Yeh Pyaar Na Hoga Kam

Article on Colors Soaps

ssroomani thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 13 years ago

There was an article in Sunday Herald today about soaps on Colors.......it mentions our show as well..........I am pasting the article here.........I am glad to hear that YPNHK was a decent story that went haywire only for the sake of glycerine TRPs!

Glycerine equals addiction
Aarthi Gunnupuri

It is prime time. Background music and screechy voices of the most nerve-wracking kind will cloud the house for the next few hours...

I pass the living room to get a mug of coffee as an antidote to the headache that's sure to ensue, Ehey hey hey ehey the chorus begins and a little girl dressed as a grown-up Rajasthani woman twirls around in slow-motion. I look at my mum, entranced by Balika Vadhu. A few questions, not for the first time, baffle me. 

How did my mum, who hadn't followed a soap since Bold and the Beautiful, get hooked? How did Colors transcend its late-mover disadvantage to become numero uno and remain firmly in place? Why am I on the couch watching this banal show instead of getting my coffee? And finally, since there's a formula for everything now-a-days, including one that will tell you when you're most likely to die, what is the 'Colors Hit Formula'? 

I have never been good at maths but here's what my left-brain, with lots of assistance from the right side, came up with ? glycerine equals addiction showbiz fiends have known forever that glycerine hooks the Indian viewer. That's why Balika Vadhu has an elongated crying scene in every episode. No matter the proportion of the tragedy, whether it's bidding farewell to the woman whose job it was to produce a male heir and leave or Jagya (the husband of the child bride) failing his exams, you'll find the cast jointly hamming their way through the glycerine-induced high in their living room, while the viewers snivel in theirs.   

Then there's that favourite Indian fable about the sacrificial lamb. Uttaran is about a maid's daughter and her spoilt-brat close buddy in whose house her mother toils away. The kid does everything she can to keep her best friend happy. As a young woman, she gives up the man she loves because her friend has to have him.

Later, mental faculties numbed by all that sacrifice, she marries a drug addict, which brings me to the next point ? Stupidity. Laagi Tujhse Lagan is about a poor, young woman who is 'ugly', which makes her future look very dim, as the promo says, 'Kaun isse apnayega?' 

But there's no cause for worry. A few episodes later, it is revealed that the girl is actually very pretty. Her overprotective mother just 'uglifies' her to keep her safe from the neighbourhood ruffians. Apart from the very expected darkening of the 'fair' face to turn her into an ugly duckling, the mother does other things like paste grizzly artificial eyebrows and blackens her teeth. Smart, huh?

On the other hand, a decent story about inter-caste romance in small town India, Yeh Pyaar Na Hoga Kam, took a strangely familiar turn and began to look like the Jimmy Shergill, Hrishita Bhatt starrer 2003 sleeper-hit flick Haasil. For a whole month, the show blatantly lifted the plot and its elements, the college politics, the gun-toting student goon, the star-crossed lovers, and stuck it into the format.  

This list might soon seem outdated, because the channel does the math real fast ? kids, comedy, reality, dance and other elements just flit in and out of the formula. 

Remember how they garnered a lot of attention at first with their cause-centric shows? Balika Vadhu was supposed to be a crusade against child marriage, but the kid settled pretty quickly into the marriage because the audience didn't want to be lectured. Same with Bhagyavidhatha, that took off as story about groom abduction in Bihar.

Now, the abducted groom and wife are crazy in love, with a little bit of the sexual tension number thrown in. In one shot, she steps out of the bathroom, hair dripping as her husband looks at her longingly and the background music explodes. Go ahead Bihar, abduct more grooms.

Edited by ssroomani - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

daddys_girl thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
thanks for the article shobs, πŸ€—

true what the writer has said...

i guess you havent went through the AbHer/YaRav thread yet...you should visit it, it will deffo lift ur mood...😳
jasmine477 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Thanx for the article Shobs

So the article clearly indicates YPNHK is a victim of TRPs🀒,very sad indeed!😭
But  I'am happy to see  the article said it is a decent storyπŸ‘πŸ‘  .
It is true YPNHK  is unique and made us crazy for AbHer and YaRavπŸ˜†
Atleast YPNHK is getting the due credit for being unique.I'am veeeeery happyπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ

jas
fj08 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Thanks for sharing this article Shobha, it is very well written and makes a lot of sense.... sad turn of events but true as we ourselves have witnessed πŸ˜•
--Ratna-- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Thank you Shobs  πŸ€—....nice article...the writer thinks just kike us.....how ..what ,...why.......atleast people know YPNHK started as a simple love story ...DAMN TRPs 😑
Eksie thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Thanks for sharing the article Shobs πŸ€—

Does seem like the writer thinks from the audience perspective .. and not the other side of the fence. Glad to know that the writer thought of YPNHK as 'a decent story' .. that fell prey to TRP's and introduced Omi for some unneccessary upliftment!

The channel heads need to read such an article ... Pata toh chale, log unke serials ke baare mein kya sochte hain!
Edited by Eksie - 13 years ago
Eksie thumbnail

Just read this in Deccan Chronicle ... This was posted last week, but chanced upon it now. Written by Suparna, who always writes in such a way that you can't help but laugh 🀣 🀣

Itna sab syappa kya kam tha that on Yeh Pyar Na Hoga Kam (again, Colors), Leher aur uske parivaar par musibaton ka pahaar toot pada. First toh Leher's poor sister got married to that bull-frog Omi and now Leher's father is no more. And while all this crap was happening, Leher was taken away by goondas hired by that slimy man in her house who has had a bad nazar on her for a long time. Aaj Tuesday hai, and we don't know yet what bad-bad things those horrible men are doing to her. I just hope that whatever happens, Abeer can find the love and strength to stand by Leher. Hari Om!

I hope after watching last week's episodes ... she has some nice things to say about Abeer 😳 

Eksie thumbnail
Here is another one ... that mentions YPNHK in the list of 'Love Stories'  

Nothing much actually ... but its funny how producers themselves are confused! While in some articles .. they say that melodramatic stuff is what the audience likes to see .. yahan some say that issue-based stories and negativity bahut ho gaya, ab people are looking forward to watching good love stories!!