anantanant thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
An ode to Omi? I know, I know - most of you are thinking my Abheria is reducing/the long week-end is playing havoc with my mental faculties/I've switched to the enemy camp, etc etc., but friends, forum members and fellow Abherians, please be patient and read through the post before banishing me from Abheria forever 😊

Most of us, when we write the dreaded 3-letter word Omi in our posts, add on useful emoticons like 😑, 🀒 or☒️ , to indicate our displeasure (or even stronger feelings). This post is my attempt to point out the, ahem, positive aspects of this dreaded guy's presence in the serial. Especially because, if all goes well, his track might be coming to an end πŸ₯³ soon. We can't (or rather I couldn't) let him go without pondering over some of his "contributions" to the Abher love story.

So what has Omi (ok, ok, here goes 😑 🀒 ) done for our favourite love-birds?

1. Providing encouragement to Abeer - Whenever Abeer has been down (eg after chath being brought down), who was there for him? His dadi? His amma? Oh, no, it was Omi bhaiyya! With his own brand of psychology, he got Abeer all smiling and happy again.

2. Providing opportunity for Abeer to flex his muscles - come on, if there was no Abeer, where was the opportunity for our hero to demonstrate to his lady love that his biceps 😳 (ahem), are not just for display, but can also come in handy while protecting her. So who's responsible for our Abeer clocking up chivalry points with Leher? You guessed it right, Omi!

3. Providing food, transport and other logstics - Let's be fair here - our Lalla was never very strong in the finance department, was he? If it were up to him (as Kulcha pointed out - cruelly, but truthfully), Leher ke kismat mein there will only be samosas and tea, with the odd jalebi thrown in. On the other hand, Omi bhaiyya has been instrumental in putting together a good spread, whether it's Leher's birthday cakes and gifts or providing an a/c car (with tinted windows, for extra privacy from the prying eyes of chachaji and co.). He even supplies props for Abher's song sequences and is willing to act as photographer, helping Abher capture their romantic moments on film forever 😊. On special occasions, he even obliges with a song or two.

4. Helping Abher relationship move ahead - So let's imagine what would've happened if Omi never interfered in Abher's romance  - more meetings on the chath and in college (nice - in fact a lot of us would have liked that), or if Abeer had his way, more dodgy locales like Dilkusha gardens or worse, ending up in jail (not so nice)? (As an aside, why didn't Abeer just take Leher to Shalini Palace for a first date?) Abher looking on helplessly as their families fought like cats and dogs? Enter Omi bhaiyya, and within a matter of days, the love story whizzes from chup chup ke romance to khullam khulla declarations by Abher to their respective families, to engagement, to, hold your breath, wedded bliss!

5. The pre-wedding events - Who was the helpful source of information to Lalla - informing him of the wedding date, place, time? Who ensured that Lalla would be successfully gate-crash the wedding by being nice enough to bring the most useless and sleepy lot of "security men"? Omi, of course! Remember, this is a goonda, who could've phoned up any police station for proper security (flashback to Dilkusha day). So what is it if not love for his younger brother which left the door wide open for Abeer and his bacha party? I feel that if Abeer had difficulty getting his dad's revolver, Omi could've easily supplied him with one of his rifles.

6. The wedding - When Kulcha 😑 delivered all those hard-hitting dialogues to Abeer - "how will buy Leher's mangalsutra and wedding trousseau?", Abeer could only mutter that he had nothing but love to give her. What he could have said was "don't worry chachaji, your best friend and my bhaiyya, Omi, will look after these minor details". True to form, Omi has supplied everything for the wedding on Monday, except Abeer's wedding sherwani. All Abeer has left to do are the wedding rituals - simple, isn't it? Even TN shied away from his paternal duties, but not Omi, oh, no! Omi has been there for his "chote".

Agreed, Omi had a, how shall I put it, more selfish intent/interest in helping Abeer. But if we overlook "minor" issues like his obsession with Leher and the live streaming (ok, ok, and the wall on the chath by instigating chachaji), do you not agree that Omi - far from being the dreaded, chilling goonda/bhai, is the major instrument behind Abher getting locked in holy matrimony? And on this happy occasion of Abher wedding, which he is watching from his special "seat" (no one has a seat, remember, not even the bride's and groom's parents or old ladies like dadi).

Abher and co have a lot to thank this guy for, don't you think? πŸ˜›

PS - before Omi haters start getting their pulse, BP up, let me put a caveat - the words above are meant in pure jest and are not intended to cause any ill-feeling/anger/acidity of any sort.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

AngelTeen thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 8
Haha! Thank you Omi bhaiya for being the main cupid behind AbHer union and heloing your chottey bhaiya win his Leher...ab Bhabhiji hain woh isliye no obsessing, okay? :D ;)
ssroomani thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
Usha, great topic!   I have never really hated the Omi character, he always presented the comic relief for me.............the only time I got the creeps is when he looked at Leher!   I have enjoyed his interference and as you rightly put, if not for him, things would never have come to such a pass so soon!

In fact,  hats off to CA for getting into the skin of the character so well, I must say he is an excellent artiste............πŸ‘

Omi's punch lines in form of songs at the end of a tension filled scene never failed to crack me up!  πŸ˜†
hinz thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 9

brilliant ! this is what we needed to see off him off ,well thats if he's leaving ,I'm sure he'll stick around to cause more trouble for another couple of weeks ,Omi aise ni haar maan ne wala...

he definitely has added all the fun bits to the Abher relation giving them oppotunities to meet up and sing songs while he thot Aber was sorting out his dil ka matter...

and I agree with Shobs that his lines have always made me laugh and CA is awesome... His dialogues are ever so powerful and he always cracks me up with his bachua log convos...

I have this very silly idea in my head now,though the weather is beautiful outside ,I'm gona stay indoors and do this just to kill time and have a laugh,lets say its something  about Omi and Kul's dostana

be back soon :)

great post Usha !

Hina
Edited by hinanaziri - 13 years ago
ssroomani thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
@Hina:  I also feel that Omi is not really going to disappear so soon.........in fact, I have a small wish that he doesn't..........I shall miss his dialogues............🀣  

Omi haters, pls don't throw anything at me...........duck!! πŸ˜†
bohemia thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
LOL Usha, Omi ended up being the unwilling cupid. Except for the lewd looks he shot Leher, seemed more like a 'tila pehelwan'. Couldn't help but laugh at him nodding his head while being all tied up.

Agree with Hina. Doubt he's going anywhere anytime soon.
MariQuestFilms thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
LOL great post!!

The full credit of Omi goes to Chandan himself. He's such an awesome actor that when Omi's funny.. he's hilarious and when he's scarey he bloody gives us the creeps! Kudos to CA...πŸ‘

Yes, I have hated Omi....... - And still wish for his track to end..... unless they just make him purely comical lol
But yes, if it wasn't for Omi.. AbHer wouldn't of gotten together *confession*.... or married right now. *shaadi track* All credit goes to him.. he's been their cupid and 'set their matter'... hehe.. He plays a part in their strong bond...
I have to say though I stopped being scared of Omi after Abeer beat him up..πŸ˜†
I want him to start calling Leher 'Bhabhiji' again....:P Or at least for the last time.

Marina.India1 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Very creative analysis, UshaπŸ‘πŸΌ. How true!

Even I always think that Omi has (unintentionally) provided more fuel for the AbHer relationship. He sorta influenced the AbHer relationship on a a fasttrack mode!I have always seen him as a comic villain, the only time I felt revolted by him was when he forcefully grabbed Leher's hand in the mandap (*shudder, shudder*)...it showed to what extent he could use pressure and force on Leher after marriage.

If he was really a deadly villain, he would have beaten Abeer to pulp that day (when Abeer and cronies went over to Omi's place the morning after the live streaming episode) considering that he and his paltus were more experienced in goondagiri than Abeer and friends who are more like school boys (err, college boys) trying to play chor-police. Instead, he ran away...found the whole scene quite funnyπŸ˜†

I have never hated Omi really...though slimy and unpleasant at times, he provided more humour for me, with his bachua dialogues, his English ('Leherji ka happy birthday'πŸ˜†) funny expressions, the curly-wurly sturdy look etc...moreso in the Thursday episode when he was all tied up...that episode was so intense, but Omi provided me with comic relief, like Ritika mentioned...i found his nodding, eyes opening and closing etc very funnyπŸ˜†

And Chandan does a great job as Omi. Cheers to him.πŸ‘

anantanant thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Thanks for all your comments fellow Abherians! 😊

@Shobs, Hina, Mariam and Marina - completely agree - Chandan has played this role really well! Kudos to him. In fact the supporting cast do a really good job on the show. πŸ‘πŸΌ πŸ‘

@Ritika and Marina - In the midst of all the drama that was happening on Thursday, Omi certainly provided the comic relief - his head-shaking and expressions (full of glee when Leher said no to Abeer) were so funny! Have you seen his expression in the precap/promo when Abher are exchanging garlands? Classic!
And his smattering of English and his cronies, oh! πŸ€£

The most decent thing he can do now is to give aashirwaad to his chota bhai and bhabhiji.

Lol Marina - enjoyed the chor-police comment! 🀣

As some of you have said, Omi might still stick around - now that Abher need roti, kapda, makaan, I am sure he can contribute. He can also help exposing Kul, who has been on a high horse these last couple of weeks - wonder what chachi and Ankur will think of this face of Kulcha? And wonder what will be Brij's reaction once Kul is exposed? 😑

@Hina - look forward to your post on the Kul-Omi dosti! 😊
Eksie thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Fab post Usha!! πŸ‘ 

Woww! No matter how bad his intentions were .. he did end up giving more than taking! πŸ˜† He gave us AbHer in full form .. and is getting thenga from everywhere! 🀣

Agree with all of you .. Omi has been more of a comical villian. But even then, I wish his track has ended and they don't bring him back again. The story can do without a hardcore villian for sometime, and bring in situational villians πŸ˜› as in, the situations/hurdles as villians in the story.

All said and done .. Chandan did play Omi superbly! πŸ‘ Hats off to him for getting into the skin of the character .. be it dialogues, body language and demeanour! He was good .. which is why he successfully made us hate him! πŸ‘