Debate Mansion

Synchronization Theory (McClintock Effect)

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 14 years ago
Alright, after a long deliberation I choose to finally dare to make this topic on DM. It has been really way to tame for my tastes. Besides someone special told me a while back that I ought to stop caring and go for it.

Diving into the topic. I am not sure how many of you are familiar with the McClintock effect and other similar synchronization theories. Synchronization has always fascinated me. In my opinion synchronization does occur, and its quite baffling. This will sound bizarre, but although not a medical student its a personal lifetime thesis for me to study and explain synchronization.

By now some of you must be wondering what the heck am I talking about. This would be a good time to inform you that while this topic is by no means exclusive or restricted its more geared towards all my sisters out there. Boys might want to keep out as it involves PMS or Private message sex as I call it. So hopefully, by now it is evident that I am referring to the female menstrual cycle, and it goes without saying - everyone please be mature, respectful and well behaved. 

The common dormitory effect

While not a scientifically proven or explained theory. Common knowledge states that women who live together synchronize their cycles. Records of ancient times when there were practices such as red tents state how the village would sometimes be empty of women as they all were in the red tent. The McClintock effect is named after as study by Martha McClintock that claimed to have studied and established this phenomenon. Popularly, it is known as the dormitory effect as women in dorms, prisons, bordellos tend to get synchronized over time. In families women tend to synchronize often following each other like clockwork.

Do you feel the synchronization effect exists? Have you experienced synchronization with family, roommates, dorm mates etc? Have you heard of other people claiming to experience the synchronization effect? Or do you find synchronization is a myth? Do you think there is a good rational explanation for this phenomenon if it exists? If so is it phermones or other body chemicals? Is it similar to mammalian cycles based on going into heat? Or is this an inexplicable phenomenon?

Lunaception

Another theory thrown out is based on lunar synchronization. Since the female cycle is 28 days, some theorists propose that the moon causes synchronization. Menstruation itself comes from the latin word menses for moon. Many old wives tales advice women to plan pregnancies based on the lunar cycle. Although this theory never explains what phase of the female cycle is to sync with the lunar cycle.

What do you think of lunar synchronization? Have you ever observed or heard anyone claim lunar synchronization? Does the full moon make us women go cuckoo or turn into beasts? 😆

Placebos and Medications:

Some state that since most women nowadays take birth control or hormonal medications the synchronization effect is caused by medications. However, those on birth control are often like clockwork. Unlike non pill taking women who may be a few days off or early, those who take birth control pills experience perfect clockwork unless they miss doses or go off it. So if two women on birth control have different dates, they will never sync.

My personal opinion is that since birth control is a foreign introduction, it is an anomaly in the process. The person who is taking the pills will never sync with others nor will the others start syncing with them. This will always be the person in the dorm or in the family who is off sync.

What effects of birth control have you experienced or heard of regarding the cycle? How did it impact existing synchronization? Did it form new synchronizations?

This is a long shot - has anyone been in a birth control study and taken placebos. Any insight on a placebo effect?

Virtual Synchronization:

This is my personal theory. I feel that synchronization and the cycle is not purely biological but an emotional cycle too. Women have the tendency to merge and connect wave lengths emotionally. Hence, even women who are not living together will synchronize their cycles based on emotional wave lengths and cycles. I've noticed sisters, moms and daughters and best friends synchronize even when they live miles away. Another phenomenon I personally have noticed that virtual BFF or women who are close to each other online through chatting, gaming groups, forums etc do tend to synchronize. I was once surprised when three people who I was in touch with online frequently, were on the same dates. 

Do you think women experience emotional cycles or share emotional wavelengths? What do you think of virtual synchroniztion? Do you think women can synchronize emotionally? Have you experienced or heard of synchronization with anyone long distance? Do you have virtual friends and BFF's who are synchronized or have you heard from someone who claimed to be synchronized with online friends? Try asking around your closest online friends and see if you are surprisingly synchronized.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Sorry could not help peeping at the topic.

Interesting theory. There is nothing much guys can say.

I quote:

Conclusion

It is interesting to note that many of the arguments against menstrual synchrony come from men, while research supporting the phenomenon is often conducted by women. There is evidence from both human and animal studies supporting the health claim. However, there are also a number of fair criticisms of this research. So no one can claim to have the last word on this one! Period.

Summerji, no problem. As I said its not an exclusive topic. But some guys here turn red or get confused at what PMS is. I thing guys can also have input too, after all they to do have wives, moms, sisters, female friends. Especially guys in biology and medical related fields may have technical insight too.
The thread seems to be more anecdotal than a debate topic. 

I think I am synchronizing with Ajnu when it comes to procrastinating studies😆
Originally posted by: Gauri_3

The thread seems to be more anecdotal than a debate topic. 

There is actually much to debate on the thesis, whether such synchronization exists, why or why not. However, desi audiences seem to be gun shy of the subject. 😆 When I conduct my research with random people I meet, some of them chatter at length including information that I don't want like how sexual activity affects synchronization and the cycle.

I think I am synchronizing with Ajnu when it comes to procrastinating studies😆

I think both of you take too much comfort in knowing you are not the only procrastinators. In that sense I have synchronized even further. I have been procrastinating signing up for GMAT itself so that I do not have to study. Sometimes I wonder if I should just sign up and then as the day approaches I might get freaked out into submissive studies. But I've been known to show up at exams and not know what subject I am writing a paper on.  😆

karandel_2008 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
I also know something about it:

Some yrs ago my friend told me that they went for a trip and there were 2 rooms shared by many gals. She was lucky to be in the 1st room because in a few days all the gals in the 2nd room had it.
Edited by karandel_2008 - 14 years ago
Originally posted by: karandel_2008

I also know something about it:

Some yrs ago my friend told me that they went for a trip and there were 2 rooms shared by many gals. She was lucky to be in the 1st room because in a few days all the gals in the 2nd room had it.

Had WHAT, Karan😛  Spell it out, dude😆
I believe that some female pheromones are stronger than others.  These females usually are the leaders while others follow them.  I have an equally headstrong friend who lives in Dubai and our cycles ALWAYS start at the exact same day!  My daughter usually follows me so there's a lag of about one day.
karandel_2008 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Gauri_3

Had WHAT, Karan😛  Spell it out, dude😆

Never saw someone saying "PMS" before I came to forums. Though I know that gals say that they are "down".

Originally posted by: karandel_2008

Never saw someone saying "PMS" before I came to forums. Though I know that gals say that they are "down".

This is why PMing for sending PMs here at IF cracks me up big time😆  It sounds like I have PM(s) every single day😆 Heck, even our guys get PM(s) here 😛 

Yes, "down" is another term used by pretty much all across the globe.
Edited by Gauri_3 - 14 years ago