•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 14 years ago
Best of Big B's Blog

Amitabh Bachchan has been diligent in writing his blog. His readers are amazed at the times of day when he posts (often very late or very early). But unlike most other stars, he has taken this seriously and has written consistently. Given his discipline, this is not surprising. He has also written well. He is very well-spoken in English and in Hindi, as we all know from his interviews on TV. And, of course, he has been raised by one of Hindi's great modern poets.

Everything that Big B writes is newsworthy, but here are our picks for the best moments from his blog, bigb.bigadda.com:

1. Amitabh Bachchan remembers Feroz Khan
London, UK April 27, 2009
Feroz Khan.. a gracious and warm hearted compassionate friend. A flamboyant film maker, one that, in the middle of his acting career, became a producer and director and gave us some very memorable films - all with a certain stamp of flamboyance.
Fardeen has always been a cultured and well-behaved young man. Shares a great rapport with Abhishek, and I shall never forget that when his first film was at its 'mahurat', he came across to seek our blessings. I have always wished him well, and may he now be strong to bear this immense loss.

2. On working with Ben Kingsley
London, UK April 23, 2009
It's been a joy to work with Sir Ben. Generous and polite, prepared and competent, and co-operative with every breath. It is no wonder then that we have finished what would have involved us all for several more days.

3. On Aishwarya's 'Manglik' issue
Jalsa, Mumbai April 5, 2009
THERE CAN BE NO EXCUSE NOR REASON FOR JUG SURAIYA TO ADDRESS MY DAUGHTER-IN-LAW, AISHWARYA, AS BEING A 'MANGLIK' - A CURSE THAT NEEDED TO BE REMOVED - ON A PUBLIC PLATFORM. JUG SURAIYA HAS WILLFULLY INDULGED IN AN ACT OF DISCRIMINATION AGAINST A WOMAN, DENIGRATED HER AND DENIED HER OF EQUAL RIGHT IN OUR SOCIETY. THIS IS AGAINST MY PERSONAL BELIEF AND THE BELIEF OF OUR CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT !!

4 Defending his stand on the Slumdog Issue
Prateeksha, Mumbai April 3, 2009
I accuse the journalist Jug Suraiya of failing his professional ethical code of conduct by means of wilful error in the collection of facts….He should be thoroughly ashamed of himself, not only as a professional journalist, but as a human being too. Mere opinion and ill-supported prejudice are contemptible in both species.
My Blog did not 'spark off the current round of controversy on India's poverty'… Nor am I ashamed of anything about my country. I may be highly critical in judgement, as any citizen of any nation should be, of the society to which I hold allegiance. In this light, I do not find that material poverty in India is 'a terrible family secret' as Jug Suraiya alleges.

4. On Aishwarya being awarded the Padma Shri
Mumbai, March 31, 2009
And now as I call off, I rush to be in time for the President's Award Ceremony at the Rashtrapati Bhavan, where Aishwarya will be decorated with the Padma Shri. A moment of great pride for all of us.
She will become the 5th Padma Award winner in our household. My father with the Padma Bhushan, the first; then the Padma Shri for me; followed again by the Padma Bhushan to me some years later; Jaya's Padma Shri; and now, Aishwarya's. This must be a record for the country. 5 Padma Awards in one family ! God has been very kind to us. The people of this land have been very kind to us.

6. Amitabh's actual quotes on Slumdog
Kanya Kumari, India February 10, 2009
Alright, really…so why should India embrace Slumdog Millionaire?
Is it for the new Indian stereotypes that it enforces, thereby advancing India from a land of the gurus, snake charmers and elephants to a land of call centers, slums and beggars?
So it seems that Danny Boyle has picked up and glorified every stereotype about India, sensationalized it and packaged it in a film, being now hailed as a tribute to Mumbai. Thus, on the world platform, the true hero and the winner of all the awards for Slumdog is the city of Mumbai, which, for the western audience, contains all the shock value required to set it apart from the clutter.
But, in India, Slumdog Millionaire if embraced, can only be a triumph of a hypocrisy that showers accolades on a film about Mumbai, that lacks its soul, typecasts its people and uses its style of film-making to emotionally tantalize the western audience.

7. Amitabh on his mothers' 1st death anniversay
Pune, Maharashtra December 22/23, 2008
I mentioned 'Amma' yesterday, because that is what I first started calling her. Well 'Amma ji' actually, as is our culture when we address elders and those whom we respect. Then, as we grew older, we started looking for shorter abbreviations and ended up with 'Ma'.
Is it not wonderful that in almost all the languages or dialects or modes of communication in the world, the word 'Ma' has always denoted the Mother. I would like to believe that that is the easiest and the first word that a child forms, when it begins to address an object that it is closest to. And so it must have remained through centuries and continues to remain.

8. Amitabh on the Mumbai attacks
Posted on: December 9, 2008
The horror of the Mumbai attack is still in our skins. Harsh and unforgiving. For 60 hrs, when you watch this carnage helplessly on a screen, it changes you for ever. The aftermath becomes even more unbearable. Accounts from those that survived, from those that could not. Investigations on the culprits and the trickle of the detailed information that keeps coming back.
What is it that makes them so barbaric. We are but humans, all of us. Does it never cross the mind of the perpetrator - the futility of this horrid exercise? Which kind of mind chooses to initiate such ruthlessness?
I read all kinds of versions and dissertations on the probability of this attack. The reason and justification of it and its consequences. Debates on the electronic, polls on the print, and some very frightening discoveries are made. Some of which you discuss with common company. Some which shall never see light of day.

9. Being admitted in Lilavati
Lilavati Hospital # 1101, Mumbai October 11 - 16, 2008
Lilavati - same room as Ma.. injections, pipes, no food, intra venous, family, friends and solitude…
These days are spent in hospital. In investigation and treatment and anxiety and sleepless nights and pain and…
So much more..
But now, the nurses exclaim at the time I spend in front of this screen and start pulling plugs out.
I shall fill in these days. Perhaps later, when I have the solitude of my convalescence..

10. On Jaya giving up her seat in parliament
Prateeksha, Mumbai April 28-29, 2008
Jaya walks out of Parliament as a demonstration of her right as an MP, in disagreement with proceedings in the august Sabha. Commentator on TV: "These 20 somethings, that believe History started when they were employed" adds her little bit of savvy … " and Mrs. Bachchan walks out in typical filmy style".
What is filmy style, pray ?
I shall tell you. Its a lot better than slogan shouting, fisticuffs flying, microphone ripping, female denuding, helium gassed black ballooning, well entering, other public representatives of our nation !!
Will the media coin a word for them and their actions please? For, I see them exhibiting their histrionics somewhat regularly on national TV !!
Or would you dare to call it 'filmy' ? And if you did, would you also kindly give a reference to the film in which you found this example ?

Link http://www.starboxoffice.com/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2009/May/News_20090505_21
love reading his blog...
dont know the exact time he posts...so always get late to reply...
OMG!!! What I would do to hear him say Fisticuffs out loud!!😆

I love AB As an actor but otherwise he seems rather pretentious...could just be me.