his concern is Bhishma's duty to think about Hastinapur subjects as prince and therefore to keep powers with him). What is so much wrong for Hastinapur's good future governance with Bhishma deciding not to marry - Brahmacharya oath in strict sense of remaining unmarried only but still the prince and future king of Hastinapur? By Bhishma staying unmarried, what happened was that he had no direct heirs to become kings. Had he married, he would have had heirs and still they could have been as ambitious and jealous as Kauravas and on the path of adharma after Bhishma's retirement from the throne and fighting for the throne with their cousins (direct grandsons of Satyavati). So there was no guarantee of future good governance of Hastinapur by marrying or not marrying either way (successors may be good or may be bad and can be Bhishma's sons and can be Bhishma's nephews). So Bhishma's first oath was strongly based on Hastinapur's future protection (which could have been done as servant also) rather dhaarmik ruling (which should have been major issue of concern in case of 2nd oath). If any wrong happened with the first oath, that was not the oath of Bhishma not marrying and not having any heirs (because as I said - who knows his own heirs would have been dhaarmik or adhaarmik) but Bhishma himself stepping out of the position of contender of the throne (that was not good for the dhaarmik future ruling of Hastinapur for the potential duration of Bhishma's ruling only and no guarantee of future heirs). But here his own personal benefit was bundled with his duty of suggesting the right path to father as a result of that suggestion. How can he say that I myself will be better than anybody else in ruling Hastinapur in terms of shaastradharma as I am knower of dharma and am very conscious about it for public (despite exercising rationality for praja's sake in the issue.)? Now this point may be very good point of comparison with Yudhishthir gambling Indraprastha in dhyut. What Bhishma did was injustice to himself and lost his powers (which could have been better for Hastinapur subjects had he not lost them) in the form of pure sacrifice (keeping full commitment to stick to duties becoming servant to protect national borders and strictly isolating and letting go just his luxuries and rights). Would Ram have thought that "I know dharma better than Bharat and Bharat is still a child for this to handle and not confident enough to rule a nation. If I let go my right to become king and don't rebel then Ayodhya subjects will suffer and it's my duty as prince (and about to be king) to think about them who want me as their king."? I just therefore face problem in the HOW part (excitement and hurry) of this oath only rather than WHY part.

I believe you are clear about my stance on this. I was never against Bhishma deciding not to marry. That is his personal choice. What I feel is not "role modelish" is the act of sacrificing it for the sake of satisfying his father's lust. I am not saying he is wrong in doing that but just not the ideal action in the situation to sacrifice. I can still be lenient here and say whether the action is ideal is debatable.

Well. I think you better answer me here what Ram would have done in Bhishma's place by putting in words and actions exactly in the same situation rather than knowing about my answer which is not thought of over here (I am completely blank and thoughtless actually). Let's try to discover what your Ram (his image in your mind), my Ram and Ram in other members' mind would have done here (Keep in mind that father was also Shantanu not Dashrath in terms of hight of virtues and Dashrath's lust - words used in the text - for Keikei was mainly way back in the past when the boons were original given and also Shantanu had no bondage of promise.). Also tell me whether in your opinion, Ram was ultruist or utilitarianist. According to us Bhishma was in ultruism and Krishna was in utilitarianism. Tell me where does Ram's prudence along with sacrifice falls (Although you have already mentioned in the last para and hence I know the answer - still put in any one category specifically with reasons.). Even I wouldn't like to find Ram and Krishna in different categories but still the question is tricky one. Also Ram's sentence which I have highlighted in Vedo's post is very much in line with Bhishma's life long psychological justification.

You have quietly ducked away my question by asking me what will Rama do. Now, it is immaterial what anyone does here except that whether it is an ideal action. My answer is "No" for all the reasons that were described in my previous post (reference to Why one should not make sacrifices all the time).  Unlike the above part of my post, I may no way consider giving oneself "Bali" is ideal for the sake of satisfying one's father's lust.

Now about Yudhishthir, tell me what do you think he would have done with his power on Indraprastha had he known before war about Karna. Why Karna wanted him not to know? Why Krishna kept it secret from Pandavas? Only for keeping Arjun more motivated due to ignorance about relationship or also because of Yudhishthir? And regarding the premise that power is important to help 10 others, why Krishna never tried to be king in his lifetime despite having the informal authority always? He gave power to Ugrasen leaving the potential throne for him (not just he but also 3 others - Shursen, Vasudev and Balram). This self help example perfectly suits though in many of his war strategies.

So, you think yudhi should give the crown to Karna becoz he is an elder brother irrespective of anything else. Yudhi probably would have done it out of respect but again it is debatably role-modelish.

Lord Krishna had every reason to keep it secret from Pandavas(or Arjuna) for the reasons you mention and many more. Karna himself requested the same and there should be no reason for the lord to do something else.

Krisha although not on the throne was always a powerful person. He could convince a devil to listen to him as far as life in Dwarka is concerned. The best example is how brilliantly he convinces everyone  going to wage a war against Arjuna and makes them welcome him instead during Subhadra Haran. 

He gave power to Ugrasen very well knowing that he or the other people will definitely listen to him. There is no reason for Krishna to fear that someone else is not going to listen to him. Krishna had no reason to fear from his king. He can as well leave Dwarka and make his own kingdom too. If things go wrong in Dwarka he can start a civil war too. Not only he is powerful but he can also use the strength of his sons and so on for getting anything done. Moreover, Balram however non supporting Krishna in some issues will always support him if needed.

Bhishma as we already discussed eventually ended up being only a puppet although he has endured the test of Dharma in all situations in life by following it Verbatim. As mother Ganges says to him once, "You are here to enhance Dharma in this world"

Finally, I have an interesting case of sacrifice making.  Let us say Shakuni tells to Duri to go to Yudhi(during Udhyoga Parva) and say "Brata, Forgive me for my bad behaviour. I have lust for your kingdom. Even if you think you have completed your Agyatvaas successfully, please sacrifice your kingdom to satisfy my lust." Say Duri does that by falling at the feat of Yudhi (just for the sake of it like he did to Bhishma requesting him to be CIC).

Should Yudhi accept that offer? If not, why not. Why do you think he should not sacrifice his things for the sake of satisfying someone else's lust. How is this very different from Bhishma sacrifying his right of Yuvraj and right to marry for the sake of satisfying his father's lust.

I know you tried to answer the above questions partially in a post explaining Bhishma's stance of satisfying Dhrit's lust. But again if you agreed there, you should not have problem in saying that Yudhi should not sacrifice here.

And let us say that Yudhi says to protect Dharma I will not do it. Who is he to decide for himself that he is more Dharmic than Duri and hence he will not make a sacrifice to not give his kingdom.

I am just trying to re-empahsize my point of the limits one has to set in making sacrifices along with the process (how) and to whom and finally for achieving what purpose(s).

Edited by esrujan - 12 years ago
ShivangBuch thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Happy Gurupurnima to all members.

@Srujan

It's fine Srujan. I had even not opened this thread's 7th page because when people had responded with their posts, I was very busy. I can understand what you want to say. What you are talking about is prudence and rationality keeping in view benefit of the mass. What I say is about selfless sacrifice which can only lift you up spiritually. I would again say that only 'how' part (excitement) is troubling me not the 'why' part.

Regarding your imagining about what Ram would have done, I haven't avoided my reply actually but it is exactly in that empathy or roleplay of yours, my answer to you was hidden. It was very very crucial whether in your perception, whether Ram would have done it or not because if 'yes' then either the action automatically becomes 'role modelish' and you should immediately convince yourself or else you can say that "It is not necessary for you that whatever Ram does, that can always be role modelish". And I think that is what you have said so the debate ends here. Rehan has very well compared in his post Ram's stance & Bhishma's stance but interesting was what would you have imagined if Ram was Shantanu's son. Here I post the link of ValmikiRamayan to be relevant to our discussion. Verses 57-60. Both the opposite philosophies of ours lie in between the words of these verses and it is very very critical to interpret those in various circumstances.

Ram to Kaushalya & Lakshman: "Only such an action, which is righteous (alone) is to be undertaken, abstaining that in which wealth, desire and righteousness do not find scope together. One who is interested in wealth alone becomes indeed fit to be hated in the world. So also the one whose very essence is desire, cannot indeed be considered as good. When father, who is venerable, a king and an old-aged, commands an action either by anger or by extreme joy or by even desire, which right person will not perform it? Only a person who chooses to be cruel will not do it. I cannot avoid fulfilling the father's command completely. For both of us, he is an important person indeed to command us. To mother Kausalya also, he is the husband, the resource person and the personified law. While the righteous king Dasaratha is alive and especially when he is following his own righteous path, how the mother Kausalya can go out with me from here leaving the city like any other widowed woman? Oh, mother the queen! Permit me to go to forest". 

Now regarding Yudhishthir, I would definitely say that he could have refused Duryodhan. He might have chosen otherwise but that would have been his choice out of love & trust (depending upon how genuine Duryodhan is in terms of his realization of his previous unpunished guilts) or goodness or to avoid mass destruction for peace (Duryodhan aaye, pranaam kare aur kahe ki bhrata mujhe Indraprasth de dijiye; to KADACHIT mai use Indraprasth bhi de dun). Two cases are comparable but not completely or directly comparable. Duri had established that he was never going to go on the right path and follow dharma. Yudhi had already established his image that he was having the attitude to follow dharma as king. So he could in fact believe and act that he was better king than Duri. And he was elder. Bhishma was son. He was young. And he had not yet established his glory to be the better king than Shantanu. And Shantanu was not a bad king or wasn't like Duri that he never wanted to fulfill his duties towards praja. Lust for woman, after being fulfilled wouldn't have harmed praja in any manner and he would have been back to normal routine. Duri's normal lack of concern about dharma (which was evident) is no way match for Shantanu/Dashrath's weaknesses.

Now we can parallel switch over to Lakshman's mrityudand (with or without concluding this topic as you wish but now I have forgotten my own posts some months back which I can't dare to read once again for answering you or understanding your references.😆) scene as Semanti & other members have wished because now I feel there is enough of Bhishma. Lakshman would be more devotional & blissful character to discuss with that touchy & emotional event than Bhishma who is relatively less colourful character & more attached with the values lower than just & only just Ram/Krishna all the time.

And now please do post your replies to Aishi's questions in Introduction of members thread.

@Semanti

You post your feelings about that scene Sema without waiting for any other members. Others will respond to your feelings. I and Vedo have already posted our feelings and the article's relevant parts (You didn't need to ask anyone for posting it).

@Rehan

Excellent excellent post buddy. I liked almost everything about your post particularly your paragraph of Krishna's vow. However, I am still not clear whether we can take it as Vow actually broken (lifting weapon or using it) or almost about to be broken but not broken. But even if actually broken, broken deliberately for the sake of a devotee is nevertheless blissful interpretation as I must have mentioned when I posted that incident from the original text on some page earlier.
Edited by ShivangBuch - 12 years ago
arun-deeps thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Hi di..m here!
Oaths have been an imp part in our mythos. If one has taken oath then it has to be fulfilled, but the question is that is do you rank your oath above the Dharma

I'll like to give an eg.
 Bhishma promised to remain celibate, not become king, and protect the throne of Hastinapur and whoever occupied it as long as he lived
Bhishma is such a great character that one can imagine. But the thing is were the oaths taken by him were correct? If you see as a ideal son its correct, but one should first think about his nation, his motherland, the future of his citizens before taking any kind of oath. If Bhishma hasnt taken any such oath then we can imagine that Hastinapur would have got a right king. Dhritrashtra or Shakuni would not have made Duryodhan so abitious and greedy that he breaks all morals just for a throne.  
So oaths are something to be taken with utmost care and of thinking the future. If you dont care for your future atleast you are no1 to ruin your motherland's future?
The oath of Bhishma was a result of his pitru-prem.  But, as a responsible citizen and more than that when you belong to a powerful state, you ought not do so!
I agree, Bhishma was unknown of the circumstances which will arise in future, but then too @ this postion just for father's happiness one cannot gamble countries fortune..right?😲
Like ShriRam loved Sitaji more than any husband can love his wife, but then too he sacriced the happiness of wife, sons and all..Why? Just bcoz it was Lok mat, and a king could not just rest and sit on his throne when his subjects are in unrest situation, so I'll say loving ur relatives is surely Dharm, but keeping yours and your relastives pleasures aside and  respecting and protecting your country and subjects' interest is Paramdharm. Which no1 can ignore, its intensity becomes much more when u're a son of some Rajkul.
I know many would rais a question that Ram was a king and Bhishma want so his pratigya for father's love and pleasure was correct. But no frnds, here question is that a country needs a Sanyasi, for whom the only relation is with his country and countrymen! Also its not only the duty of a king, to maintain RAM RAJYA in his state, but also the duty of his whole family who enjoy the luxury of being a king's son, wife, daughter and so and so! So alongwith king, his family should also  first care for the future n happiness of their nation and then themselves.  
As far as the protecting of Hastinapur throne is considered, it seems to be initially correct, but not fully. If its evident that the king is not performing his duties well, and in his rule a woman's respect is brutally murdered, then one should not be quiet, just for keeping ur words! Bcoz any words or oath is not bigger than the Dharma! Thats why Krishna's breaking of Oath (At the time of MB Yuddha) is just and fully correct. Bcoz if u know that if I didnt speak now, then its not Dharma to keep ur words, it becomes Adharma. No doubt, Duryodhan and team committed the biggest sin, but no1 @ Hastinapur court can justify their act of being quiet just for their patriotism. Patriotism is not protecting ur own king or worshipping ur ruler, Patriotism is actually worshipping ur motherland. And its a fact that all of them who sat and veiwed Draupadi's vastraharan were culprits to Hastinapur. coz they were not following their Rajdharm, they were fulfilling their 'RAJAA'(king) Dharma.
   Another eg. Chanakya, like he explains Kelestheneese, that his devotion for Sikandar or the Greek rule is not true patriotism, if he even slaves Sikandar, it would be treated as Patriotism.  Because, the Greek men were away frm their families, motherland just for Sikandar's own pleasure and ambition of becoming Vishwa Vijeta which was not correct...
Coming to the topic again, if breaking your oath can  save dharma, then I feel, not 1 not 2, bt 100000s of oaths can be broken for the sake of Dharma!
Hope u liked my views...thanx!😳

Edited by arun-deeps - 12 years ago
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: Darklord_Rehan

Of all these vows, I think the most interesting was Krishna's vow of not picking up weapon, as this was the only vow which was broken. When Krishna declared before the start of war that He shall not pick up weapons, Bhishma playfully said that he will certainly compel Krishna to pick up weapons. Krishna bowed and said "We shall see". Later, on the 9th day when Bhishma was repeatedly harassing Arjun with his deadly weapons and Arjun was unable to wound him mortally, Krishna got frustrated, jumped from the chariot, summoned the Sudarshan and paced towards Bhishma. Thus the Lord broke His own promise to keep His devotee's word. That's why, though this vow was deliberately broken, I find it much more beautiful than any other oath which was dutifully fulfilled.

PS : Some versions of the above story say that Krishna, instead of summoning the Sudarshan Chakra, picked up a chariot wheel and sped at Bhishma; thus He did not break His own vow after all.

Actually, reading the Mahabharata, Krishna never actually vowed not to fight: unlike, say, Bhima's vow on Dushashan, Krishna didn't vow not to fight.  So had he, @ any point during the war, decided to become a combatant, it would have been his decision.  Some of the things he did, like taking Bhagadatta's Vaishnavastra on himself, would have violated his oath not to fight, had it actually been taken.  Here is what Krishna actually told Arjun & Duryodhan:

'That you have come first, O king, I do not in the least doubt. But, O king, the son of Kunti, Dhananjaya, has been first beheld by me. On account of your first arrival, and on account of my having beheld Arjuna first, I shall, no doubt, lend my assistance, O Suyodhana, to both. But it is said that those who are junior in years should have the first choice. Therefore, Dhananjaya, the son of Kunti, is entitled to first choice. There is a large body of cowherds numbering ten crores, rivalling me in strength and known as the Narayanas, all of whom are able to fight in the thick of battle. These soldiers, irresistible in battle, shall be sent to one of you and I alone, resolved not to fight on the field, and laying down my arms, will go to the other. You may, O son of Kunti, first select whichever of these two commends itself to you. For, according to law, you have the right to the first choice.'

Edited by _Vrish_ - 12 years ago