New FF: New York times with Maan and Geet

Posted: 13 years ago

FF: New York Times

People, penning down something that I have been mulling over for a long time'Let me know if this one has any future. It will be a short one to my knowledge.

I'm giving some basic introductions to the story line, characters and any change in personalities to all our existing Geet characters.

Geet Khurana:  From Hoshiyarpur, married at 18 to Dev Khurana. Currently in Toronto Canada. She is strong,  ziddi, very positive and good at what she does  be it taking care of the house or her higher education. Geet has managed to finish her studies after coming to Toronto with the help of Dev. She currently has a MS in Information systems. It's been 5 years since her marriage to Dev and she is currently contemplating upon a job offer .  Geet and Dev's marriage has been that of any other regular marriage with the usual ups and downs.

Maan Singh Khurana:  Eldest of the Khurana siblings. He is currently 28 and is single based out of Manhattan, NY. MBA from a very reputed business school in US and works as senior manager in a Financial company in Manhattan as well. Maan lives alone in the penthouse of a 25 story building. He is the go to guy for all issues. He keeps to himself and rules any meetings he walks into. Maan has no need to make a living as he is one of the heirs of the Khurana empire. Rich, handsome, and available makes him irresistible for all' ranging from aunty admins to young interns in his office.

Dev Khurana: Owns a small IT placement firm. His business has been average and off late has been facing issues with the new H1B rules. Dev  respects Geet for where she has reached from being a small town girl. Dev doesn't want Geet to join his firm and wants her to make a life for herself.

Nayantara: Currently in Toronto and also owns a successful IT placement firm.

Savitri Devi: Maan's Daadima and only other family after his sibling. She stays in Delhi and manages all the other businesses of the Khurana empire. She frequently visits Maan in NY.

Yash: He is another smart and good looking guy who works in the same firm as Maan, but in the IT division.

Meera: Works in the same office as Maan along with Yash in the IT division.

Nakul: Maan's help at home. Forced to come along with Maan to US by Daadima.

Now the character tie ups and more info'

Dev and Naintara are partners as Dev's consultants are given opportunities with multi nationals through Nayantara's firm. Dev has always had a thing for successful, independent and rich women. He wants to make his company big by partnering with Nayantara's firm.

Maan works with Yash and Meera as they help Maan get to all data needed for his executive decisions for the company. Yash and Meera also live in separate apartments in the same 25 story building as that of Maan. Of course they live in the 600sq ft apartments which are way smaller than the 2000 sq ft penthouse in which Maan lives in. Even though they all live in the same building, the relationship between Maan and the others is very professional.

Yash and Meera are good friends. They fight all the time. They hang out together as well in the Newyork pubs. It's their dream job and they are very happy with what they have in life right now living the single life.

Geet and Meera have been friends since their childhood and she is the only friend Geet has abroad. Of course Geet has her circle in Toronto, but Meera is the only one close to her heart. Geet has got an offer with the same company as Maan's, in the IT division. Her role will be that of a Junior Analyst. She will be in the same team as Yash and Meera. Meera helped Geet get the job by passing on her resume to the HR.

Currently Geet is contemplating on taking up the job offer in Manhattan as it will be a long distance relationship if she moves from Tornoto. Dev very much wants her to take up the job.

Maan is a nobody in New York and it all changes whenever he comes to India. He prefers to stay away from all the media and news. At the moment Maan is in India visiting Daadima and also visting the offshore vendor of his company.

I'm thinking of narration from both Geet and Maan's perspective.  Some parts will be from Geet's perspective and some from Maan's. Lets play with it and I hope I will be able to tap into your creativeness if mine goes dry...so please please comment and give me the thumbs up if you want to see how the story unfolds.

Index

Part3: 17th Floor Gym 
Part4: My First Assignment
Part5: 
A day in the life of a Jr Analyst
Part6: 
Saturday musings...
Part7: 
Hot Chocolate?
Part8: 
Nostalgic...A walk in central park
Part9: 
Monday...not Maanday
Part10: 
Its Official
Part11: 
To be or not to be...
Part12: 
Hoshiyarpur to Toronto...
Part13: 
Chath pe aa sake te ho?
Part14: 
Vegas Baby!
Part15:
 Cap ou pas Cap..(Game or not!) 
Part16: 
Classic case of self preservation...
Part17: 
Something for my secret stash... 
Part18: 
Penny wise and pound foolish...
Part19: 
House trouble...
Part20: 
Flea Market...
Part21: 
Sunday brunch...
Part22: 
Bed Bath and Beyond
Part23: 
The Crossover at Canyon
Part24: 
Fire and Ice
Part25: 
An open book...
Part26: 
Cupcake, candle and starlight...
Part27: 
Sweet Nothings...
Part28: 
Mars and Venus
Part29: 
The severe case of Mono...
Part30: 
Project J
Part31: 
A breath of fresh air
Part32: 
Pink slip.
Part33: 
Hazy boundaries...
Part34: 
House Arrest
Part35: 
Wild life observer
Part36: 
Life's undo button
Part37: 
O re Piya...
Part38: 
My frozen dinner wali
Part39: 
Alleyway by the dock.
Part40: 
Keepsake
Part41: 
Bridge to bliss.
Part42: 
Only a heartbeat away...
Part43: 
A game of roulette
Part45: Open Sesame.
Part46: Pandora
Part48: To lanka...
Part53: Deliverence
Part55: Live bridges
Part59: Event horizon
Part60: 
New Genesis
Part61: Sliding doors
Part65: Nirvana
Part67: Panacea
Part69: Stairway to Heaven

Remaining Parts: Link to Thread 4

Edited by 6thElement - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

maaneet2010 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
@Hasini :  Super. You have caught my attention  😊 . I am curious as to what will happen after Geet joins Maans office .

Edited by maaneet2010 - 13 years ago
punjabi.princes thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
very interesting concept!

I guess i'm neighbours w/ Geet b/c I'm from Toronto!! lol

con't soon.. hope they fall in love soon too! 
anufa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
superb concepT!!!

update soON!!!

add me to ur pm list!!!!
shreya satish thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Networker 3 Thumbnail
Nice one.... Waiting for the updatess
kirannaryani thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
wow that was really nice update can u plz add me in pm list
Alright people, I was waiting for five thumbs up...so here is Part 1 for you...Please comment if you want me to change the writing style if its not clear...I'm not a writer in any way...All references to first person refers to Geet's monologue.

Part 1: Geet Lands in JFK

Day: Thursday 11.00 AM

I'm not sure if I want to go to Manhattan. I was not sure if our relationship could endure the long distance. Not that our marriage is on the rocks, but I don't know why…I fear this whole idea. Dev is always telling me to go behind what I want and right now I want a job. I don't think I can stay at home any longer. The days are long and the nights are even longer. Dev is constantly on the phone screening his consultants and taking them around for their interviews. I don't want to ask him to make time for me. He should know that by now. Mom calls me often and asks me if she is ever going to get to see her grand children. I have started avoiding her calls lately. All my friends from school have a job or have settled with children.  This is not how I want my life to be. Perhaps I should call Meera now.

Geet: "Hey Meer, How are you?".

Meera: "Hey Wazzup, how come at this time".

Geet: " I wanted to talk to you about the job offer"

Meera: "Wait….I thought you are taking it up…Dev is saying NO now"

Geet: " No he actually wants me to take it up…tum to jaante ho…woh kabhi naa nahi kehte hai"

Meera: "So you are hesitating…"

Geet: " I'm worried to leave Dev alone…its nothing actually…I'm not sure about this whole long distance thing"

Meera: " Hey! You don't know how things are going to work out…for all you know the long distance will actually make you guys grow fonder".

Meer is right…I'm in denial. Our relationship has lost the lusture …I'm no longer the new bride. I'm the same person, Dev comes home to everyday. I'm the one who is always there at home, to clean and cook and wash and Dev knows I'm not running away anywhere.

Meera: "Hulloooo you there?"

Geet: "Haan…ok…I think it will not be bad to try it out for 6 months…but…".

Meera: " Talk to Dev and give me a call…they need to know if you are joining by today…and you have to think fast….they need you to start by Monday…and today is already Thursday… Hey Hey….Yash…I'm still reading it…"

Geet: "Hey…you are still talking to me right?"…

Meera: "I gotta go now…Yeh yash bi na…sirf mujhe tang karne ke liye hi hain…Don't forget to text me once you update the HR with your decision… Bye"

Geet:  "Bye…will do".

Alright then…so this is it….I'm going to be c/o Manhattan starting Monday. So checklist…formal clothes, new shoes….Where is Dev's card…ok…let me get started….perhaps I should call Dev and confirm before I go around shopping…

Geet: "Dev…"

Dev: " Hmmm"

Geet: " Ji …I'm taking up that job in NY"

Dev: " I thought we already discussed it…"

Geet: " But I was a little doubtful remember…"

Dev: "Hmm…so you are going for sure right"

Why does that sound so ominous to me? Am I doing the right thing?

Geet: "Ji haan…I'm taking your card for getting some stuff".

Dev: "Hmm"

Geet: "Chalo ji…bye"

Dev: "Hmmm"

Do I get a bye…no…anything I ask…"Hmmm"…Everytime Nayantara calls…pata nahin kahan se shabd aaja te hain…

Text message to Meera: " Meer…pick me up from the airport on Sunday  at 6.30pm and clear up some place in the closet…Happy?"

Test message to Geet: " I'm so looking forward to our girl time…just like old days…we are so partying on  Sunday"

Day: Sunday 6.00 PM

I can't afford to think too much now…I have taken the flight and 30 mts away from landing. I can't afford to have doubts now. Ok..this can be like a vacation…babaji…mein teek tho kar rahi hoon na. This can be like our unofficial break and Dev will definitely miss me…and then we will all be good. Anyways he will  visit me everytime he does client visit…so what do I have to worry about…Its not like…I'm going to change in the next six months…and neither is Dev going to change…then why am I worried….

"Good evening new Yorkers…this is your captain speaking…we have clear skies and we are preparing for touch down…please fasten your seat belts…."

Babaji …I have never lived alone …aur who bhi itni badi shehar mein….Meer tum please late mat ho na…

Sunday 6.35 PM Receiving area

Meera:"Geet……"

Geet: "Meer….thank you babaji…tum time pe aagayi…"

It felt  so good to hug her after a long time…this is it meer its just going to be us for the next 6 months…

Yash: "babji… seriously…"

Meera: "Yash"

Hmmm…someone to trouble Meer…couldn't believe my ears…was she shouting…she was the most easy going…and if this guy can do this to her…

Yash: "Sorry…Hello…I'm Yash…Meer ki enemy…"

Meera: "Haan…in every single way…"

Geet: "Hi…nice to meet you…"

Yash: " Pleasure is all mine… meer didn't tell me that she had such a gorgeous friend…"

Hmmm that didnt sound...right...

Geet: " And she didn't tell me that she had such a talkative friend…"

Meera: "chalen….she has to settle in….unlike other people…who has been living off their suitcase for the last 2 years" 

Kuch to baat hai indono ke beech mein...Meer se baat karna hi padega...It's a new city…new beginning…babji please let me enjoy these next 6 months…no emotions…no drama…just friends…yeah I know..silly ones too…

Sunday 6.55 PM From Baggage claim to parking…

Geet: "Ouch"…"Sorry aapko lagi to nahin na…"

Maan: "Lagi…"

Weird…yaahan to log sorry bole to bhi gussa karte hain…main jaan bhujkar thodi na takraye…

To be continued….

anufa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
superb!!!

cant wait for maneet to meet!!!

update ASAP!!!
Doracake thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Hmm nice pls continue.................. 😉

Not as many comments as I expected...but here is the second Part....but the next parts are going to take some time...Here there is both Maan's and Geet's monologues... Hope you like it...Please post comments...I need loads of them.

Part 2: The case of mistaken identity…

She was taken back by my rudeness…I mean why am I even taking about it...now…"Ye ladikiyan bhi…hamesha mujse hi tak rathey hai…yaa jaan bujke mere saamne girte hai.." I hate it when they do that…as if I'm the only guy standing in the streets of New York…"Maan aap ab kis baat see gussa hain"…"Kuch nahi Daadima…aap chaliye…main aapka bag leke aatha hoon"…This is the 5th time Dadi is tagging along with me…everytime she comes over…she's always planning something…she is either sick…or has to meet a business partner…or she wants to go shopping in Soho…kuch nahin…sunte sirf unki marzi chalta hai.."…Its not easy…atleast not for me…and I'm not going to make myself vulnerable again…Only if you get close to people…you expose your weaknesses….if you stay away from them…maan you are good…Its just for 2 weeks…then Daadi will leave…and then its just you…so no worries…

…Hmm…why isn't the driver not here yet….here he comes…

"Dadi…chaliye…driver is here.."….Even as Daadi is settling into the car…"Maan…Kal apko mere liye kisi se milna hoga…" there she goes again…I had the right intuition…."Daadi…I don't want to meet anyone…and I don't want to marry anyone…"

"DeKhiye Maan Beta…I have not spoken anything about this in the last two months and now…I have given you enough time to think about this…please aap usse ek baar milke to dekhiye…She is very good looking…and very indian…hamari khandan keliye bahut achi bahu banegi…"

…Yada yada…she goes again…

" Woh…actually bahut modern bhi…hain… usne…to dating  ke liye bhi ok keha diya hai.."

"Daadima…aap to jaante hain ki mujhe modern ladikiyan bilkul pasand nahin…aur uske upar…dating…aap to bilkul paagal ho gaye hain…"

"To agar main bilkul oldern type ladki dekhun to chalega kya…"

"daadima mujhe…kisi bhi tarah ki ladki pasand nahin hai…aisi ladki paida nahi hui hai jo Maan Sign Khurana ko hila kar rake…"

"maan beta app bhool rahe hain…airport main jho ladki aapse takrahi…usse to aap badi asaani se hilgaye…"

She starts laughing… what can I say…I coudnt speak anything when she was cracking a joke on me…I had to do it…atleast for formality sake…for her…only for Daadima…She filled me on the girls details...as we were on our way home...

Monday 8.00 AM

"Hmmm Shasha…There is someone Mrs.Khurana is sending to meet me…Once she comes in…please send her straight to my office…I don't want you to waste any time…"

Shasha…another useless female in my life…anyways…I have to bear with so many females around me..

<End Maan's monologue>

In the meantime…Yash has also instructed shasha to send Mrs Khurana, a new joinee , straight to IT division.

<Start Geet's Monologue>

Babji…please aap mujhe aashiwaard di jiye…today is my first day to office…I'm on time…I'm done with my calls to Dev and he even sounded cheerful in wishing me luck…what a day it has been…

I  think I'm already liking the big apple…the subways…the street vendors…the busy streets…Wish I could have come with Meer…she is coming in late to office due to her shift hours…May be I could have waited to come with yash in the subway….but no Geet…you are not going to be dependent on anybody…You are here to make a life for yourself and that is what is important….

OOH! This building is massive…central Manhattan…Cant go wrong babaji…I think I have made the right decision in taking up this job.

The lady at the reception…doesn't seem too rude nor nice…anyways I guess its too soon to guess…

"Hello…I'm Geet Khurana…I'm here…." Interesting she cut me off…why are people so rude here…

"Oh! You are here already…ok…please go directly to the 12th floor and take your first left…the second room is where MK sits…"..

wow…that was fast…ok…let me get there…hmmm which way should I go to take the elevator…should I ask her….no let me figure it out.. ah! There it is….

Babji…yeh jo bi hai…yeh MK…I hope I can impress him with my work…alright here is the second room and off I go to meet….

What…this guy….the airport wala sadoo….

"You….I mean…itni jaldi....I thought you were coming in later…" He didn't quite expect my arrival…

He looked so professional today in his full sleeve blue shirt…I mean…after all he is working for a financial firm…so that is how people dress right…I mean…there is nothing new  about it right…so …why am I pondering over this now…

" Ji woh…mein pehli baar mil raahi thi…tho socha ki jaldi milke we can get started…"

"Kya...aap tho badi fast lag thi hain…"

"Haan Yahan tho fast aur cut throat hi hona chaiye… nahi tho…aage kaise bad sake they hain…"

"Aage badna…lekin aaj hi toh mile hain hum…Dekiye…mujhe personal relationships mein koi interest nahin hai…"

"That's great…I believe in professionalism too…"

"Sorry "..Something about my reply did seem right to him…"Jo bhi ho…anyways…I'm meeting you only because of her…I have so much respect for her and I can never say no to her…"

"Haan …I'm also here only because of her…mein jo bhi karoongi bahuth mann laga ke karrongi …I will never let you down"

" Dekhiye…aapko mere upar mann laga ne ki koi zaroorat nahin…ye jo bhi arrangement hai…mujse ek din bhi nahi hoga…"

"Lekin….mujhe to bola gaya ki aap 3 months ke liye temporary try karenge…agar aap mujhe pasand karte hai to uske baath permanent positions ke bare mein baat karenge kareke"…."Dekhiye…I have left Toronto and come to NY only for this …had I known this…I would have never come…"

"Temp se permanent.. are you ok….Dating se shaadi…kya aapko ek contract hai…temp se permanent kiya jayega?"

"Dating aur shaadi… mein tho yahan jr Analyst ke job ke liye aayi thi…Mujhe samaj mein nahain aa raha hai ki aap kya bol rehe hein Yeh Koi Marriage bureau to nahin na…"

"Jr Analyst…Aap kisse mile aaye hain"

"Yash Malhotra , IT Division"

"Oh!" ..He mellowed and clearly looked embarrassed...It was an interesting conversation…I didnt want to explain any further " Looks like there has been some confusion…you are in the wrong room…"

He picks up the phone and hastily speed dials someone…

"Shasha….can't you screen people properly before you send them to my room…Don't repeat this…this is your last warning"…

"Sorry MK…she said something to do with Khurana and I got confused"

…as he is about to put the phone down…he hears shasha say something on the other side of the phone…he puts the headphone to his ears once again…

"Hmm tell me…"…

he pauses for a short while…and says…

"Ok…I will go to IT division and pick her up….but you…..you don't repeat this…alright…I don't want any more mistakes…"

He gets up from his seat and starts walking towards me….I couldn't help notice how taut his structure was …he was atleast a couple of inches taller than me..a well maintained stubble…fitted shirt…as if the shirt was sitched only for him…It fitted him like a glove…its had the gloss of a shirt worth couple of hundred dollars…Geet…stop it.why am I noticing all this…

"Actually…There has been some confusion… I hope…you…" So much hesitation in his voice….and that's when I realized I was staring at him…

He held his hand forward as if to shake mine…His long tender fingers….Geet… babaji…yeh! Mujhe kya ho raha hai….I shook his hand…it was a firm handshake…spoke volumes about his confidence…as if he owned everything in the room…almost everything including…chi chi…what am I saying…

"Hi…I'm Maan…Maan Singh Khurana, Senior Manager, Payment Analytics..You can call me Maan"….

His Voice…it was reverberating in my ears…I have to say something now…what should I say…oh! Babaji…

"Huh! Hi…I'm Geet Khurana…I have been hired for Jr. Analyst position, IT Division"

…I was staring at him…I hope he didn't notice that…

I'm sure he does that people…I mean dazzle people…

"Oh! I see…so that explains the Khurana confusion… Alright…let me take you to your team…they sit right here by the break room…"

We exited his cabin….impressive…he seems young, but seems to have a cabin to himself…having a cabin in NY firm…means he must have some talent no doubt…I followed him quietly behind…

We reached a long hallway which branched off into aisles with individual cubes…Yash was sitting there…busy chatting away with some girl….she seem irritated…

"Yash…I believe you were waiting for Geet…She is here now…There was some confusion…Shasha sent her to my cabin and I believe you are chatting away with the lady who was to meet me…"

"Oh! MK, anyways confusions are always good…"

Maan glared at yash…

"Hmmm…I mean…meeting people is always good…you see new experiences…"

yash was covering up nicely…I couldn't help smile…

Something bothered Maan… not sure…he turned away immediately…

Maan and the young lady trailed away towards his cabin..

"Hi Yash…so that was one interesting company induction…"

we break into a laughter…

"Yaar Geet…tell me one thing…MK actually offered to drop you off here…I mean…did you ask him…but I don't get it…did he actually accept…even though you asked him…Doesn't make sense…"

He was in a confused state…

"No…I didn't ask him…who khud mujhe chod ne aaye…kyun kaya hua…tum yeh sab kyon pooch rahe ho…" ..He smiled…

"Nahi…kuch nahi…chalo..lets get you started with system and supplies…"  and we get started with my formal induction.

Part 3: 17th Floor Gym. Coming soon...if still interested...