Kurbaan's unexpected failure sends saif scrambling

desigal90 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 14 years ago

Wake-up call

The unexpected failure of Kurbaan has Saif Ali Khan scrambling to start Agent Vinod - his only film on hand

By Subhash K Jha
Posted On Thursday, January 07, 2010 at 02:57:40 AM

It takes just one dud at the box office to change everything. Well almost. After Saif Ali Khan's first home production Love Aaj Kal hit bull's eye, Saif decided to take it easy. "Saif went completely underground after Love Aaj Kal and refused to sign any more films," says a source. "He found the offers either mediocre or the roles not central to the plot. He was sure the right projects would come along, otherwise he was ready to wait it out for his next home production."

Even though Saif's second home production, the expensive and ambitious espionage drama Agent Vinod repeatedly got delayed, Saif was unperturbed. He had Kurbaan coming up. He was a hundred percent sure that Kurbaan would hit bull's eye, what with it being  a Karan Johar production and co-starring his real-life love Kareena Kapoor.

The shocking failure of Kurbaan (co-producers UTV absorbed a loss of nearly Rs 30 crore) left Saif stunned. Says a source, "Saif had no projects on hand. His favourite directors Siddharth Anand and Imtiaz Ali had moved on to Ranbir Kapoor. Saif's home production Agent Vinod showed no signs of taking off. So far he had been laidback about starting Agent Vinod, but after the failure of Kurbaan, he hit the panic button."

Suddenly things have started moving at lightening speed. Director Sriram Raghavan was asked to get the script in place, pronto. Kareena, who was busy wrapping up Stepmom with Karan Johar and on the verge of signing a new film with 3 Idiots co-star Aamir Khan was asked to make herself free.

Agent Vinod is finally ready to take off in March. It's Saif's only film on hand, a home production and therefore a matter of double concern for the actor who has a point to prove at the box-office.

Confirmed director Sriram Raghavan, "We start shooting March. We'll first shoot for a few days in Mumbai followed by a schedule in Morocco." Hopefully the effort and budget will pay off for Saif.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

desigal90 thumbnail
That's right pataudi! Get on AV you lazy bum! ANd whilie ur at it, get a haircut and shave on teh way!

And oooohh, kareena singing a new film with Aamir!
So next year she has a film with kajol, one with srk, one with aamir, and one with saifu. Oh and golmaal 3 (blah)
Yupeeee
-Divyaa- thumbnail
Hmm Wake up call for saif Indeed!
But I'm very positive about AV.I don't think Shriram would disappoint.I Think It's going to be a very sleek and edgy film.
Eekssss can't wait for this one.Raghavan brothers Rock! LOL
and don't worry desu I don't think desi james bond type ka character will sport that hairy face.he's definitely going to shave.Edited by -Divyaa- - 14 years ago
-Divyaa- thumbnail
Oh yaa Heard from shekar on twitter that a superb dance track has been cracked for RA-1 I can already imagine srk and bebo grooving to that! yay
desigal90 thumbnail
HEHE DIV!
I know yaar, sriram is so good at thrillers!
Hahah! I know Agent VInod si supposed to be slick and sexy, not overgrown hair and beard!

Hey kareena's signing a movie with Aamir! Woah which one?
Zareena thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
I don't understand how saif accepted the role in Kurbaan? Why? I hated his character, didn't he researched? Okay yeah there are people like he protrayed in the movie but why promoting such a role where people would hate your character? I was so disappointed.
desigal90 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Zareena

I don't understand how saif accepted the role in Kurbaan? Why? I hated his character, didn't he researched? Okay yeah there are people like he protrayed in the movie but why promoting such a role where people would hate your character? I was so disappointed.

Saif said he wanted to play the anti-hero, someone sinister, and someone who could upset an audience with a suave sophisticated demeanor. It was a challenging role, the script let him down.

Btw, this iswhat agent vinod SHOULD look like. Short hair saif,short hair!

😳
-Divyaa- thumbnail
Hey desu!
aren't you excited about the dance track from RA-1
I love srk-bebo pairingEdited by -Divyaa- - 14 years ago
anku- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
LOL....After the high expectations and promos, it wud send a shock to anyone..!
desigal90 thumbnail

Originally posted by: -Divyaa-

Hey desu!
aren't you excited about the dance track from RA-1
I love srk-bebo pairing

Div its hte movie that scares me at the moment yaar!
But for bebo, she'sll be fine.
She has Stepmom remake next year followed by a Srk movie...which tneds to work, then AV, and then golmaal 3 😆