Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sareeta thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
Originally posted by: shellytt

I agree.

I agree too!! Snape's loathing of james was more to do with his own desire and wish to be as popular as him and the lack of the secure upbringing that James had! Several things added up and hte popularity that James enjoyed was something snape never had and not to forget , the woman he loved , loved James and not him even though she was his best friend!
In harry again, he saw the same kind of traits, he was popular and that is what made him jump to the conclusion that he was just as much of a brat as his father, although Harry himself had a childhood that Harry would have exchanged for a better treatment during his early years!

Its quite sad really, but well Snape could get over his dislike of James and Dumbledore sadly reminds him of it as well towards the end!

As for James treating Harry, although many of us would like to believe that he would have been extremely nice to him, he may not be, he may just chose not to taunt or get in the way, but just treat him as equally as the rest!
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Originally posted by: sareeta

I agree too!! Snape's loathing of james was more to do with his own desire and wish to be as popular as him and the lack of the secure upbringing that James had! Several things added up and hte popularity that James enjoyed was something snape never had and not to forget , the woman he loved , loved James and not him even though she was his best friend!
In harry again, he saw the same kind of traits, he was popular and that is what made him jump to the conclusion that he was just as much of a brat as his father, although Harry himself had a childhood that Harry would have exchanged for a better treatment during his early years!

Its quite sad really, but well Snape could get over his dislike of James and Dumbledore sadly reminds him of it as well towards the end!

As for James treating Harry, although many of us would like to believe that he would have been extremely nice to him, he may not be, he may just chose not to taunt or get in the way, but just treat him as equally as the rest!

Yea; most probably James wouldn't have been overly nice or sugary to Harry if he was Snape and Lily's child, but I think he would have treated him like everyone else. I don't think he would have singled him out from all his peers and made fun of him every chance he got. Because I think James was the kind of guy who would have remembered that Harry was Lily's son too, not only Snape's. Then again, James had a totally different upbringing from Snape's and his personality was totally different, so we can't really judge them like that I guess.
nuomi.riceball thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
definitely lily james. lily loved james and she only considered snape as her good friend. it was snape who was in love with lily.
AreYaar thumbnail

To answer the question: I'd choose James-Lilly too.

That said, Snape and James in some ways contributed equally to getting on each other's wrong side....In Book 5 in the Pensieve scene when James and Sirius pick on Snape with such relish....I thought it was uncalled for.....if one notices, THEY were the ones who went after him cuz they were bored enough and wanted someone to bully. Ofcourse, Snape had his shady connections to the dark-arts as well and it's interesting how in that moment, he chooses to insult Lily by calling her a 'mudblood' when she tries to defend him.

Snape was a very very bitter man. There is no doubt that he loved Lily a lot....sacrificed a lot for her....but I don't think him and Lily were mean to be....this is obvious in itself that Lily left him cuz she couldn't take how bitter he had turned and his leanings towards the dark-arts. I think all of this bitterness basically stemmed from his abusive childhood which JKR hinted at.....He viewed Lily as a reprieve from all of that....the one shining light of goodness in his life....but ultimately that inherent bitterness in him overrode everything and succeeded in pushing Lily away.

James was a bit of a spoilt jock but ultimately he outgrew that. And that is why him and Lily ended up together.

JKR created such brilliant characters! Snape remains one of my favorites....so fascinating in all the layers there are to him....not black or white....but gray. Alan Rickman's portrayal took it to a whole new level in the movies.....looking forward to how they do the Snape scenes in the next two movies.
Edited by nureat01 - 15 years ago