Significance of Holi (Post all Holi msgs here!)

Posted: 14 years ago

Happy Holi to all  here....

Holi is celebrated at the end of the winter season on the last full moon day FalgunPurnima), which usually falls in the later part of February or March. In Bengal it is known as Dolyatra (Doul Jatra) or Basanta-Utsav ("spring festival"), its said that the "abir" used during this festival, is an antidote for the disease "pox". (February/March), (Phalgun

The term "Holi" derives its name from "Holika". Holika is sister of Hiranyakashipu, the king of demons and father of the great Narayan Bhakt "Prahlad". He was blessed by Lord Brahma, due to his long penance that he will not be killed "during day or night; inside the home or outside, not on earth or on sky; neither by a man nor an animal; neither by astra nor by Shastra".He demanded that people stop worshipping Gods and start praying to him. Hiranyakashipu's son, Prahlada, was a devotee of Lord Vishnu.   All of Hiranyakashipu's attempts to kill his son failed. Finally, he ordered young Prahlada to sit on a pyre on the lap of his sister, Holika, who could not die by fire. Prahlada prayed to Vishnu. When the fire started, everyone watched in amazement Holika, who was burnt to death, while Prahlada survived unharmed. The burning of Holika is celebrated as Holi.

In Mathura and Vrindavan, Lord Krishna is believed to have popularized the festival by playing with the Gopis.

Pls add more details...

all of the above but, also its to welcome the spring, and the colors that come with it...It brings joy to the farmers, gardeners and everyone who has to do with agriculture so, therefore, it also celebrated...There are many aspects to celebrating holi; religious, economic, and festive..but, I love it because, Holi unites all of us whether we are Hindu or muslim, we all celebrate Holi together, and color each other and wish each other...I love it
Originally posted by sweetchilly1234

all of the above but, also its to welcome the spring, and the colors that come with it...It brings joy to the farmers, gardeners and everyone who has to do with agriculture so, therefore, it also celebrated...There are many aspects to celebrating holi; religious, economic, and festive..but, I love it because, Holi unites all of us whether we are Hindu or muslim, we all celebrate Holi together, and color each other and wish each other...I love it

great info

Happy Holi to all!I actually never celebrated holi as its not celebrated from where I come but whatever I saw in movies and dramas,it looks like a feel-good festival and thanks Bani never knew the reason why!Edited by smitha80 - 14 years ago
Great topic....
Will learn more.... 😉
Nice topic, Bani.

it can also  be regarded as a celebration of the Colors of Unity & Brotherhood - an opportunity to forget all differences and indulge in unadulterated fun. It has traditionally been celebrated in high spirit without any distinction of cast, creed, color, race, status or sex. It is one occasion when sprinkling colored powder ('gulal') or colored water on each other breaks all barriers of discrimination so that everyone looks the same and universal brotherhood is reaffirmed.

Happy Holi Friends!!!
Bani, FAB topic! 👍🏼

Thank you SO much for posting the origin of Holi, didnt know a lot of these facts! 🤗

Will definitely make this a sticky for Holi tomorrow! 🤗
Happy Holi Everyone!

*lagaying colour to everyone*😆 "Bura na mano holi hai"

Thanx for posting this, Bani, didn't know some of the info.

Edited by --sarar-- - 14 years ago
Originally posted by Omshanti1111

In Mathura and Vrindavan, Lord Krishna is believed to have popularized the festival by playing with the Gopis.

Pls add more details...

The story behind Mathura and Vrindavan celebrating Holi is, It is believed that Krishna as a little boy was teased by the cow herd friends that he is a Kala Kanhanyya and Radha is a beautiful girl. Angry Krishna went up to his mother Yashoda and demanded that she make him as fair and beautiful as Radha. Yashoda's effort to convince Krishna that he is a beautiful boy and Radha is no match to him went into deaf years. She took the crying baby on her lap and asked Balaram to gather all the cowherd boys, Gopis, and Radha. Yashoda took gulal in several colors and asked Balram to paint the faces of everyone there including Radha with gulal and convinced little Krishna that is the one and only beautiful face in the entire crowd. Instantly it became a sport and little Krishna joined the Gopas and Gopis in the game of colors. Since then Holi became an official sport of colors to rejoice friendship.

Pls add more details...