Bhakti Lessons from MaharishiGarg (RS ShriKrishna)

Posted: 13 years ago
Hi guys!!! Was trying to think of a character from Ramanand Sagar's Shri Krishna who we haven't discussed much in the past, but from whom we have a lot to learn by discussing now. And... I came up with Maharishi Garg (for those who don't know/forgot - he's Shri Krishna's family's guru and a renowned astrologer and plays a special part in getting various characters attuned to their role in the divine plan)! Granted we would barely know anything about him without the show, and the information it gives on him is mostly from Garg Samhita (the narrative version, not the astrology handbook) which according to historians isn't a very traceable source when compared to the other Puranic literature that was used. But still, his characterization as per the show is both intriguing and extremely educational; his monologues on various topics related to devotion are among my favorite scenes of the show. So, one by one, I'd love for us to post/describe/analyze these scenes so that with each other's help, we can squeeze as much knowledge out of them as possible.

Here goes his first scene, a minute into this clip... (in it, Lomharshan - the Bhojvansh's family priest (that's the subsect of Yaadavs that Ugrasen, Kans, Devak, and Devaki belong to) expresses concern about performing Kans's marriage ceremony with the demonic Jarasandh's daughters, since he has a feeling it will have bad consequences)... Through his dialogues, Garg conveys important truths about putting duty above emotion and always keeping the greater good/ the bright side of things in sight. In the next continuation scene it he further emphasizes to Lomharshan what it means to be a true Karm-yogi and to what extent we should go before leaving things to fate. So... your thoughts please!!

First one starts about a minute into this:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF1l-aAAvUg[/YOUTUBE]

Continues about 2 and a half minutes into this:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itmQr6HacYw[/YOUTUBE]
Excellent thread!!! And my most liked character too. And all the scenes in which Gargaachaarya appears are my favourite scenes. Akrur-Surdas scene in particular. I also love his powerful dialogs with Kans when he was called for to confirm whether he named Nand's child.

Regarding the scene posted, I also agree with Lola. "Tum kuchh karne ya na karnewale hote kaun ho?" Only follow your duty and leave the result on almighty. Like Krishna tells Arjun - Mayaivaite nihataa poorvam ev, nimitta maatram bhav Savyasaachin.

Yogah karmasu kaushalam.
 Do your work with excellence & perfection. Your job is to perform weddings of your host's family. Who is the bride & who is the groom is none of your business to reflect upon. I think this is what Garg wants to convey.

But let's analyze this incident by extending our thoughts a bit further in terms of Lomharshan's merit or sin. Whatever he did was instructed by Garg to be done with balanced state - yogi's state - sthitpragnya's state without thinking or worrying about its righteousness because sarvaarambhaa hi Kauntey, dhoomenaagninivaavrutaahaa. All works have some defects or the other. So he just had to overlook the defect in the work to achieve for himself ALIPTA outcome - detached from sin - Padmapatramivaambhasaa.

Then noticeable or questionable point is why he had to face then the negative consequences? If what Lomharshan did was not sin or he did it without attachment, ego or desire; then why was he punished by destiny with imprisonment by Kans (One might say that he must not have suffered much pain from that imprisonment because place of living hardly makes any difference for saints.)? Was it just his destiny due to some previous birth deed or did it have anything to do with the job he performed precisely for which he was hesitent or he couldn't perform with exact egoless state of mind the way Garg instructed him (after all nature can't change overnight).

Also one more point of teaching from that scene is the definition of 'welfare'. Kans's marriage actually proved to be good and auspicious for the world that now we know and can say about and Garg was knowing about it then only. But that forthcoming wedding had no positive signs of welfare for then living society's immediate generation. Present people can't bear the consolation that 'Paap ka ghada bharna zaroori hai, taaranhaar ke aane ke liye', because they have to suffer after all. Sona aag me galaya jata hai tabhi uska zevar banta hai. But when to become a purified gold, when people have actually to go through that fire test in the immediate future because of that Kans's marriage and people are not ready for that austerity or sacrifice, then people with limited knowledge or even normal purohits even can't consider that marriage to be good for mankind.

For the welfare of the future generations, present generation has to undergo sacrifice. That is my understanding over here (One simple example is that people have to conserve the energy & trees by curtailing their own comfort for future generations - one might still be ready to do it for immediate children or grandchildren but noble character is required to do it for far generations or strangers. Rare personality can be found such out of the mass and Vasudevji's family was one such family).

What was auspicious or beneficial for the world from Garg's point of view, was horrible for the world (immediate generation) from Lomharshan's point of view. That is also one beauty of the scene. Different levels of knowledge of the people talking plays a big part in the scene.
Edited by ShivangBuch - 13 years ago
Thanks for joining me bhaiya πŸ˜ƒ I must agree, Gargacharya's one of my fav characters too. He's got such confidence and style in his expressions and dialogues, he actually makes rishi munis look cool! That's why I wanted to start the topic!! My personal fav scene of his is the revelation of Krishna's birth to Vasudev, so can't wait until we get there... but every scene of his is great and entertaining and full of meaning... including this first one.

We've heard countless lectures about renouncing ego and ditching the "main shabd ka ahankaar", but rarely have they packed as much punch as they did in this scene... when he says "Tum kuch karne wale kaun hote ho!", you can't help but listen!  So, that message was really well delivered, as was the Karm-yog friendly optimism he offers by reminding Lomharshan that it's all part of a grander plan - "vinaashkaari bhi hai, aur mangalkaari bhi". Couldn't have said it better than Shivang bhaiya, the scene beautifully conveys that welfare means different thing for different people and for the wise ones, it lies in the will of God.

In fact, as mentioned in the Dashrath-Kaikeyi thread we've got running concurrently (oh wowww what a coincidence πŸ˜‰), our mythos contain so many examples of events/actions that are vinaashkaari at the surface, but lead to mangalkaari results somewhere down the road. Kans vivaah, Ram vanvaas, Sita Maa "getting attracted" to the golden deer, Narad Muni's hastening of Keertiman vadh... all these and more show that all that happens by the will of God is good and mangalkaari in the long run. But then, to see that, one needs to adopt the detached Drashta Bhaav or witness point-of-view that Maharishi Garg demonstrates. Later in SK we see Vasudevji also show this quality when explaining to Devaki that they're going to have to bear a lot of sorrows but ultimately it is necessary and for the good of all "main jaanta hoon, magar yeh theek bhi hai" after Akrurji has sent a friend with a possible escape plan.

Might be valuable though, to discuss that after subscribing to that Drashta Bhaav, how does one continue to participate in the events of daily life and particularly, how does one stand up against injustice if he doesn't perceive it as injustice? Brahmarishi Vashisht, for example, shows Drashta Bhaav in explaining to a bedridden Dashrath that you should be proud of your son instead of feeling bad for him because in the long run this sacrifice is going to be a highpoint in history, not a low one... but then later on, what inspires him to become responsive to the present again and admonish Kaikeyi for handing Sita the muni vastra (3 minutes or so into this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPX1QzoOCNw)? And with Garg, he shows this drashta bhaav so perfectly in this first scene - then what inspires him to be responsive to the present when he has that clever and energetic exchange with Kans later on when being pressurized about the naamkaran? Basically, how can one be detached and compassionate all at once πŸ˜‰

On a somewhat unrelated note, how can we fit into this drashta bhaav, the statement he makes about keeping the facts about Kans's true lineage a secret to protect Ugrasen's glory? Does it fall under the same category as what he tells Vasuji later - that first I told you keep baby Balram a secret because I was worried for their safety, but now, having seen the Supreme Lord himself in your son that egotistical protectiveness of the Protector has totally vanished? Is this something that he said out of the uncertainty that existed before seeing Shri Krishna, but if asked later about Kans's lineage he wouldn't say it again? Or is this concern he expresses for Ugrasen and Bhoj vansh's honor somewhat different, and somehow fits into drashta bhaav either way?

As far as Lomharshan's upcoming suffering, it may have been pichhle karmon ka chakkar but I prefer to think of it as another sacred soul like VasuDevaki who was used as a lesson for the rest of us - there's no better way to convey the message about bearing temporary vinaashkaari consequences for the sake of eternally mangalkaari ones than taking on some suffering himself. This interpretation is bolstered by his imprisonment scene itself; how calmly he accepts it tells us that he was a cut above ordinary too.

Lol I think I've said enough for one sitting - any thoughts?
Edited by lola610 - 13 years ago
^^ post edited... whoever responds may tell me when we're ready to move on to the next scene 😳
Originally posted by lola610

In fact, as mentioned in the Dashrath-Kaikeyi thread we've got running concurrently (oh wowww what a coincidence πŸ˜‰), our mythos contain so many examples of events/actions that are vinaashkaari at the surface, but lead to mangalkaari results somewhere down the road. 

Yes Lola. It is really a great coincidence that we have naturally found the harmony between the two parallel topics going on in the forum. That's just wonderful.

Might be valuable though, to discuss that after subscribing to that Drashta Bhaav, how does one continue to participate in the events of daily life and particularly, how does one stand up against injustice if he doesn't perceive it as injustice?Basically, how can one be detached and compassionate all at once?
 πŸ˜‰

Great question Lola. Brilliant!!!πŸ‘ What I think is that one can still play part as an active instrument in that destiny without ego knowing one's role fully well why he is born (Like Valmiki) and so far as daily routine reactions against injustice are concerned, I would say that one can still follow drashta bhaav and also can exercise that worldly action with compassion. If you look at Vashisth or Garg talking to Keikei or Kans, former has opposed the latter when the latter is acting ignorantly. Despite knowing that the person himself/herself is not doing that but the destiny is getting the work from their nature (like Keikei had the nature of material greed potentially in her from young age but very dormant), the wise & knowledgeable can still trigger or alarm then not to play under destiny's hands. He (Vashisth) acts compassionately in a sense here for Keikei's soul to make her realize what she was doing then rather than she realizing it after doing. Here Vashisth knows the importance of Ram's exile for the mankind. He also knows that Keikei is not going to listen to him at that time. But his active role and statement uttered has to have definitely some role to play in Keikei's memory to make her realize her guilt later along with so many harsh statements of Bharat. And that way, if at all it can't save Keikei from falling then, it can have positive role to uplift her in future still. The sage here is acting compassionately or with pity for her spiritual downfall - if at all somebody has to be the instrument for God's plans through a negative role, why are you doing it and not anybody else? Why have you got such rajas nature as your pet which allows Saraswati Ma to find you only as the right tool to fulfill those plans and to make you suffer due to your nature easy victim of the plan to suffer later? Why haven't you developed your nature such that you are chosen positively as a part of plan of destiny rather than negatively? Keikei! You are doing this but this is not going to give you the pain. So stop here. And whenever Vashisth interfered actively in worldly happenings, either to talk to Keikei or to Dashrath, the destiny's plans were not going to be affected. Ravan's death wouldn't have changed had Sita been wearing royal dress or simple dress. Ram had already left when he tried to console Dashrath and advised him to react patiently. And in both cases he knew about the future failure of his effort looking from outside (rather than impact on Keikei's or Dashrath's mind deep inside for their future not visible to us). Very much like Shri Krishna going for peace visit to Hastinapur, knowing about the sure failure but had the impact of showing to the world that Pandavas were willing for the peace and the war should only be the last option. While scolding Kans about the manners, Gargaachaarya is active to teach him such lesson where the destiny's plan wouldn't have been affected even if Kans had learnt those formal manners. Just tried to give possible explanation but can't be sure obviously because the question is such. I hope I haven't complicated.

On a somewhat unrelated note, how can we fit into this drashta bhaav, the statement he makes about keeping the facts about Kans's true lineage a secret to protect Ugrasen's glory? Does it fall under the same category as what he tells Vasuji later - that first I told you keep baby Balram a secret because I was worried for their safety, but now, having seen the Supreme Lord himself in your son that egotistical protectiveness of the Protector has totally vanished? Is this something that he said out of the uncertainty that existed before seeing Shri Krishna, but if asked later about Kans's lineage he wouldn't say it again? Or is this concern he expresses for Ugrasen and Bhoj vansh's honor somewhat different, and somehow fits into drashta bhaav either way?

Very very tough to judge really just like the previous paragraph. But I think you also have answered alternatively the previous paragraph through this paragraph. It could possibly be the case where due to human nature (or to rightly play with or enjoy human body), these sages used to come back to the worldly level of actions in the forced cases of reacting somewhat to the situations. They had the drashtabhaav in their stable knowledge of their intellect and conscience behind but they acted like humans while acting still because of the nature of reacting. [Has it ever happened with you watching a movie which you have already watched to momentarily expect the change in the climax when you are involved in it? We would pray & say to Pooja (Renuka Shahane) inside the television "Hey! Watch out for the next step dear bhabhi. Don't make any hurry to pick up the phone". "Tuffy! Don't go towards Prem with that necklace; Rajesh is over there".] And yet, through conscious serious exercise and expertise of yoga, they could concentrate on the situation with drashtabhav also. Like immediately after saying Keikei or Dashrath; Vashisth would know that what he did was not going to be fruitful immediately & Sitaji was not going to like to dress royal anyhow and what Keikei was doing was not actually her fault because her then sparked active nature was forcing her to do that. Frequent switching over from spiritual state to worldly level of consciousness and vice versa. Those sages must have such abilities. Even I am forced to interpret it that way for Ramji when he cries and shows ignorance about the future happenings or lack of advance awareness about events occurred. Having a drashtabhav I think possibly would mean that you should have that just after acting rather than exactly while acting or it possibly would mean to be a targeted exercise for achieving that state of mind gradually more & more consistently every moment so as to reduce your purposeful actions gradually to achieve samaadhi state of purnakaam yogi rather than having that state of mind all the time (which could possibly the state only when one attains moksha). Again this is very debatable but highly deep spiritually to enjoy.

As far as Lomharshan's upcoming suffering, it may have been pichhle karmon ka chakkar but I prefer to think of it as another sacred soul like VasuDevaki who was used as a lesson for the rest of us - there's no better way to convey the message about bearing temporary vinaashkaari consequences for the sake of eternally mangalkaari ones than taking on some suffering himself. This interpretation is bolstered by his imprisonment scene itself; how calmly he accepts it tells us that he was a cut above ordinary too. 

Very nice value addition by you Lola regarding the justification of Lomharshan's sufferings by relating his soul with VasuDevaki's soul. Yes. The wish of almighty is always for the welfare of everyone. Whatever happens happens for good and God's justice is always correct. But people interpret welfare with reference to material welfare - Bhautik kalyan - well being on Prithvilok with the present body. But the actual welfare is the spiritual welfare - well being of soul - which demands purification of body, mind & intellect through austerities or penances or sacrifices. And if that doesn't come voluntarily, the devotee has to undergo it compulsorily to pass the test for purification. And that is the time to demonstrate faith & patience.
Maharishi Gargya is one of my favourite characters of Shri Krishna! ⭐️ All his scenes in the serial reflect the Wisdom of the ancient world. Thanks a lot Dear Sister for starting this thread β­οΈ.

Now, coming to the particular scene, when Lomharshan asks how the coming together of 'demonic forces' can be considered as Auspicious, the explanation given by Gargya is such a wise one… 'The Savior will appear only when the sinners will transgress all the limits. Until then, common people will have to suffer great hardships'. Knowing this fact will definitely help common people to understand the situation better and above all NOT TO LOSE HOPE in adverse situations. 

Answering Lomharshan's next question about being a Silent Spectator of all sufferings, Gargya answers that the LORD's Divine Play causes many things to happen, Wise persons do not interfere it. One should stick to the particular role the Lord has given him to perform.

Yes, this discussion continues in a scene which comes after 10 minutes or so. In that particular scene, Gargya explains that it is not a time for emotions but a time for Duty for Lomharshan.

After that, Lomharshan asks a difficult question which sometimes come to our mind also- how can one carry on a task with the full knowledge of the wrong results it can bring with it. Here Gargya points out the element of EGO and instructs him to make himself free from Egoism. Only then one can perform his duty without any hesitaion. The powerful dialogue- "Yeh jo 'Mai' shabd ka tum prayog kar rahe ho, wo 'Mai' kaun hai? Apne aap ko is 'Aham' ki agyan se mukt kar lo Vats, tab tumhe apne Kartavyo paalan me koi sankoch nahi hoga"β€”such a Great Lesson! β­οΈ

In the first scene mentioned above, when Gargya utters these words (referring to the marriage of Vasudev and Devaki)- "Wo ek 'Daivi Karya' hi hai Vats, unhi ke sanyog se jo Jyoti utpann hogi, wo saari srishti ko Prem aur Bhakti se aalokit kar degi" – his face just shows that Divine Peace!  β­οΈ I love to watch Maharishi Gargya in all the scenes! He is so wise, so poised and so devoted to the LORD! β­οΈ β­οΈ

@ Lola,  Loved this sentence-"...our mythos contain so many examples of events/actions that are vinaashkaari at the surface, but lead to mangalkaari results somewhere down the road"- So true!!

And Dear, Loved this part also –" but now, having seen the Supreme Lord himself in your son that egotistical protectiveness of the Protector has totally vanished?" Don't have any answer for this qs 😊.

Now, a great question this one- "how does one continue to participate in the events of daily life and particularly, how does one stand up against injustice if he doesn't perceive it as injustice?"… "…How can one be detached and compassionate all at once?" -- Really a nice topic! β­οΈ

@ Shivang, Excellent explanation regarding Kaikeyi, Vashishth and Drashta Bhaav! β­οΈ β­οΈ

Just trying to add my explanation about 'Drashta bhaav' and 'Action'  as I have understood it till now 😊:

Well sometimes I do start thinking that what remains the Aim in the life of a Devotee who has already experienced the Divine Bliss. The Answer I guess is that after that experience they start living for others, then nothing more remains to be attained by them, still they keep on  acting acc. to the role they are given by the society/chosen by himself/herself. Now, why I referred to this topic is because as far as I can understand, these sages, who have experienced that Bliss and are still existing in the society, we can say that their aim is Only to SERVE OTHERS, to show them the proper way! As they have already detached themselves from this bodily existence, they are free from any earthly arttachments, so they do not get involved in any particular event happening in front of them. On the other hand- they watch it 'as a whole', i.e.- they get concerned about the Whole Creation, the Well Being of ALL (which both of you have already explained 😊) l! Here, my sentences are contradictory πŸ˜ƒ, but I feel that- it is only because they are Detached, that they can work Properly. The 'Saakshibhaav' in them makes them aloof from the actual situation, they can actually Observe themselves in any particular situation without being moved by it. 'Compassion' for the whole creation in the True sense can only take place if that person is free from any kind of attachment. The sages exist IN the Situation but they also maintain a DISTANCE from it, which makes them capable of correct action at the correct moment. So actually Detachment and Compassion go hand in hand in a 'Sthitapragnya'.

Hey Guys,

I got the SK DVDs! So as soon as my final examinations are over (Friday), I'm going to start from Episode #1 all over again and hopefully share my views with you about Maharishi Garg.
@ Shivang - really enjoyed your take on the dhrashta bhaav issue bhaiya. The Hum Aapke Hai Kaun example really sold me, brilliant reference πŸ‘ That's where I stand on this, I think... that these sages are entitled to moments of ordinary emotional reaction as long as it's reactionary and not a force of motivation for their upcoming action - they aren't slaves of the emotion, but they aren't blocks of wood either πŸ˜† Switching levels of consciousness, in your terms, before any damage is done by the emotion and a new karmic seed is planted. Ati uttam uttar diya aapne πŸ‘

@ Debi - wowww great additions di, really relished them πŸ‘ Esp the part about "daivi kaarya"... what a beautiful thought that Jyoti metaphor is 😍 Also loved the bit about ego, "yeh main kaun hai" - that is really important lesson highlighted in this scene.

@ Janu - really looking forward to your additions hun, luckily the very next scene of his is one you have in your dvds
next scene!

Here goes Gargji's next scene, in which he tells Shandilya Muni the secret of Balram's transfer and describes the mysterious but delightful nature of the lord's upcoming leela. In an awesome line that is one of my fav one liners from the show, he says "Ab jo honewala hai, woh to unki ichha par nirdharit hai jo vidhaata ke bhi vidhaata hai!" Please share your thoughts!

Starts 8 minutes into the first, continues in the next:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WuGu8V8r2Q[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orc3PjnFFlE
[/YOUTUBE]

random sidenotes: the above posted scenes was one of my absolute favorites when I was little, because of how the whole room turns yellow before Gargji appears. I always wondered how he's floating in the air, secretly wishing I could also sit like that πŸ˜† j/k...

the metaphors in this scene are sooo rich and beautiful, esp the koti koti suryon ka prakaash one... wowww what a vision 😍

And... fact of the day: the dubbing voice used for Dara Singh in Ramayan was the same as we heard from Gargacharya, Shursen, Bhishma, and Brahma in SK.

πŸ˜†I enjoyed to read about your child age curiosity. Any child would first think of those amusing powers of Hanumanji first naturally. Flying, disappearing, changing form. But now we can logically understand them to be the control over PANCHATATVA. Now we can very much understand that it was not the gross body (Sthool sharir) of Garg which traveled to Shandilya's aashram but it must be subtle body (Sookshma sharir). 

You are right. I also have felt that Hanumanji's dubbing voice is same as Garg's dubbing voice. The dubbing artist has cleverly used different tones, styles & voice modulations for different actors you mentioned. But mostly Garg's expressions are similar all the time - slow, mild & emotional (even his strong powerful voice in dialog with Kans is relatively mild compared to Hanumanji) but in all Hanumanji scenes, Dara Singh had wide range of emotions & expressions and hence at times the voice of Hanumanji for some specific types of emotions is not found for Garg.

This scene achieves extreme spiritual and mythological heights in terms of devotees beliefs about HUMAN KRISHNA.

The line you mentioned is really one of the greatest line in the entire serial. Something was going to happen which even Brahma's son didn't know. Kans was going to die - that was destined. The purpose for which Krishna incarnated was destined. The future of all the creatures of Brahma's creations was supposed to be known to Garg (including Kans, Ugrasen, Vasudev, Devaki, Nand, Yashoda). But how those things were going to materialize and through whom - that couldn't be seen by even Brahma's son - trikaalgyaani. He could see in front of him events of all the three tenses in the lives of creatures of Brahmalok and all lokas below it. As Krishna-Balram-Yogmaya trinity's births were divine and so as their future leelas (and they were greatest souls above Brahmalok), they were beyond comprehension of astronomy area of lord Brahma and they were beyond control of NAVGRAH and GRAHDASHA. The manner in which future course of events was going to happen was purely as per the wish of Krishna (independent of karma theory & destiny) and even the exact purpose of Balram's birth & life was not clear to Garg. God wanted even him to enjoy his leelas as and when they were going to come (This is not found similar strangely in Valmiki's ability to see Ram's future and Ramji saying Lakshman & Nishadraj - vidhi ke vidhan ko koi badal nahi sakta mitra, karm ke siddhant se to bhagwan bhi bandhe hue hain - so slight complexity of harmonizing the two incarnations). This power of Krishna's incarnation to change the destiny and completely change the destined course of events for devotees at will relates our mind directly to the incidents of Punardatt & Parikshit given back the life after death (Punardatt new body also of the same form).