September Classical Music Month Contest 1

ramas thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago

September is a  month of classical music.  What will be classical music without Raags?

**** Informations Regarding Raags****

Total number of raags in Hindustani classical music was beleived to be 300. But most  of them are  lost over the centuries. Around  100 raags are known and performed in present times.  The  classification of most raags in thaats is universally accepted, opinions are still  vary among the experts for some raags. The same is also  true about performance times of some raags.

***Contest***
 We begin with very simple contest.
 Name 10 Raags, their classification in Thaat and  their performance time.

Example of thaat will be todi, kafi, kalyan etc.
Example of performance time can be morning, afternoon, evening etc.
Pm your answers to "crazycreative"
by September 23rd.
subject "Classical Music Contest 1"

All the best. Enjoy.😊
Another fun contest is on the way before the month ends.

Edited by ramas - 14 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ramas thumbnail
What are you waiting for  friends? plz start sending your entries. as we do not have much time. It may be hard for those who do not have much info regarding classical music but hey there is help call goggle chacha try it and you will find all .😊 Contest is mostly posted to make today's generation aware of those raag ragini's  and how grand and scientific  our music is .Edited by ramas - 14 years ago
pams309 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
What is thaat?? plzz explain...
OodlesDoodles thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
great contest raksha...i do know some on the top of my head but will need to ask google uncle to help out ...will try to send it in
Roshni. thumbnail

Wonderful Contest  Di...

Will surely try and participate!😃
Firstly 👏 for posting it !
Yes, we Indians should keep ourselves about Classical Music too. Its the heritage of India. Keep Rocking !!!!
ramas thumbnail

Originally posted by: pams309

What is thaat?? plzz explain...

Thaat are musical scale or framwork
    A Thaat must have seven notes out of the twelve notes [Seven Shuddha, Four komal (Re, Ga, Dha , Ni), one teevra (Ma) ], placed in an ascending order. Both the forms of the notes can be used. Thaat has only an Aaroha. Thaats are not sung but the raags produced from the Thaats are sung. Thaats are named after the popular raag of that Thaat. For example Bhairavi is a popular raag and the thaat of the raag Bhairavi is named after the raag.
  1.  for more info go to

http://www.swarganga.org/articles/icmconcepts/icm5.php

I hope that helps.Edited by ramas - 14 years ago
Ishan. thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 8
Yeah there are many raags . But i know only a few of their names. I dont know their thaat and when they are performed.

Actually was knowing it when i used to play harmonium . But as time passed i have lost in touch with my harmonium as well as raags !!! lol

ROFLOL thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Ahan! perfect contest for a classical music student like me lol ! Am gonna send my entry soon..
bobbiedhillon thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Hmm,  Raksha di,

What a great idea?  I will send my entry too.  Something I actually know.