Short story : A Note at the End

..-..Riya..-.. thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago

A NOTE AT THE END

I woke up to my mother's call one morning. I got up, took a look at my room, grabbed my phone and walked straight towards the kitchen. I could smell something delicious being cooked, so I couldn't resist but poke my nose in the kitchen. My mother caught a glimpse of me peeking from outside and smiled at my childishness. "You'd never grow up. Will you?" my mother asked me. I answered with an instant "No Mom!" "I'll never grow up till you and Dad is here with me, I'm and will be your little princess." "Well, my dear little princess, you'll always remain that for us no matter how old u grow but to everyone else, you have to heir the reign and become the queen." mother said. "Mom! I do not understand what you are saying, so please cut it out and let's enjoy breakfast." I said to mother. I started laying out the table while mother looked at me with a disapproving look. She was about to say something, just then father appeared. "Good Morning Dad", I said and gave him a hug. "Good Morning Princess, Good Morning dear", "O, special breakfast, smells good." Dad exclaimed. We settled down for the breakfast with the daily chit chats of life. Mother was quiet, and so father asked her if she's alright. "I'm completely fine, don't worry." mother replied. "Okay then, as you say, take care of yourself and Princess too." "I'm off to work, see you both in the evening."

It was late afternoon and mother and I just had lunch and settled down for an afternoon nap. Afternoon naps were always very special for us mother and daughter. It was the time when mother and I would discuss all the daily happenings, share jokes, laugh and cry together. That day mother was in no mood to joke and laugh, so I stayed quiet according to her will. She suddenly burst out, what are you thinking of being when you grow up?", "Will you be able to look after the house all by yourself?", "Will you learn to take up responsibilities?", "Will you be able to take care of your father?" "Mom, Mom, Mom, what's wrong with you?", "What are you saying?" I exclaimed. "No Princess, answer me." "Will you be able to take up the responsibilities well?", "What will happen to your Dad after me?" she asked. "There's no after you Mom, you are here to stay by me and Dad." I said. "You do not understand what I'm trying to say." "I do, Mom, I do, and don't you worry now and go to sleep."

I put mother to sleep and laid still myself. I could make out mother knowing all this long back and not letting us know so that we don't get worried. Both father and I knew she was ill, but never in our wildest dreams did we imagine something so drastic is waiting to happen. I looked at my mother's serene and calm face which seemed to freak out, out of anxiety. She was not the most beautiful woman on this earth, but her tender looks and vulnerability made her unique. I continued looking at her and old memories brightened up. I remembered how she taught me to walk and helped me to stand up when I fell, how she made me learn the first three alphabets of English, how she would take me for a shower, how she made me understand not to cry on the first day of my school, how she herself cried when I first received an award from school, how she sang and danced with me, how she advised me when I was wrong, scolded me, loved me and oh so more. Now, I understood the importance of her in my life and how I cherish her. But now, everything is coming to an end. At the thought of it, a drop of tear came down from my eyes and ended in my lips. I bit my lip and closed my eyes for a moment. "No! I won't let anything happen to Mom.", "God cannot snatch her from us", "God, Oh, God! I promise to do whatever Mom asks me to. She wants me to learn my responsibilities. I'm all ready to do whatever she says. But please do not let anything happen to her. She's our angel, my mother. I cannot do without her and so can't Dad. Please keep her safe." I prayed with all my heart. I made a promise to myself that afternoon. I would grow up and be matured as mother wants me to be was my promise. By saying it, I closed my eyes and fell asleep.

It was late evening and I was making tea in the kitchen when I heard my mother calling out for me. I answered with a "Coming Mom, 2 minutes." to her summon. It was the first time in my life I entered the kitchen to actually cook. Well, tea is not included as a cooking ability. But, still it was my first time whatsoever. I poured the tea into two cups, took a can of biscuits, put them on the tray and carried it to my mother. I can never forget the look in my mother's eyes and face when she saw me coming in holding a tray of tea and biscuits. Her eyes glimmered and shone. It seemed she was about to cry. Her face lit up brightly and her hands approached me. I kept down the tray and went up to her. "I'm proud of you Princess." Mom said and kissed me on the forehead. She said very little then but I know it meant a lot. Some things in life are just felt and not said.

After having tea which was really bad although mother praised me, she asked me to go out for a walk. I insisted mother to come with me but she said she had some work at home and I should go out with friends. Though unwillingly, I accepted to go out but I asked her to take good care of her. Since I came to know about mother's condition, I was very scared to leave her alone. But I could not go against her will, so I came out of the house, called for one of my friends and walked towards the market. I wanted to buy mother some of her favourite fruits. I wanted to pamper her completely. My friend and I walked up to the market chattering all way through. I bought a pack of peach and mangoes which my mother liked the best. We wandered round the market looking at things. My friend bought a freshly home made bun. I looked at my watch and thought father would be home in sometime. So my friend and I walked to our homes.

On reaching home, I shouted, "I'm home!" "Mom, where are you?" "Mom?" I called her many times, still she didn't answer. I thought she might be in the washroom. So I went to the dining hall and poured the peaches and mangoes on a bowl there. I wanted to surprise her. I waited for her to come out but she didn't. At last I got impatient and started looking out for her. I couldn't find her anyway until I reached the bedroom. She was still lying there. Her eyes closed and she was sleeping, it seemed to me. I went up to her and said "Mom, wake up now." "See what I've got for you." Still she didn't move. "Mom" I said. Slowly my smile faded away, as I held her hand. It was stiff cold. I froze at my place. Tears rolling down from my eyes and this time they didn't seem to stop. I fell down on my knees. I tried to recollect myself and after sometime I managed, to some extent. I slackened my mother. "Get up Mom", "Nothing has happen to you." "Get up, speak to me." I exclaimed. Still she didn't answer. Howling and crying, I rested my head on my mother's lap.

I don't know what happened after then. I just remember my father comforting me when my mother was being taken away. I knew she would never come back, she's gone forever.  I lost my most precious possession of my life. My Mother. My angel-faced, kind-hearted, warm and loving mother. She can never be replaced.

That very night, I went to my mother's bedroom. It was the place she was with me for the last time. As I entered the room, I could feel her presence there. I sat on the bed clutching my mother's pillow as tight as I could. I never wanted to let her go. And now that she's really gone, her memories were the only thing I could hold on to. I caught a glimpse of a note pad from the corner of my eyes. I held the note pad and saw my mother's handwriting on it. As I read it, rolls of tears streamed from my eyes on the paper. It read:

"My dear little Princess,

I don't know how, when and where you'll read this. But I know, whenever you read it, you'll be ready to accept you responsibilities and understand what I mean to say. Princess, you are my life. Ever since you were born, you have been your Dad's and mine's dream. A dream so beautiful and kind. The times I've scolded you is for your own good. It pains me a lot more to scold my dear little Princess. Your Dad and I want you to be the best because you are the best daughter one can ever have. When sometimes I see you trailing off the right path, I scold you but that is by no mean to hurt you dear. It's all for to make you the best. But, today, when you got me a cup of tea, I knew you were ready to learn your responsibilities and behave in a matured way. Now I am sure that you can take care of you father in my absence. I just want to let you know that I'm not far away. I was always there with you and will be forever. Even now when you're reading this note, I'm with you. So don't ever feel alone my dear. Your Mom is there with you whenever you need her. If you're lost just call me and I'll be there to hold your hand. I'll be looking on you all the time. Take care of your Dad, Princess. And take care of yourself too.

P.S Don't worry, I am here.

Loads of Love

Yours, Mom"

At the end of it, I rubbed my eyes and said "I won't cry Mom, I promise I won't." "And don't worry, I'm here for father and so are you.", "Love you, Mom, love you."

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

aish_punk thumbnail

hey riya..sad story..

her mom wanted her to take up responsiblities..but she didn't really bother abt it..n her mom was quiet the whole time..but she asked her about it during their nap...n that time she did feel she needs to take them up..

she made tea for her mom..n she was touched..she asked her to go the market wid her friend..

after coming back..she looked around for her..n found her dead..she cried hard..but later found that note..n her mom always wanted good of her..thats what all mom's do!..they're seriously the best..

do write more

-aish
..-..Riya..-.. thumbnail
Originally posted by: aish_punk

hey riya..sad story..

her mom wanted her to take up responsiblities..but she didn't really bother abt it..n her mom was quiet the whole time..but she asked her about it during their nap...n that time she did feel she needs to take them up..

she made tea for her mom..n she was touched..she asked her to go the market wid her friend..

after coming back..she looked around for her..n found her dead..she cried hard..but later found that note..n her mom always wanted good of her..thats what all mom's do!..they're seriously the best..

do write more

-aish

Hey Aish..I must say u review stories/poems beautifully. Thanks for ur wonderful comment.😊

-Riya
chhilt thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Oh, this was beautiful! A very nice concept and written very well too... I just came across a few grammatical errors but it's nothing you can't fix :) Looking forward to reading more from you... this was certainly very emotional :)
Arushi. thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail

Hey, it was really nice. It is just another reminder that when you have an oppurtuinity and also the time to do something for someone you love, especialy when s/he wants it, you should do it. Who knows, that tommorow might just not come, and all your life you might just keep regretting it.

..-..Riya..-.. thumbnail
@Chhilt : Thanks a ton!! And yes..I saw some grammatical errors too..I never re-check my workπŸ˜›..thanks for the appreciation n suggestion! 😊

@Aarushi : Thanks so very much! It's very sweet of u to write ur thoughts about the story! 😊
-Destiny- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Well written story  sweety

I lost my grand ma recently And i was the only one she Loved  dearly  ....  So i can relate to the story .. I know how it feels to loose Some 1 you love the most .. traumatic

Awesomely written  .....  I am actually reliving tht pain ...
..-..Riya..-.. thumbnail
Originally posted by: -Destiny-

Well written story  sweety

I lost my grand ma recently And i was the only one she Loved  dearly  ....  So i can relate to the story .. I know how it feels to loose Some 1 you love the most .. traumatic

Awesomely written  .....  I am actually reliving tht pain ...

I am sorry to know that Lekha. My condolences to u and ur family. And I can understand ur feelings. I lost my mother 6 years before. So this story is quite special to me. 😊 Thanks for ur comments. It feels nice. 😊
aish_punk thumbnail
riya - aww thanks!..np at all! :)
..-..Riya..-.. thumbnail
@aish : my pleasure! 😊