Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Arwen11 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 14 years ago
I m done now .... fully prepared as it is ....have u read Jane Eyre? and its rewriting by Jean Rhys ... who wrote Wide Sargasso Sea ... it's bertha mason's story .. .the story that was not a part of jane eyre .... i just finished it ... its a beautiful novel.... i hate rochester by the way 😆

kher coming to u .....

parsa .... self-restraint, pure/chaste, virtuous person ....
darakhton ... plural of darakht.... tree
talakh .... harsh
bahayaa .. someone with modesty/ and shame i think hindi lajja is an equivalent of hayaa.... behayaa is shamless
mayaar... benchmark. standard
ibadaat.... prayers .... this term is i think is closest to pooja in hindi ...

yeah i loved that part abt sara finding out ... and u know i enjoyed the pace this far.... and the themes r not any different from an indian soap but i guess the different has come in the treatment ..... and trust me until a couple of years ago this part would ahve been accompanied by alot of loud music and different camera angles and all.... i liked the quiteness of the moment as well.... 😊 poor sara... forced to doubt her own mother.... and i agree with the way she is doubting her mother .... she doesnt know abt the past.... or her father... all she knows is her mother was cut of from her family for years ... any other person in her place would think in the same manner

Arfeen's scenes from here onwards r suppsoed to be set abroad but they ahvent bothered giving them a foreign feel ... and i loved mahrush.... straight forward.... intependent ... she told him her feelings without seeming to be vulnerable .. wow 👏

i think arfeen's father might be thinking like the man that he was.... i doubt it was considered to be so manly to show so much affection for your wife.,... women are not suppsoed to be worth it remember 🤢 🤢 🤢 very very orthodoz thinking 🤢 the scene b/w sisters and mother was my least fav part ... too soap operish in treatment... i guess all of them were put off by saba from the very beginning so they looked at everything from that same prejudiced eye and everything went from bad to worse ... .i wish the scene had been done differently ... i know the kind of mindset they portray still exist .... hell my cousin's big sis still backbites abt her future bhabhi at times because she's not too happy with the choice or whatever.... and she's highly educated.... this narrow-mindedness is real but the scene i guess if the actors who played sisters had acted better than it might have turned out differently ... .those raised eyebrows and sly smiles ...yuck 🤢 on the other hand ... i loved the evil look given by the mother (sameena pirzada) i thought that was menacing rather than exagerrated

lol abt the SRK comparison and its not the first time that such a comparison has been made 😆.... u r right... it is SRKish but we ahd better not let faisal qureishi (Arfeen) hear that 😆 😆 😆 i read somewhere that he was irritated by such comparisons...felt that it was unjust because he is an actor while SRK is a super star 🤣 but i can see the resemblance 😛 but the guy has come a long way... 😊Edited by Arwen... - 14 years ago
skeptical thumbnail
sorry for being away....................couldn't help it 😭   So u agree there was something SRK-ish abt him? There was......   And now a love angle betw Hyder and Sara?  What will happen when she realises that her mother has been wronged?  Surely her mausi is going to tell her.  But the mausi has to respect the fact that her older sister kept her daughter a secret from all of them.  And finally when the truth had to be revealed she chose Arfeen and not Aqsa to look after Sara.  Obviously she is very angry with her BIL.  And poor Arfeen ........ he has been carrying this huge burden of guilt abt what he p'haps did to Saba.   I liked the way Hyder treats Sara.  But I thought he was involved with Maya?  Or is she just a friend?  But all said and done, he's a good son.  And if he is older than Sara, whose daughter is Sara?  Or did Saba adopt her having lost her child during the ill-treatment she suffered at the hands of the Abbas family?  OMG my imagination is running away.............   Now I am going to start on epi 8.............
skeptical thumbnail
Y'know they showed Jane Eyre on History channel some time back.  Dyu get this channel?  Jane was ok but Rochester... the actor who played him was just 🤢
Arwen11 thumbnail
its ok Skep 😊

most of ur questions will be answered in the next 2-3 episodes .... after that i m as clueless as u 😆 waise i m sure haider is older than sara.... she's still in university while haider is now working .... i think an MBA was thrown in the conversation in some episode ... i think maya is just a friend ... in the few scenes she has appeared ... they were really casual with each other ... and maya at one point was teasing haider abt whether or not he liked sara in that way .... i do like the haider sara track but it seems rushed somehow or may be it was all these years of soaps where tracks go on and on .... i like the simplicity of the entire thing though .....

in the previous post u mentioned abt arfeen's sisters... they r married ... but probably visit their maayka often.... or may be they just happen to be visiting at a particular instance ... i mean they cover months in a few episodes .....

do u think u'll watch all the episodes tonight? 😆

i havent seen jane eyre and i never felt inclined to read the novel ... wide sargasso sea, however, is wonderful ... all the more reason for me to not read jane eyre   😆
Arwen11 thumbnail
Hi Skep 😊

just wanted to share something else with u 😊 and no it isnt another serial 😳😆 that will come later i suppose when we r done with this one 😳

Remember that night last year when u sami and i duscussed faiz? the other day i read that there is going to be some sort of recital in Mumbai where Amitabh Bachachan will recite his father's poetry while Zia Mohyeddin will recite faiz (btw mohyeddin has a wonderful voice 👍🏼 not as deep as Bachchan but he emotes so well ..wow) anyways this news reminded me of faiz and the fact that i wanted to share a particular poem pf his but couldnt because i couldnt find the vdo on youtube ... now i have found one .... the poem is another revolutionary one called "Bol" ... it was sung wonderfully well by Tina Sani ... actually that's the rendition i truly wanted to share (i didnt much like the music actually but that voice *sigh*)....i decided to copy the poem as well along with the meanings of some difficult words 😊.... have fun 😆 and btw u dont have to listen to it today ... just when u have the time .... even its a week from now ..... i just think u'll enjoy it ...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_00yp3gSmeo[/YOUTUBE]

btw there r certain sounds and ways of pronunciation that cannot be completely traslated in to english .... which is y the guy who uploaded the written version wrote ".n" instead of plain "n"

BOL
bol ke lab aazaad hai.n tere
bol zabaa.N ab tak terii hai
teraa sutawaa.N jism hai teraa
bol ki jaa.N ab tak terii hai
dekh ke aaha.ngar kii dukaa.N mein
tu.nd hai.n shole surKh hai aahan
khulane lage quffalo.n ke dahaane
phailaa har ek zanjiir kaa daaman
bol ye tho.Daa waqt bahot hai
jism-o-zabaa.N kii maut se pehale
bol ki sach zi.ndaa hai ab tak
bol jo kuchh kahane hai kah le

Sutawaa.N .... well built
Aaha.ngar .... blacksmith
Tu.nd .... sharp (here it means bright)
Aahan ... iron
Quffalo.n ke dahaane .... keyhole]
skeptical thumbnail
Well saw epi 10 just now..................

The mystery element was being played out really well.  I knew in my heart that Saba would be accused of something and thrown out of the house.  But the reason wouldn't have been so commonplace.  I thought the author could have treated the story a bit differently rather making it mundane.
However its the old story of giving the lady a bad name, with her lover believing others and not her and then repentance all his life. 
skeptical thumbnail
I skipped a little portion because it was dragging and I was eager to know the outcome.  What astounded me was the sister's reaction to all of this.  Y'know for all the outrage she's showing today, she was also one of those who accused Saba.  And when Saba pleads "Kam se kam tum toh aise mat kaho" she spits venom.  Her selfish words, "Aapko mera toh khayal aya hota apne saath apne mujhe bhi ...."  Don't remember the exact words but something like that.  She says this 2-3 times thro the epi.  If any1, I am the angriest at her.  "Tum bhi mujhe samajh na saki" the sadness in Saba's eyes, voice and face was superb.
I would say Adil was the only one who supported her and to show his disapproval, I hope he never returns to that household. 
skeptical thumbnail
Arfeen cut a sorry figure for no fault of his.  That was the author's prerogative to mould him that way.  He has to behave that way to be regretful all his life later.  But when he says either way I am going to suffer was done well.  Now I am not sure but do you think Arfeen really believed his mother, a very devout woman?  He knew how possesive she was abt him and resentful she was abt Saba.  His mother is like MM from MRD!!!!

When Saba sits on the swing totally desolate, what is she thinking?  That all whom she thought had faith in her were so shallow.  Her own family!  Her parents refuse to listen to her and her sister? The less said the better!  Why blame his sisters when her sister is so accusative!  That could be the reason why she doesn't want Sara to be with any of them.  She probably knows that Arfeen would have to break ties with her some day or the other because the mother would never have left them in peace.  Mayb his being single at the factory proved to her that he was a good man. 
skeptical thumbnail

I think Saba will be married off to some Tom Dick or Harry.  An elderly person with 4 children!  Mayb Sara is his daughter?
What shocked me was Arfeen's father.  The way he hit Saba and kicked her. 🤢 🤢 🤢 .  The men around the house are nincompoops who can't rise above the situation.  Well if you don't want to be educated, then this is the stupid way you will think.  His parents don't see beynd their noses.  They cant seem to see the sorrow their son is going through.  A lie was fabricated and the die was cast.  The lynching mob pounced on poor Saba and tore her apart.  Nobody would believe her against his unsullied mother.  You know that proverb.....the nearer the church the farther from God?  It fits perfectly.
I was happy she didn't take any oath.  She had realised the uselessness of the exercise and refrained from trifling with the holy scriptures.  At least she was "pak" in her body and spirit.  No wonder everyone is burning in their private hell today.

And I wonder where Sara has gone?  And I wonder what Hyder will have to say when the flashback ends?

Sigh ..................

Have I seen all the epis aired so far?  And when is the next one to be shown?
skeptical thumbnail
That title song now has a contextual meaning to it ..................... and hence sounds even more soulful. Edited by skeptical - 14 years ago