•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 14 years ago
Okay...been ages since I dropped by here, but I just felt like doing this today...I wrote a poem this evening, a little different from what I usually write...most of what I've ever written is introspective, to do with what's inside me rather than what's around me...this time, I'm writing about something external to me...something I saw on my ride back home from college...a little boy begging for alms by singing, giving the beat by rolling and smacking a spoon inside a steel glass in his hand...he got off at a signal, raced towards an iron railing around a house, and began to swing on it, presumably waiting for the next bus on the route...I've been taking the same bus for nearly a week now, and the little boy comes in every day at the same stop, sings the same song, gets off at the same bend in the road, and swings on the same iron railing everyday...here's what that inspired...would love honest opinions on it...because this is my first attempt at something like this, and I can only get better if I know where my flaws lie...here goes...

BUS RIDE

Metal box on rubber tyres
Trundles along with passengers
Preoccupied;
A little voice
Echoes through the metal seats.
The steel sound
Of steel spoon in steel glass-
Percussion- rings
Mechanic resolve
To make it through
A minute
An hour
A lifetime
The bus ride
To the metal railing
By the road:
His rusted, iron bar merry-go-round.
The mud-strewn face stares
With steel eyes
The soiled palm outspread
For steel currency;
Steel hearts
Turn their gaze away
Securing the metal
In the wallet
Evading the metal
In his eyes.
The ride is over.
The merry-go-round gleams
With iron light
And the boy waits
In mechanic obedience
To destiny
For the next
Metal ride.

Cheers! 

Nandini 😊
Edited by nandinidev - 14 years ago
Hello!

The initial part of the poem gave me a vision of picturesque small town where beaten old buses carry people from nearest train station. You know how in laid back 70s movies you would get to watch a scene like this? That was the first thing which came to my mind.

However the second part of the poem where the focus shifts from the feeling of bus riding to the little boy. The suddenness in the shift is as real as it gets. Isn't that how it happens in real life too?The irony is not lost and the harsh reality of people ignoring every outstretched hand is not lost on the reader either.

My favorite line has to be - "Evading the metal in his eyes" Marvelous!

Sookie
hey nandini..this poem was fab..

u described it pretty well but there were some confusions too, but the para u wrote in the beginning made up for it.

do write more

-aish
Nandini, this is oustandingly BRILLIANT!! I loved it!! 😃 The use of metal imagery is so apt! And in fact, all the words are so well-chosen! It's really a beautiful poem. Very touching. And very, very well-written!!
Originally posted by -Maansi-

DIS IS A POEMMMMMM???????????????????????

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL..........
😕 And that's funny because...??
that was insightful! i like the metaphorical representation of a routine that becomes life (uncertain if it was precisely what you wished to convey)...

And the boy waits
In mechanic obedience
To destiny
For the next
Metal ride.

this bit was a well portrayed irony: awaiting mechanically and that a routine predetermined which is tagged as an unknown/unforeseen fate...

adios!

(S.L.)
Originally posted by -Maansi-

DIS IS A POEMMMMMM???????????????????????

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL..........

I don't see what is so funny? Please stay away from another persons post if you have nothing nice to say, or cannot present criticism correctly (which may I add is not needed as this poem is BRILLIANT). Your rude remarks are not needed nor are they wanted.

Reserved, just got home from school 😊 I get top of page 2 woop!! 🥳

EDIT:

Nannnnnnnnndddyyy Cannnnnnnnndddyyy 🤗

My favourite feature of the poem which I like very very much is the lexical field you have used of metals as a form of description. It gives the poem as I said before in the PM that sharp edge to the harsh reality of the situation that this young boy faces, as well as effectively conveying the question How valuable is money after all? (This was my personal interpretation).

There is however one teensy weensy thing though which I would have liked if it were a little different. I personally felt I was in the bus watching this little boy and the goings-on in the bus, so I would have preferred if instead if 'trundled' it was 'trundling' it would have given the poem a sense of immediacy and pulled the reader straight in. However this is just me and you were reflecting on a pass experience that you had witnessed, hence I am a little divided. I love how I am contemplating with myself on the changing of the ending of one word. Sorry Candy!!

The poem itself does not seem to culminate at an end, it is just the beginning AGAIN, which beautifully reiterates the point made about the 'merry-go-round' of the spoon in his cup it is a never ending process for this little boy. After one trip to the bus, the never ending cycle begins again, and again and AGAIN. He waits for the bus to come, he jumps on, rattles the metal cup and metal spoon. Sings that rehearsed song over and over, spreads his palms out hoping the occupants of the bus will share a little of the metal fortune in their tightly sealed wallets, and then he jumps off and awaits the next bus to play the same scene over. It is as he is a mere puppet being pulled by strings and is following this same routine over and over.

Turn their gaze away

Securing the metal

In the wallet

LOVED this part of the poem!! The three lines conclude the selfish lives people live, and how they neglect the needy for what 'metal' which occupies their purses. It just conveys how worthless this metal really is compared to the lives of those humans. The poem clearly depicts the importance of even a tiny amount of this 'metal'.

Evading the metal

In his eyes.

Oh another thing which I liked very very much, was the way in which you have portrayed  the little boys desperation to collect this money. When we are young as children, in our eyes we see dream of want we want to achieve whereas, this little young boys eyes are glazed over by what he needs to live, more than what he dreams for unlike any other child. The intensity of the vulnerable boys' feeling for the money is brilliantly put across Candy. I LOVED it!! Seriously a HUGE well done from Banana!! *Hugs*. With minimum description of the boy you have managed to capture his whole life and existence. Wonderfully done Candy!!

The poem naturally flows like the little boys routine. Candy I honestly loved this style of writing. Introspective brings out the sheer honesty to your work, but this realistic form of poetry just proves your versatility it is just as effective and again just conveys how beautifully you write and the message you send across.

I have no idea where my waffling has led to, just my random thoughts coming straight from my head to this Microsoft word document.😆 From pen to paper sounds oh so much better!! But yes you know what I mean 😆. And you are probably the only one who knows what I am saying because if anybody else were to read this. They would think I have gone completely barmy,😆

Loads and Loads and Lots more love

Hannah Banana xoxoxoxo

P.S I have come back to my old habit of gifting you a flower after you write a piece, so today I shall gift you drum roll please.... a simple white rose for the simplicity and sheer honesty of this poem.  

Edited by Hannah. - 14 years ago
^^^  I love the siggy, all fashioanble and all :P

@Nandini

Wow !! The poem was really nice. But at the same time (Im sorry for this) but it wasnt nandini.. i could picture the poem at times and other times i could just feel the words. But nonetheless, this was also a really nice peice.
Great job !!