Why Make Raavan When You Can Make Housefull? - Page 4

Posted: 13 years ago
Thank you Hetal !! That's a really interesting article !! I agreee with it !!
Originally posted by pragya0

Would you recommend Firaaq then? I havent watched it yet.

With regards to the topic I'm sure escapist cinema has its place too- Infact I do like some of them. However whats disappointing is the way media, most critics come down and hard on film makers who try to do something different and are not very succesfull. Either we go totally gaga or we throw brick-bats, there is no middle ground.

Whats the other interesting point is- Most classica were never appreciated when they got released. Kagaz Ke Phool, one of my all time favourite was so badle thrashed and was a big flop when it was released.

And today its regarded one of the best movies to be made.

We should encourage our film-makers to do different things even if the results are not always succesful?

Agreed Raavan was not Mani's best work, but in no way was it as bad it is being made out to be. Some of the things in the movie are truly breathtaking, the canvas, the location, cinematography, the way Santosh Sivan has played with lighting, the different intepretation of Ramayan.

yes, you should definitely watch Firaaq... it is a good watch...!

reason why i did not comment earlier was just to see how people who parrot about lack of interest on people's part on thought-provoking topics, don't really show much interest themselves in any of the thought provoking movies... 😛   why is that, i wonder... you answer that, and you'll have the answer to your original question... 😉

why are people hung up on raavan...?  it was not so different from kites... sure the locales were amazing, and i don't mind the movie... i saw it... it was a good one time watch... even kites had amazing locales... both movies had weak stories... even kites was good for a one time watch... both the movies, i wouldn't watch again... 😛
Why make Raavan when you can make Houseful? Why write serious literature when you might as well write Twilight?

Reason: because there will always be people who love art for art's sake, when the commercial and economical viability doesn't colour one's passion for pure art. Raavan might not be a great movie, but it was an attempt. Art, as often as not, is more about attempting to do new and nonconformist things. yes, sometimes the risk pays off, sometimes it doesn't, but there's no arguing the fact that without these out-of-the-box thinkers, the world will be reduced to a cesspit of cliche and formula.
Originally posted by joie de vivre

Why make Raavan when you can make Houseful? Why write serious literature when you might as well write Twilight?

Reason: because there will always be people who love art for art's sake, when the commercial and economical viability doesn't colour one's passion for pure art. Raavan might not be a great movie, but it was an attempt. Art, as often as not, is more about attempting to do new and nonconformist things. yes, sometimes the risk pays off, sometimes it doesn't, but there's no arguing the fact that without these out-of-the-box thinkers, the world will be reduced to a cesspit of cliche and formula.

absolutely loved your comment, you put your point across very well.
I still remember Rishi Kapoor's quote which I agreed with 100 percent. He said, "Entertainment is an art. Dancing is an art. Acting is an art. Cinema is an art."

He went on about how people are separating movies and how he thought it was rubbish.

I agree with him. That's what the cinema is about.
haila O.O and I only found this article now. I LOVED this article.
haha i wish i could say more but the author has said it all
I think that's a very intelligent article, but where a lot if not given credit for too. Here the author concentrates a lot on the commercial success of a movie, which makes it identity yes, but not its entity. There are still people like me out there, who'd rather watch a Raavan, for the sheer art aspect of the movie and direction and acting, rather than go for some, forget cinema, even DVD rubbish of SIK, Welcome or Housefull, none of which I've watched by the way. Those movies ought to be made, because there still are people like me who have DVDs of A Wednesday, Rand De Basanti, Chak De, Swades, Dil Se on their shelves rather than the 90% senseless,baseless and utterly ridiculous movies that come out every year.

The author is right in his own way. But I still believe the audience is getting far more intelligent today than it was a few years earlier down the line. People are softening to the creative and mature aspect of movies, there would be no way movies like Omkara, Kaminey(though I never thought it was such a master piece), Vivaah, A Wednesday, My Name is Khan, 3 Idiots, and so many more would be widely accepted. Sure, you don't always hit a the bull's eye, but till we are directors like Bansali, Gowarikar, Anuraj, Ratnam who are some of the best in the business, despite however for some their attitude sucks, I think we can still hope for epics.

We need people to understand and appreciate good movie and direction. I dislike Ash, I dislike Hritik, both who I think are hugely overrated for their own good. But I loved Jodha Akbhar, a well-made movie in all aspects. That's worth your ticket now. Who cares about a 3-hour past movie if you get to watch good cinema? Hell, I'd watch 6-hour of good cinema over 1.5-hour of senseless comedy that's not even funny any day!

No one says commercial and intelligent cinema cannot be mixed. What would you call Kal Ho Naa Ho? That's the best example I could get to my mind right now. Wasn't that superb and commercial together? I really cannot figure out why people can't make such movies, and make them well!

I'll come up with more depending on how the thread leads...

P.S And someone rightly said, people care more about what Katrina wears or who Ranbir/Shahid are dating as we can see by response to this thread. Once that's going to change, which is a far, far, far long time, a Raavan would be declared a hit before a Housefull.