Most underrated character in Ramayan

Poll Question :

Who do you feel is the most underrated character in Ramayan, and why?

Poll Choice
Sumitra
Urmila
Vashisht
Vibhishan
Janak
Mandodari
Nishaadraj Guha
Other - please specify
Login To Vote
Posted: 13 years ago
Which Ramayan character do you guys think is worthy of more recognition than he/she gets? And for what reasons do you think they deserve more attention - what specific virtues did they possess, in which events did they demonstrate them, etc. If there are others who are so underrated that I forgot to list them, who are they? πŸ˜†
mandodari.
because she was the wife of a great king. but she is one among the great characters ever. she was down to earth, simple. but her words were not considered by anyone. in Ramayana she do not get much attention.

would like to mention the name of Thara too.
well im agree with mani...dat  mandodari was underrated..n i think at ram ji side shatrughana n shrutikirti were underrated....
i'll go for Urmila
we always here about Ramji Sita ji and Lakshaman's sacrifices
but who remembers that Urmila too suffered .. Virah as Lakshmanji went with Ramji and Sitaji.
Sitaji still spend 13 years with her husband but Urmila cudnt be with Lakshman.
I second u Pari di ..
her sacrifice was nowhere less than that of Ram, Sita n Lakshman but still her sacrifice nvr gained the recognition of the same level which the other three always get .. πŸ‘ŽπŸΌ
I go for Urmila as well. She was separated from her husband for 14 years (a very very long time), and was told never to cry during that period. Her sacrifice was  as great as Ram, Sita, and Lakshman's, but she doesn't get nearly enough recognition. 

Sumitra would be a close tie for me though. She was also separated for 14 years from her son, but in serials and movies it is only shown as Kaushalya who is suffering. (for the most part)

Edited by aishi.muffin - 13 years ago
@parina: word! When I read the topic, right ways I was gonna say lakshman's wife because I couldn't recall the name. yea, Urmila is definitely the most underrated character, we all know what bharat, lakshman, vibhishan have done. But we don't acknowledge Urmila's sacrifice and love, perfect example, I couldn't even recall her name😳

It's not easy to let your husband go away for 14 years. Because at the end what sita did, she still did it for her husband or lakshman did it for his brother (don't mean to belittle their actions though) but Urmila was truly selfless.
i think it is Sumitra Mata, because even urmila is recognized more than her. we all learn how Urmila was very brave throghout 14 years vanvaas, and there many stories and dramas out there and center around Urmila, but there is nothing about sumitra. We learn so much about Kaushalya and Kaikeyi mata too, but nothing about sumitra.😳
Originally posted by anchal2

It's not easy to let your husband go away for 14 years. Because at the end what sita did, she still did it for her husband or lakshman did it for his brother (don't mean to belittle their actions though) but Urmila was truly selfless.

Yeah dii, but sita mata was also separated from her husband for one year, and then 12-13 years in Uttar Kand.😳😳 And after that she never got to see him again, at least Urmila and Lakshmanji were reunited forever, right?

I think all the characters' sacrifices were selfless, we cannot term one's more sefless than the other.😳😳
Originally posted by ILuvGuruDebi

Yeah dii, but sita mata was also separated from her husband for one year, and then 12-13 years in Uttar Kand.😳😳 And after that she never got to see him again, at least Urmila and Lakshmanji were reunited forever, right?

I think all the characters' sacrifices were selfless, we cannot term one's more sefless than the other.😳😳

knew I shouldn't have said thatπŸ˜† especially when I don't know my stuff. I don't know what uttar kand is, but everyone seems to be talking about it? is it the period when Sita maata had to leave ayodhya after returning from the vanvaas. 😳
so I can't really say anything back till I know what uttar-kand is, and their actions weren't neccesarily selfish, but I can only explain what I meant once I know what uttar-kand is. I googled it but nothing showed up.