Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 14 years ago
Originally posted by: return_to_hades

If my userid did not state that well enough.

Don't worry, I was referring to the others.😉
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Originally posted by: angie.4u

Greek mythology is pretty interesting too 😛 but it remains a mythology . Dont think anyone  has claimed it to be history

That is not exactly true. The Pantheon maybe purely mythical, but many of the humans in these tales did exist.

Take the Illiad and Odyssey, considered to be the greatest classic poem of Greek mythology. In fact the Homeric epic has been compared by many myth and literature scholars to be equal or second to the Mahabharat in epic poetry. The story is filled with Gods, Goddesses and larger than life feats. For many years historians took it to be myth. However, the fact is that Hector, Paris, Helen, Achilles, Ajax. Odysseus, Priam, Menelaus, Agamemnon, Cassandra, Penelope, Telemachus - each and everyone was a real person. Was Achilles really the son of Zeus and invincible except for his heel? Was Cassandra really cursed by Apollo? Did Aphrodite betray Troy due to her jealousy towards Helen? That is the myth, but the people were very much real.

The same goes for many famous characters in Greek plays and mythos - Aenas, Orestes, Elektra, Oedipus. Real people.

Besides had you suggested Zeus and Hera and the wonderful family to be a bunch of bull before the first council of Nicaea, you would have died in a lynch mob just like the early Jews. Actually most people are unaware that Constantine I belonged to a cult of Apollo and actually early western monotheism was fashioned based on sun worship. Constantine I used the church purely politically to consolidate the Roman Empire.
nuomi.riceball thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: return_to_hades

If my userid did not state that well enough.

😆
😆 i'm a fan of greeks myth too
Edited by rongna - 14 years ago
_Angie_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
I guess history & mythology often gets hopelessly interwined ! if only we had something like a CCTV to record all events past or future.....