Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

desigal90 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 14 years ago

But they have a certian ROLE int eh film.

A DIRECTOr, a PRODUCER, and ACTRESS! They are DIRECTLY in contact with the MAKING of the film. Just like the cameraman, they are all CREATIVLEY involved int eh making. I didnt see Chetan in teh making of the film.
From what i know, even JK rowling would drop by on teh sets of HP and was involved in that sense.
Comparing KAREENA to Bhagat is just a false analogy. You cant ocmpare an ACTRESS IN A FILM, to someone who wrote a BOOK that INSPIRED the SCRIPTWRITERS of a film.
TheRowdiest thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: desigal90

But they have a certian ROLE int eh film.

A DIRECTOr, a PRODUCER, and ACTRESS! They are DIRECTLY in contact with the MAKING of the film. Just like the cameraman, they are all CREATIVLEY involved int eh making. I didnt see Chetan in teh making of the film.

From what i know, even JK rowling would drop by on teh sets of HP and was involved in that sense.

Comparing KAREENA to Bhagat is just a false analogy. You cant ocmpare an ACTRESS IN A FILM, to someone who wrote a BOOK that INSPIRED the SCRIPTWRITERS of a film.

u r not getting my point...i said what wld be ur take if kareena's name wld have come at the end when she was in the movie only for 30 mints .....and see u r upset and urging why her name sld be in the initial credits

same they took CB's story, whole movie was based on his book so just like the star cast , producers and directors he also deserved the Initial credit....Simple.....just bcz he didnt contributed into this movie's creativity Does not mean u have right to call his Story ur own, not to forget his creativity to write the story .....movie is hit bcz of its story which is based on CB's book....simple as that....and what was the big deal to put his name in intial credits?Edited by minnie.reet - 14 years ago
sabrinaa. thumbnail
same they took CB's story, whole movie was based on his book so just like the star cast , producers and directors he also deserved the Initial credit....Simple.....just bcz he didnt contributed into this movie's creativity Does not mean u have right to call his Story ur own, not to forget his creativity to write the story .....movie is hit bcz of its story which is based on CB's book....simple as that....and what was the big deal to put his name in intial credits?

^ I agree with her. No matter what, the story was his and he wasn't given the proper credit he deserved. Sure there were a few differences, but even more similarities. Changing a few things around in the movie doesn't mean the script writer should get the credit for the story. As CB himself said, he came up with the story, and the script writer just scipted it. Whatever his name is.
lovanika thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Oh for me Chetan Bhagat is a publicity and some moolah seeking guy.

WHY?

Just read the aggreement that he signed with Vindu. It clearly said that the concept of the movie is taken from my book, I will be paid 1 lakh signing amount and 10 lakh more IF the movie becomes a hit, my name will appear in the rolling credits of the movie....

So why this hoo haah now...just becasue the movie is minting money and he wants to get wet too.

He can cry about it and shout about it but HE SIGNED THE CONTRACT....

Why didn't he fight then..maybe he wasn't sure baout his book then but now he wants more people to read the book as the movie is hit.

This is just a publicity stunt. I am normally with the writers and their rights but I am not with Chetan on this. He is playing the audience an dmedia now to reap benefits. He should have not SIGNED on the dotted line.

I do nt think any court can help him out on this...Vindu is correct...
Edited by lovanika - 14 years ago
I have a very low opinion of CB as a writer. And this to me sounds like him trying to get publicity since he already had an arrangement with the producers. He said now that he never read the script and found that it had more similarities to the book than he was aware of - maybe he shouldn't have signed that agreement then without making sure that he would be shown the script. Perhaps CB was intentionally mislead and then he might have a case, but he did sign that agreement.

BTW does anyone remember/know how Vikas Swarup was credited in Slumdog Millionaire since the movie is also based on his book?
-Siddhi. thumbnail
[QUOTE=nandinidev]Here's the link to the video...seems quite unfortunate, as Aamir says himself...

I haven't read the book myself...anyone around here who has, and has watched the movie too? Could help shed some light for me...๐Ÿ˜Š

Cheers!

Hi Nandini,

I am pasting my previous post i wrote on one of these topics. I have the read the book and also watched the film.

Coming to the controversy, I definitely feel CB should be given the opening credit. There  r a lot of similarities between the book and the film. I have read the book TWICE. To begin with, aamir's character rancho is totally ryan oberoi (in the book) except that ryan is poor in scoring marks. they had to make rancho the topper to justify his life that he lived before college. then Maddy is the narrator and so is hari in the book. he should have got  the girl and not sharman (somebody mentioned it in one of the posts). Since aamir is the  hero obviously he would get the girl in the film.

Then the other guy in the book alok makes a suicide attempt and yes sharman too does it. and kareena's bro commits suicide which everyone mistakes for an accident and so does neha's bro (in the book) and yes for the exact reason mentioned in the film. and lot of scenes r taken   from the book like  sharman being poor, dad being ill, unmarried sis and maddy having no voice in front of his dad etc etc.

I am not saying that the film is the exact replica of the book but come on at the end of the day , its almost his story. How can someone take the essence and claim it to  be their own and give CB credit at the end where nobody notices. where is it gonna hurt them by just saying "inspired by 5pt someone" at the beginning. I am disappointed with the team.

The accusation on CB is just pointless. But hey great publicity for 3 idiots๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

PS: sorry for the loooong post :)
Guy passing by - Name X
Guy who says hi - Name Y
Friend of friend - Name Z
Based on Novel by - Chetan Bhagat.

THAT's how he was credited! All the way at the end, after all the smaller contributions...who wouldn't be pissed?
sabrinaa. thumbnail
And let's be real, most of us start gettgin up and reay to exit the theater right when the ending credits start rolling. And to top it off, all the way in the last group? I would've sued.
-Siddhi. thumbnail
[QUOTE=sabrinaa.]And let's be real, most of us start gettgin up and reay to exit the theater right when the ending credits start rolling. And to top it off, all the way in the last group? I would've sued.

@bold: Exactly..nobody would notice that. As a writer, anyone would feel insulted if their name came in the rolling credits. I am not an ardent  fan of CB  but i do feel sorry for him for being  labeled cheap and hungry for publicity. COme on that guy is an IIT and IIM-A graduate. I am sure he has better things to do rather than gaining such attention.
bips thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 8
Its a sad state of affairs on how bollywood works .....  no one gives a second thought about ripping off books, other movies, songs, stories etc etc .....

Its his book .... THE END .... thats the biggest contribution he could make creatively to the movie .... any decent movie that is based on a book has to adapt it, make changes keeping in mind that it is a different medium, but that doesn't take away from the writer al all ....

All over the world, books are adapted into movies. Sometimes the authors are part of the screenplay team, sometimes they are not but nowhere do they say that the movie is "inspired" by the book. that is just plain crap. It is always "based on"

It shows our approach to movies when we think that an actor/actress with a two bit role is more important and integral to the film rather than the book on which the entire movie rests.

As for amir khan, i have no faith in him after he stole the credit for directing taare zameen par. It was the worst kept secret that amir took the credit for directing the film and relegated amol gupte to a creative assistant or something of that sort. i remember ritesh deshmukh actually doing a skit on it in the IIFA. So i have no hope of him standing up for what is right

it is chetan's book and he deserves all the credit and more.