lovanika thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
I kinda understands what Shobha is trying to say here....

Check out the very interesting Article of Shobhaa De on times of india:
***Bollywood: a question of breeding and upbringing ***
Sonam Kapoor took a panga with the popular writer & columnist of Indian Media Giant

LAST week I wrote a candid critique in this very space on a hugely hyped up film that has tanked. The point is it would have tanked whether or not anybody had written about it. That's the nature of the beast. And that, alas, is the nature of what columnists the world over engage themselves in — it is their job to express opinions. That is what they are paid to do — express honest opinions without fear or favour. Their sole duty is towards the readers who trust them — and nobody else. This is the way the cookie crumbles — take it or leave it. Unfortunately, the current generation of Bollywood brats in their monumental arrogance and limited intelligence forget that not all journalists are purchasable commodities. And if their film is a turkey, that's what it is going to be labelled. Those writers whose opinions in print are available for a price are called by other names, but in the interests of keeping this a polite platform, let's just stick to 'Hacks for Hire'. There are any number of them floating around churning out shameless PR reviews that come with a price tag. Nearly every writeup these days falls into this category. There are two ways for a filmmaker\actor to respond to criticism: Hit back or reflect. Hitting back is childish, petulant and gets the attacker nowhere. And here's where one can separate the men from the boys.

When I wrote strongly about Raavan, my words were challenged as was my response to what was being projected as a major tour de force. When I posted the same column on my blog, I received a lot of hostile comments, which is understandable. Movies are meant to arouse passions. If Mani Ratnam did read the column, or was upset by the criticism, he maintained his silence and stood by his vision without caring about a writer's opinion. Of course, there were several other columnists\critics who felt the same way about the film, but hello! Anything in the public domain necessarily lays itself open to criticism — be it a book, play, art exhibition, musical performance. One has to take it on the chin, sulk privately, cry a little, fume away to glory and move on. Seniors in the business realise this and rarely fall into the
tu tu main main trap. When one runs into them in public, their reaction is often frosty but civil — that's okay. It is tacitly accepted there is nothing personal about the review.There's no axe to grind. The filmmaker has done his\her job by making a movie, and the critic, his\hers by writing about it in an unprejudiced way. That's where the equation begins and ends. Or should.

This is where good breeding and decent upbringing come into play. Take the Bachchans. Abhishek was slaughtered by critics recently after his Raavan bombed. What did the young man do? Did he respond to critics by tweeting in an uncouth, rude language? Nope. He kept his cool. He had put in a lot of hard work, too bad audiences didn't appreciate his performance. Ditto for Aishwarya who was also given hell in print and across channels. She too didn't go into a silly huff and crib about how mean everybody was being to her. Sure, Bachchan Sr did talk about the strange editing and attracted his share of flack. But at no point did the Big B resort to pettiness. Ditto for the Roshans when Kites bombed big time and the press tore into the multi-crore dud, sparing no one — not Mori, not Hrithik. The Roshans took it on the chin. Seasoned professionals from such a background do not take cheap pot shots at journalists and start abusing them on assorted public platforms. Unfortunately, these days, the film industry attracts all kinds of upstarts who reveal their own shabby backgrounds when they launch personal attacks on columnists. Surprisingly, even some of the newbie hot shot actresses resort to slanging matches when critics don't automatically fall at their feet and go gaga over their looks\performance. These immature, spoilt filmy kids should take their cues from someone like a Karan Johar, who is their ultimate guru. You'll never find this guy descending to pathetically low levels and trashing critics. His jibes and cracks are always good humoured, even when he wants to put someone in his or her place. That's called finesse and class. By all means defend your work — but do it with panache. Or is that too much to ask of these one film wonderboys who believe they can teach the masters a thing or two?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ttxl thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
It's amazing what a 2 minute "hahaha" can do to you 😕
ajooni thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Rediff has dragged Imran Khan into this mess..

It is one of the biggest portals...How can they say that he RTed the offensive tweet..How irresponsible!

IMRAN  should Sue😡

Edited by ajooni - 13 years ago
ScarredLife thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 3
I don't understand how this article links back to Soman Kapoor or any -one person in perticular...

ttxl thumbnail
Originally posted by: abhishah

I don't understand how this article links back to Soman Kapoor or any -one person in perticular...

I hope you stay uninformed, otherwise you might start hating some people for making a mountain out of mole. 😕
maya123 thumbnail

Why can Shoba De not stay silent and take the criticism just like some of the dignified actors do when the critics write bad reviews?

Sorry, I forgot that logic cannot apply to journalists.

Funny someone like her who always tears every movie and personality apart is expecting people not to tear apart what she writes?
lovanika thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: ttxl

I hope you stay uninformed, otherwise you might start hating some people for making a mountain out of mole. 😕

Sonam and Shobha De have been tweeting stuff  about each other. They have been calling names too.

ttxl thumbnail
Originally posted by: maya123

Why can Shoba De not stay silent and take the criticism just like some of the dignified actors do when the critics write bad reviews?

Sorry, I forgot that logic cannot apply to journalists.

Funny someone like her who always tears every movie and personality apart is expecting people not to tear apart what she writes?

I'm also finding it ironic that people were ripping Sonam apart when she replied "hahaha" to Punit's twit on Shobhaa De and now they are supporting Shobha De for questioning "Sonam's upbringing"! I'm usually a cool person but sheer hypocrisy of this scale just makes me mad like hell 😡 
xfinity thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
😆 I wonder what Anil Kapoor and Punit's mom has to say about this?? 😆

Tit for Tat, if you hit me, I hit you back 😆
melancholic thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
🤔hitting ws started by shobhaa de i guess if i can correctly remember? ummm , like saying some1 shud b spanked in public?? ..