immagirl thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
Okay, so my parents don't allow me to have a boyfriend ever  (arranged marriage) , but i dont want to be in an arranged marriage, and i want to date and go through the stuff all of my american friends go through.
so i have a boyfriend, but ive kept him a secret, but how do i tell my parents this?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

..imperfect.. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Oooh am nt sure abt his coz am rubbish at giving advice lol

If ur an asian, then u can try asking the guy to ask his parents to come and talk to somebody from ur family and just never let ur parents know that this guy is really ur bf.. I mean if his family comes and talks to ur parents and never mentions about love or anything then it would be just like arranged marriage.

Or you can just try to make ur parents understand that u really love him and hez a nice guy nd wil keep u happy and stuff.. But I dnt think telling your parents is gonna help, im nt trying to scare u or anything but it can make thingz worse sometimes.

Edited by urooj92 - 13 years ago
I agree with Urooj

It is really difficult to approach this to your parents as you are not allowed to date. I dont know how old you are, if you are of an age to get married then i think you should talk to your parents. If they guy is a good boy and that there is no way for them to say no then you could go and talk to the boy parents and they can come and talk to your parents on your behalf since ur parents are quite strict about it.

However if you are not of age to get married then you should probably take it slow and dont tell your parents anything yet.

Try to approach your parents, telling them how they would feel if you ever choose someone. Talk to them indirectly. Take everything slowly, dont rush...
cool_rashi thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
k so one thing is clear that ur parents dnt want u to have a boyfriend..but are they okay with u keeping contact with guy friends...ex: r u allowed to invite guys for parties inwhich u invite ur girl friends!
if so yeh, introduce him as ur friend 1st.....give a chance to ur family to know him...and slowly introduce his family to yourz....let em' become good friends...after awhile...slowly when u think its the right time...tell ur mom first...and see her reaction....

hope this helps :)
ROBlicious. thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Umm I had that same problem so i think I might help!

Okay so first you have know if the guy is worth putting your parents threw something like this and if he is then you talk to the parent your mostly close to, Like MOM talk to her&try to explain how you feel, so from there the story starts to take place.

Also a little crying action never hurts. :P
Jugnu_244 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
   honestly tell ur mom abt him... i m sure she'll understand ur situation .. don't hide anything from ur parents.. love is love but parents come first so... ...

thegameison thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
I don't understand why people settle abroad if they have to behave so typically there too! NO OFFENSE

Girl, being your parents, they are just trying to protect you. (Which I don't know why!) But anyway, they are your parents and whatever they do, is for your own good. 😊

Need not tell them NOW, try and help them understand what you feel about the whole arranged marriage thing first. Once, you succeed in convincing them, you may as well make them meet your boyfriend.

Such things shouldn't be done in haste. Changing an INDIAN set of parent's mindset is mighty difficult. Good luck! 👍🏼

-Kanky

Jiannax143 thumbnail
solving this situation only gets easier as you get older..if you are young then you have every right to experience such things because honestly parents are hypocrites..they were young once and they had friends of the opposite sex..maybe not boyfriends or girlfriends but they probably hung out or talked to guys/girls so isolating you from that isn't right
i wasn't allowed to have a boyfriend but i was with my bf for 6 years until we told my parents and we got engaged once our parents approved and now we're married so trust me it will work out for u
P1nk thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Send your mum an email instead and go out when she reads it, come back in the evening and see what she says.
princessonline thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Well I am not sure if I can help you with this but my friends who is really close to me went through this and she is Indian too. My number on recommendation to you would be is only tell your parents if you're going to get married to him. Indian parents will most likely never be able to understand that having a boyfriend is not wrong, but at the same time you don't want your parents to find out from someone else.  Tell your mom first and don't just strike it on her. Keep telling her that you will marry the one you love and that being friends with boys in not a big deal because then that way she does not think that you will never do such a thing and when you tell her she is shocked to know. Then I guess take your mom to lunch or something and make sure your dad is not with you and tell your mom only and tell her to help you tell your dad. Because mothers more likely are ale to understand but dad's are tough nuts to crack. Hope this helps you

Riya