mandy0310 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 8
Posted: 13 years ago

This week's Movie of the Week is My Name Is Khan starring Kajol and Shahrukh in lead roles

Lets start off with what you liked about the movie? What didn't you like?
Did you like the songs? Acting?
*Reminder, please leave reviews and box office results out of the discussion, this is about your opinions on the film, discuss :)*

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

.shona. thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
An amazing movie with a beautiful message & out of the world acting :) Enough said. lol

I didn't like the songs though...the only song i liked a bit was tere naina, otherwise liked the movie better not the songs.

SRK SHOULD win best actor award this year for this movie for sure! :)
wezyus thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
I think yes he will win best actor in this movie ...but we never know ,...maybe there wil others new movies ,  we hve  still 4 mths to end this year

pooja_l thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
yeah i liked it, my sis is a big SRK fan so  on her insistance i had watched this movie,

i loved it, i went to the movie for srk-kajol-kjo combo and they totally rocked it

love all the songs, i love that scene where srk is talking about his son in front of mamaa jenny's villagers in church, its quite heart touching, i love kajol the most
princessparkle thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Wow it feels like yesterday I was in the review topic when this film was released *nostalgia* LOL

This was my most awaited film ever, because it was the return of SRK-Kajol :)
A complaint I would have about the film would be that I would have loved to see a bit more of Kajol and SRK-Kajol in the second half. All those Rizwan-Mandira scenes that were deleted! ARGH. Remember going craaaazy about that haha.

Apart from that, the performances were brilliant. SRK was absolutely outstanding and he simply has to sweep away all the awards this year! Kajol was amazing, loved her happy go lucky personality in the first half and the transformation in the second.
Their chemistry was just perfect ... very different to their other films, but still beautiful. I don't think any other pair could have pulled off the love story and made it look as believable.

The songs are gorgeous, especially Tere Naina, Noor E Khuda and Sajda.
*sigh*....Well to be very honest, I had very high hopes for this movie considering SRK-Kajol were being cast together after so long, KJo was trying something different, the songs were awesome, the story appeared to be real but alas...it all came crashing down. :(...Apart from Shahrukh and Kajol's absolutely OUTSTANDING acting/performance, there was nothing about MNIK that I liked. The story was just soo terribly retarded and the loopholes in the film just irked me. Scenes like the police officer telling Mandira that the football bruises on her sons' body were indicators of a racial attack were not just bizarre but horribly illogical. The intention behind the film was good but its execution in terms of screenplay was just terrible.

Leaving aside the major problems with the story, I think some particular scenes taken out of the context of the film were amazing. One where Rizwan talks about Sam in the church and the one where Mandira cries inconsolably whilst holding onto Sam's dead body. SRK and Kajol were truly amazing in these scenes. Shahrukh really lives the character of Rizwan and plays a sufferer of Aspergers Syndrome to the tee. Too bad the entire script was such a shoddy piece of work. I guess KJo is only good at the candy-floss kind of cinema..:S. Don't think the 'real' and 'hard-hitting' stuff is his forte.

SRK-Kajol looked immensely cute in many scenes in the first half. The best one has to be the wedding night one...both looked sooo adorable in white :). Would watch these scenes and certain other scenes again but I seriously wouldn't sit through the entire movie again.
A good intention doesn't make a good movie.

MNIK was downright preachy and one-sided. It was more pretentious than realistic. Instead of letting us audiences decide or think for ourselves, KJo tried to shove his message down our throats. SRK was strictly average in his role; nothing to write home about but not bad either. Kajol was surprisingly bad - especially at the scene where her son dies. It was so over-the-top and not at all authentic. There were few scenes where she was good and showed potential, but overall her performance did not touch me or live up to the expectation. From someone like her you'd expect something brilliant each time and I felt she was just wasted in her role.

But considering the numerous dumb movies that are being made in Bollywood on a daily basis now, this one deserves an appreciation.
Edited by PhoeniXof_Hades - 13 years ago
jonnybgood thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

to be honest I  hated it, it was borning, I only liked the songs. Now SRK was poor he did nothing but copy Dustin Hoffman role from the movie Rainman. I wish SRK had normal role like Kal ho na ho, swades etc

Zareena thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
I loved the movie. Kjo deleted many Srk kajol scenes, which i were disappointed and angry because most of us were waiting for them. If Srk Kajol are together, there has to be romantic scenes. My friends and family all loved the movie. If this isn't kjo's best then he should just stop trying to please others or maybe quit directing😆 Even kank was his finest direction, yes Kank script was poor but his direction was really good and he did improved A LOT as a director. He slowly moved to his NRI or candyfloss image which he was sick of it.

I think Kajol was very good in the movie, i would say probably her best. Even when rizwan follows her at the field, you just say to yourself rizwan just shut up! LOL..and how she says if his name wasn't khan but rathod, he wouldn't had died..it was such a painful scene and i cannot imagine a mandira if not Kajol..that;s what is Kajol for you. Her sorrow when her son dies, how she starting to hate rizwan, and how her life shatters just because she married to a muslim. What karan showed us, many big directors are afraid to show but he had the guts to show. So have to give him standing ovation for trying something new. Here he didn't had a wedding song😆 or karwa chaut or special appearance (Thank you Karan for that🤗😆) Seriously was so sick of all that!

Srk aka Rizwan Khan!!! OMG he was the best thing about MNIK, i just couldn't see another actor doing rizwan, he was FAB!! My fav scene has to be when he meets black/african-american family😭 it was the best!! Now where directors are scared to leave there actress with dark skin, he actually put black actors. How can you not appreciate his work?? karan went, where no one could go and Rizwan's church speech!! I hope this scene would win for filmfare. When i got to know about rizwan going to the family..i was wishing let it be over SOON! but after time passed by, i loved each and every minute. And i heard those all scenes are edited out from english version.

I loved rizwan and kajol's kid combo. He died for the respect and love he had for rizwan. I just wished he could be alive in the movie, or even in coma. The movie wasn't just about Rizwan and Mandira. it was how 9/11 affected Muslims and sikhs community which i think Karan showed it so beautifully!! But one thing i got irritated was how Rizwan goes to Katrina..i thought it was overdone. if kjo would had shown how he gets involve instead of he begins. But other than that. i just loved loved the movie. The scene about how american treated muslims and sikh weren't just made up stories. it really did happened, especially how people thought sikhs are muslims in USA.  Oh i loved who played Rizwan's bhabhii..she was amazing! Especially when her workers snatches her Hijab and her bruises were on her neck, leave you in tears. I thought Jimmy was good, you cannot say if he was coward or not. Because he felt ignored and hated rizwan because their mother ignore jimmy..Again if this isn't Kjo and Srk's best or One of their best work, i really don't know what it will be. And bravo to both of them!! The movie surely was on Humanity and karan proved how much he has matured. Cannot wait for his next directorial. Definately one time watch movie. Either you'll dislike it or will love it. I give two thumbs up, just for a great experience.

Also check out MNIK Reviews

https://india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1335247&TPN=126&#33626200">https://india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1335247&TPN=126�

And the FC

https://india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1337724 ">https://india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1337724

Please join if you liked the movie😳
Originally posted by: PhoeniXof_Hades

A good intention doesn't make a good movie.

MNIK was downright preachy and one-sided. It was more pretentious than realistic. Instead of letting us audiences decide or think for ourselves, KJo tried to shove his message down our throats. SRK was strictly average in his role; nothing to write home about but not bad either. Kajol was surprisingly bad - especially at the scene where her son dies. It was so over-the-top and not at all authentic. There were few scenes where she was good and showed potential, but overall her performance did not touch me or live up to the expectation. From someone like her you'd expect something brilliant each time and I felt she was just wasted in her role.

But considering the numerous dumb movies that are being made in Bollywood on a daily basis now, this one deserves an appreciation.

Amen to that 🥱
A good character doesn't make a good performance either - SRK was good. Kajol was ok. Her repetitive crying scenes make me yawn in each Kjo or YRF movie - we know that she can cry well.

Mandira was a stupid & brainless character - no mom would let their pre teen boy hang out with an Asperger mature man - How come was it his fault if her kid was killed (by a ball btw...)? And how come does she know it's boys who killed him and that it was a racist attack...? Btw Mandira & her son weren't even muslims - so they pbbly killed him cause he was indian 😕

I'm not even starting with the racist & sexist cliches....

I love the performance of young Rizwan - the first part of the movie is good - the second one is STUPID and lacks real substance ...

How come Rizwan get married with Mandira without the consent of his brother who was bwt LEGALLY responsible for him? No mentally challenged person can marry without the consent of the family...😕 
Sometimes I wonder if the absence of Kajol the second part of the movie was to ease her mom schedule ?????🥱

Anyway the scriptwriter has made a good patchwork of worthy HW flicks  and MNIK is kinda the outcome of the brainstorming....
and to deal with a religious question - some nuance is needed - after 9/11- it's not like every american citizen stopped talking to muslims......
Always the easy way to explain the most complicated things....