IMPORTANT: Few important changes to fight Spam - Page 4

Posted: 14 years ago
Originally posted by xtaurus429x

That is a very great idea! I fully agree with you....Im not going to lie..unintentially it has been but I think i do the same..its a great idea in my point of view..

But can i suggest you lower the character amount to about 50...only because if someone want to say something , thats short simple, and to the point...but it has to be said..and isnt 150 characters...then..they would have to right more even if doesnt make sense..just for it to be posted..right?

If you lower the character about to maybe 50-60..I think it would be better..

But thats just an opinion..and I thought I was allowed to have a say..so I said this..if not its cool..whatever you guys decide is best!

Great idea though! Personally I even make this mistake..its not on purpose..it just happens...Im sorry!!!!!!

Do implement this feature..its smart!

oh yes... that i completely agree with...

because for some games and some other posts, 150 characters can be a bit too much... and that would mean we can't discuss properly and write useless nonsense... it'll sure kill the fun of posting here on IF...

there should be limitations but yes, i agree 150 seems a bit too much... thanks for sharing, that's about 18 characters... so it should be more than 20 characters for sure but 150 is a bit too high...

i would recommend around 40-50....!!

also, it's going to pose a bit of a problem when we are playing games... which is usually part of almost every section... πŸ˜•
Right, it's hard to have 150 characters for a game and such. I see your point Priya di, but why not like 10 or 20 characters minimum?
Originally posted by Gur.N.cool

150 characters are too much.
sometimes we are playing games which require only one or two words.

The 150 rule should only apply to members who are tagged by the dev team as spammers.

Yes I agree .. it chouldnt apply to everyone..
Originally posted by _angel_

I am really sorry to say this BUT this is not a good idea in any way....

I mean come on let ppl do/say what they want and feels like without being scared of u ppl,  just because u guys are the one in power does not mean u should keep telling ppl what they can and can not do all the time......

sometimes I feel like I'm back in my mom and dad's house and being told whom to be friends with and whom not to.

please when u r all busy make Rules for members do think about what will make dem happy/what will make dem keep coming to India-forum and try not to make dem feel like are back at school once again with tons of Rules........

thank u very much if u care to see my point and if not well I did try.

and good luck with whatever u all come up with in ur Rules Rule's world...

Angel.

Hi Angel

We are not trying to make u unhappy neither are we rulers😳.Nor is our intent to make anyone want  scared of usπŸ˜‰  We are all just members just like you but with an additional responsibility of making this place fun for all. Rules are in place so that everyone can have a pleasant experience here.Parents also make rules for your benefit and like unless you are in the same shoes sometimes its difficult to see the big picture.Being a part of the dev team we hear different troubles that the members experience and our aim is to help to solve that. This may have not been an issue that you have experienced so this may sound like something we are imposing in your mind .

This is a problem in a lot of active forums  You do not get to see anything after the updates are posted but just thanks. We are totally for that hence we have given u a quicker and easier way to do that. Instead of using that tool and just for the case of getting post counts and to reach different levels people spam and that means the real discussion material get pushed back..Members who want to have a discussion have to go through pages to see the thoughts of people.

We have never stopped you from voicing your opinion. I did mention that this is what we can come up as a solution but if you have a better one for the members let us know. Everyone comes up with problems but when we give them solutions then we get named as rulers. We are giving you a chance to tell us if this does not work what does so let us know .

Yup, like Roshni and Gur said above, it should only apply to members tagged by the Dev. Team. Or maybe members who have been warned for not having constructive topics and such.

Originally posted by priya.nair

Hi Angel

We are not trying to make u unhappy neither are we rulers😳.Nor is our intent to make anyone want  scared of usπŸ˜‰  We are all just members just like you but with an additional responsibility of making this place fun for all. Rules are in place so that everyone can have a pleasant experience here.Parents also make rules for your benefit and like unless you are in the same shoes sometimes its difficult to see the big picture.Being a part of the dev team we hear different troubles that the members experience and our aim is to help to solve that. This may have not been an issue that you have experienced so this may sound like something we are imposing in your mind .

This is a problem in a lot of active forums  You do not get to see anything after the updates are posted but just thanks. We are totally for that hence we have given u a quicker and easier way to do that. Instead of using that tool and just for the case of getting post counts and to reach different levels people spam and that means the real discussion material get pushed back..Members who want to have a discussion have to go through pages to see the thoughts of people.

We have never stopped you from voicing your opinion. I did mention that this is what we can come up as a solution but if you have a better one for the members let us know. Everyone comes up with problems but when we give them solutions then we get named as rulers. We are giving you a chance to tell us if this does not work what does so let us know .

hey priya... good to see you...

i think the 150 characters limit is a bit high... because like roxthefox mentioned, people are going to start wrirting stupid things just to meet the restrictions...

yes, it would help because it would discourage spam posts but it would also discourage a lot of other members from contributing...

a simple 'thank you for sharing' is about 18 characters... see.... i can understand your point that you have to keep the forum clean and it gets frustrating... but i think it's also important to not limit it too much that it becomes hard for members to contribute...

imo, a limitation of around 30-40 characters should be good... because sometimes you want to comment on something that does not require you to debate... 😊
Hey Priya!

yeah...soo basically in brief:

Overall the characters should be 30-40 like Pksanam said..and/or it should only apply to those tagged as spammers by the DT...
Let me first put my point here that I quoted your post to answer it point wise...

If I just quote your post..it autom atically beats the "150 word mark" even if I just say TFS rite! That was just a clarification

How many of you are frustrated with people just typing one word or emotions on their post. We have repeatedly told people to not just tfs,thanks, thanks for posting but we don't see any improvement. There is not really any substance to their topics but they have lots of posts to their credits. And they eat up several pages and you have to go through so many pages to actually see content.
Ah well.. I also have an issue with too many mod stickies in page 1 that I cant see any member posts at all... I agree with the too many tfs posts but more than that there are some posts that have a total emoticon abuse!

Its not like we don't want the "Thanks" as that is the appreciation the coolbies and viewbies need to be motivated  So please continue to appreciate the hardwork by using the "LIKE" button . Alongside with that we really want to encourage discussion.  This is after all a discussion forum and not just for updates and videos. We want to encourage you to to talk about what is really that you mind, about the show and to maybe also get others to be pumped up to get a good enjoyable discussion.
LOL the like button usage for viewbies can be directly seen when checked at the hall of FameπŸ˜› I would like to bring to your attention that some forums are already over crowded with more and more rules that sarcasm and humor is getting restricted.. I can understand sarcasm to a certain point if not completely..but humor no no! I would like to especially bring to focus some of the active forums where criticism is strongly restricted!

So we are thinking of implementing a feature that wont allow any posts which is less then 150 characters minimum when they post. Our intention is not to get you to stop posting but just to eliminate spammers who makes +1 post to increase their post count and which pushes useful posts several pages down and one has to dig them out. So our attempt is to make useful posts available upfront instead of going through several pages of +1 posts.MY question again! if i quote your long posts I automatically beat the 150 word mark. DOes it serve a purpose? also sometimes video updaters may just post the link so how do we work around the rule?

We are also going to be implementing a way which empowers are dev team to tag a member as spammer who inspite of being warned repeatedly keeps on spamming the forum. It would imply you cannot make to our "HALL OF FAME". So please next time make sure you click the "LIKE" button and type your thoughts in the comments.

We would like to have your thoughts about this and whether you think this is a good idea. Also what other suggestions you have. Maybe if we get a better suggestion we could go with that. So please voice your opinions and feedback.

Happy Discussing..

WHile I agree that adding rules is essential to maintain the decorum of the forum, the amount and the level of rules must not restrict the whole basis of discussion itself. The forum rules should not restrict the ability to have a decent discussion and piling rules doesnt seem to serve the purpose! If you are adding more rules, the balance of free discussion must be entertained.

I can give in several examples to corrobrate the same. WHile I agree spamming is not the best way to go about doing things, the forum needs to be more accomodative.

ANother point I want to bring in here is the abuse of the "Report " button by members and random stalking of a group of members by another group all over the forum. Can anything be done to avoid members being stalked in I-F?

Thanks for posting this. THis is the first time I am posting here and I hope to understand better the way I-F functions!

EDIT:
Adding:
For example people posting their creations or avis dont really type much at times.. so this also gets labelled as spam if the 150word limit is made... or am I wrong?

Edited by carolinecj - 14 years ago

How many of you are frustrated with people just typing one word or emotions on their post. We have repeatedly told people to not just tfs,thanks, thanks for posting but we don't see any improvement. There is not really any substance to their topics but they have lots of posts to their credits. And they eat up several pages and you have to go through so many pages to actually see content. I'm not frustrated about people saying 'Yes', No', 'Live!', 'Die' etc. Sometimes it's quite appropriate to use one emoticon or word as a reply. It's like... "You say it best, when you say (almost) nothing at all"! There are moments like that you know.... 😳 I didn't understand the "There is not really any substance to their topics but they have lots of posts to their credits" part. IMHO, you need to rephrase that 😳    

Its not like we don't want the "Thanks" as that is the appreciation the coolbies and viewbies need to be motivated  So please continue to appreciate the hardwork by using the "LIKE" button . Alongside with that we really want to encourage discussion.  This is after all a discussion forum and not just for updates and videos. We want to encourage you to to talk about what is really that you mind, about the show and to maybe also get others to be pumped up to get a good enjoyable discussion. It's great to know that you want to encourage discussions. Another way of doing it would be to allow 'constructive criticism'. If I tried to talk about what's on my mind, I'm sure my topics won't survive very long... unless I was praising the creatives of certain shows even when the show..... ermm.... sucks!

So we are thinking of implementing a feature that wont allow any posts which is less then 150 characters minimum when they post. Our intention is not to get you to stop posting but just to eliminate spammers who makes +1 post to increase their post count and which pushes useful posts several pages down and one has to dig them out. So our attempt is to make useful posts available upfront instead of going through several pages of +1 posts. Regardless of what your intention is, it's the craziest thing I've ever heard  πŸ˜† You can't expect people to write 150-character essays every time!!! 😲 Please try doing it yourself for a day and you'll know what I'm talking about.   I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude. 😳

We are also going to be implementing a way which empowers are dev team to tag a member as spammer who inspite of being warned repeatedly keeps on spamming the forum. It would imply you cannot make to our "HALL OF FAME". So please next time make sure you click the "LIKE" button and type your thoughts in the comments. Yeah,  do tag the spammers!!!... why not? The Hall of Fame is great! Thanks to all the people who thought of and implemented that! πŸ‘πŸΌ I will try to click the LIKE button when appropriate, and it would be great to have a dislike button. It's not for spreading negativity, but just to show that I'm a real person who is able to 'Like' and 'Dislike'. I'm really looking forward to the 'Dislike' button. Thanks in advance! πŸ‘πŸΌ And btw, I always "Type My Thoughts" in the comments. I believe everyone does! πŸ˜Š

We would like to have your thoughts about this and whether you think this is a good idea. Also what other suggestions you have. Maybe if we get a better suggestion we could go with that. So please voice your opinions and feedback. There you go! I have voiced my opinion. My approach is always direct, and I think it's better to say what's on my mind than saying "It's a great idea!" when I think it isn't 😳 But as always, hats off to the Dev Team for sharing ideas with us. I must say that the features introduced in the past few months are awesome!! Peace! πŸ€—

Happy Discussing..   * Happy Feet Tap Dance * lolz I'm always so hyper 😳
Edited by stingray - 14 years ago
Amazing post, Caro, and I wholeheartedly agree. There are a lot of loopholes within this new idea, andi t's going to be difficult to work around if. If anything, the DEV team should be working to tackle important issues that are tarnishing the environment of IF and the real cause of why substantial discussions aren't flourishing.

This is a DISCUSSION forum, for crissakes! It's bad enough that we're so restricted that we have to think twice before using the word 'hate' or risk the tomato pelt, or the DEV team running after us, that now we have to be told how to post, what to post and how much to post.

I'm here for discussions; not to be controlled.