- Mahima Shani Dev Ki Discussion Lounge - - Page 7

Posted: 12 years ago
I found the above episode somewhat unsatisfactory.  At the end of it, Godavari wasn't allowed to cremate herself, but she became a river - nobody apologized to her in her human form, in which she was wronged.  Also, while Surya deva was the prime culprit and duly punished, others, like her husband and that Brahman committee, were also guilty of not giving her a proper hearing, and they didn't show them at all.  Essentially, that community went scott free, and worse, probably got a good supply of clean water for all their sins ๐Ÿ˜ก

One thing though - this story did illustrate something Vik said a while back - that Shani doesn't hesitate to go after his elders ๐Ÿ˜†  Wonder whether he went after Indra for violating Ahalya.  Incidentally, I had never heard of Surya ever doing such an act: Indra, yes, but Surya, never.

Thanks a lot for the update! I missed the epi, must have been fun to watch Shani punish his father though ๐Ÿ˜ˆ Anyway I agree here, it would have been good if the people who considered her impure would actually apologize to her rather than only having Suryadev apologizing to her 

I guess Indra has been punished several times๐Ÿ˜‰ I wonder is Lord Vishnu the only one who never was a victim (as I've never heard of anything like that๐Ÿ˜• however Garuda was punished) coz even Shiva was a victim of Shani's punishment once๐Ÿ˜ฒ I wish I had not missed that episode of Shiva receiving some doze from Shani๐Ÿ˜†

Originally posted by _Vrish_

I found the above episode somewhat unsatisfactory.  At the end of it, Godavari wasn't allowed to cremate herself, but she became a river - nobody apologized to her in her human form, in which she was wronged.  Also, while Surya deva was the prime culprit and duly punished, others, like her husband and that Brahman committee, were also guilty of not giving her a proper hearing, and they didn't show them at all.  Essentially, that community went scott free, and worse, probably got a good supply of clean water for all their sins ๐Ÿ˜ก

One thing though - this story did illustrate something Vik said a while back - that Shani doesn't hesitate to go after his elders ๐Ÿ˜†  Wonder whether he went after Indra for violating Ahalya.  Incidentally, I had never heard of Surya ever doing such an act: Indra, yes, but Surya, never.

Some stories in our scriptures are unsatisfactory

Is this story really exist somewhere?
Originally posted by vik rocks

Thanks a lot for the update! I missed the epi, must have been fun to watch Shani punish his father though ๐Ÿ˜ˆ Anyway I agree here, it would have been good if the people who considered her impure would actually apologize to her rather than only having Suryadev apologizing to her 

I guess Indra has been punished several times๐Ÿ˜‰ I wonder is Lord Vishnu the only one who never was a victim (as I've never heard of anything like that๐Ÿ˜• however Garuda was punished) coz even Shiva was a victim of Shani's punishment once๐Ÿ˜ฒ I wish I had not missed that episode of Shiva receiving some doze from Shani๐Ÿ˜†

Vik

To answer your question, only time I can think of Vishnu being defeated for being on the side of wrong was Sati & Shiva.  He was amongst Daksha's guests, and so when Virbhadra & Mahakali, on instructions of Shiva, attacked the yagna, Vishnu was the last line of defense for Daksha, but was trounced by Virbhadra.  Following that, Virbhadra had no problems capturing & beheading Daksha.

Other than that, there were just the curses Vishnu took from rishis Narada & Bhrigu.

Originally posted by NandiniPS

Some stories in our scriptures are unsatisfactory

Is this story really exist somewhere?

Nandini

I think most of these Shani stories are created by the Sagars - a whole bunch of them involved completely fictitious characters.  In some, like the story of Raja Ambrisha being cursed by Durvasa, they inserted Sagars in the story.

I don't think anyone doubts that they are largely fiction, since Shani was uninvolved in most of the events in the scriptures.

Vik

To answer your question, only time I can think of Vishnu being defeated for being on the side of wrong was Sati & Shiva.  He was amongst Daksha's guests, and so when Virbhadra & Mahakali, on instructions of Shiva, attacked the yagna, Vishnu was the last line of defense for Daksha, but was trounced by Virbhadra.  Following that, Virbhadra had no problems capturing & beheading Daksha.

Other than that, there were just the curses Vishnu took from rishis Narada & Bhrigu.

Nandini

I think most of these Shani stories are created by the Sagars - a whole bunch of them involved completely fictitious characters.  In some, like the story of Raja Ambrisha being cursed by Durvasa, they inserted Sagars in the story.

I don't think anyone doubts that they are largely fiction, since Shani was uninvolved in most of the events in the scriptures.

I think the story of Sandhya and chaya was right to some extent

but by the accounts of Godawari's story written on the last page , I feel a bit dissatisfied.

Sun God is not a demon to leave a woman unconscious, thats a harsh portrayal

River Godawari is considered a very pious river in Maharashtra. It is considered as sacred as Ganga

It is called Ganga also in the local language
Godavari runs through AP - I'm not sure that any part of it runs through Maharashtra.  I can check, though.

Tapti runs through Maharashtra and ends up in Gujarat.  Maybe future Shani episodes will be about Tapti, Penner and Kaveri.  I doubt they'll do any Shani w/ Krishna, though ๐Ÿ˜†

Godavari runs through AP - I'm not sure that any part of it runs through Maharashtra.  I can check, though.

Tapti runs through Maharashtra and ends up in Gujarat.  Maybe future Shani episodes will be about Tapti, Penner and Kaveri.  I doubt they'll do any Shani w/ Krishna, though ๐Ÿ˜†

No sorry sorry Narmada runs through Nasik

I got my geography wrong๐Ÿ˜†

No they wont do a Shani Vs Krishna

They showed Shani amd Lord Vishnu in harmony in Ambreesh story
I'm thinking the River Krishna must have been named after a female Krishna, not our usual Dwarkadheesh. ๐Ÿ˜†

I'm thinking the River Krishna must have been named after a female Krishna, not our usual Dwarkadheesh. ๐Ÿ˜†

Krishna called Draupadi as Krishnaa
Yeah, but was the river in AP by that name named after her?