The Boondock Saints: Debate

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 14 years ago
The debate is not about the movie exactly, but more on the concept of the movie. You need not have seen the movie. However, if you have not I highly recommend this movie. It is by far one of the best action movies, in my opinion. Although, I must caution that it can be violent for some and it has a very high f-word meter.

Plot Synopsis:

Conner and Murphy MacManus are two ordinary ordinary working class Irish Catholic brothers. One day to protect a bar owner from being intimidated by gangs, they get into a brawl with Russian mobsters. The Russian mobsters later return to kill them, but they end up killing the mobsters in self defense. They are released by FBI Agent Paul Smecker because their murder was innocent self defense. However, after that they have a vision. They recollect a sermon at mass, where the preacher describes that not doing anything to stop evil is as sinful as being evil itself. They decide to be vigilantes and go on a killing spree,murdering mob bosses, drug dealers, pimps and violent criminals.

They get dubbed the Boondock Saints.

The film ends with an opinion poll of general public. Some people say no comments. To some people the Boondock Saints are heroes. They are almost angelic, protecting the people by killing the bad guys and criminals in society. To others the Boondock Saints are villains. They are devilish, evil people who commit crime by taking the law into their own hands.

This is vigilante justice. Where a person chooses to illegally punish those whom they see as criminals.

The question to ponder is

Are people like the Boondock Saints heroes or villains? Is killing villains and criminals heroic? What is the line between moral righteousness and legal righteousness? Is there a fine line between criminal and hero?

Do you support people who take the law into their own hands? If you do not, what if the law does not function, or the law is corrupted? What if the law is helpless and the loopholes let criminals go free? If you do, how do you maintain order, how do you draw lines so that there is no chaos? On what basis do we trust renegades who take the law in their own hand, how do we know their perceptions are not wrong?

Taking into real life situations, rape victims kill their rapists, people kill someone who killed their loved ones. This happens every now and then. Maybe even petty revenge when someone wrongs you like cons you out of money etc. Is it right to get back at them. This is delving into eye for an eye justice area too. Vigilante justices like neighborhood watch groups and parent watch committed have been known to harass registered sex offenders, former criminals etc. Do citizens have a right to violate a person's rights simply because they have committed a crime? Can criminals have a right to freedom and privacy?

Speaking religiously, Boondock Saints draws a lot of inspiration from Catholicism. Every person they kill they clean up with a prayer, essentially attributing their kills in the name of God. Their vigilante justice was inspired by sermon and a holy vision of sorts. Can people such as the Boondock Saints be religiously justified? How should religion deal with such things that people take on in the name of religion? What is the line between vigilante justice and terrorism? How would you react to someone using your religion to act as vigilantes?

Moving back into more hypothetical situations, most superheroes like Superman, Spiderman etc are vigilantes. While some work in partnership with the law we have heroes like Lone Ranger, Zorro, Batman who often work outside the law or take the law in their own hands. In this sense are superheroes still role models? If you support superheroes and not the Boondock Saints, what is the reason for the disconnect? Then people like Robin Hood who steal from rich to give to the poor or V who encourages violent rebellion against authority - their basic operation is highly criminal - why do we perceive them as heroes.

Well a lot to think about. I'm not yet decided. So I will add thoughts as debate goes on.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

baz786 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
wow excellent synopsis sarina

i havent seen the movie but heard of it
will watch n post properly then
debayon thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
No, what they did was evil. You can't kill people in the name of 'God', why did 'God' come and whisper in your ear that all criminals are to be killed? Bloody hell. Superman and Batman are certainly vigilantes, but they work with humankind by destroying evils of society, not by killing man himself. Besides, even if they did so, remember they were only made to suit the mentality of a kid.
Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: debayon

No, what they did was evil. You can't kill people in the name of 'God', why did 'God' come and whisper in your ear that all criminals are to be killed? Bloody hell. Superman and Batman are certainly vigilantes, but they work with humankind by destroying evils of society, not by killing man himself. Besides, even if they did so, remember they were only made to suit the mentality of a kid.

What you are saying is that if you are not a MOD do not issue warnings.πŸ˜†
chal_phek_mat thumbnail

Hollywood remaking bollywood moviesπŸ˜‰

Summer3 thumbnail
Originally posted by: chal_phek_mat

Hollywood remaking bollywood moviesπŸ˜‰

All the woods are the same making a mountain out of a mole hill.
But when the country fails someone has to do something.

If an Afghan citizen kills Ozama and his merry Talibans I am sure he is a great hero.πŸ˜†
Star_on_earth thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
atleast their intention was good...

i m not sure if what they did was right...but atleast they did something..right or wrong they tried on their part to end crime.

Summer3 thumbnail
Originally posted by: Star_on_earth

atleast their intention was good...

i m not sure if what they did was right...but atleast they did something..right or wrong they tried on their part to end crime.

Well said Starry ji.😊
Star_on_earth thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: Summer3

Well said Starry ji.😊

thank u 😊
Too bad, all my thoughts have gone out of my head. But I will try getting my hands on a few of the questions you raised, if not all.

I think I have discussed something similar on the HP section a while back ~ moral inconsistencies in HP. It was quite an interesting and thought-provoking discussion, and discusses many of the question you raised (pertaining HP), though we could not reach any conclusions regarding many of the points raised. (Keep it in mind that I had a totally different POV back then - as if the continuous changes in my thought-process needs to be said).

Some more foods for thoughts: What matters, the intention, the action, or the outcome of the action a person does/commits? When a person kills another person in cold-blood, and we take the killer as a criminal, do we look at the intention he had in his mind while killing, or the action he committed, or the impact of the action in the world - when labeling him as a criminal? Take the case of a police, a freedom fighter, and terrorist - for all the three, we take into account their intention (and to some extent, the outcome/impact of their action), when labeling them as Saint or Devil, yet how do we draw the line into a noble intention, and a wicked one? For all we know, for a terrorist, his intention is 'noble' - but so is the intention of a freedom fighter; do then, ones intention have to be universally noble, and if one objective truth exists, and furthermore, if morality is objective to begin with. How about utilitarianism - where the moral worth of an action is determined by its outcome. There is a whole lot  of discussion that can stem from the concept, utilization and criticisms of utilitarianism morality.

Well, not really related with the topic at hand, but can come in handy, when answering the questions you raised. I was actually thinking of post a topic on the nature of crime and justice for the longest time I can remember, but then I saw this, and posted it here.
Edited by PhoeniXof_Hades - 14 years ago