Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

blyton thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
Awww......i Lowed the article above! It fits perfectly with the title of our fanclub! 😃
rupsii thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 3
Ummm for me it will have to be DDLJ ( Armaan coming for mona from london to amritsar), Kuch kuch hota hai(manda in college..)...ohh the list is endless...
rupsii thumbnail
Thanks for the article kajol...way to go for Mona...
blyton thumbnail

Showbiz celebrates regional diversity
15 Aug 2008, 0045 hrs IST, MONIKA RAWAL
Celebrating the regional flavour
Tune into the idiot box or hit the nearest cinema hall, and it's the season to celebrate the country's myriad regional flavours.

While television seems to be regaling in serials based on regional fervour like Kyunkii Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi (Gujarati) and Waqt Batayega Kon Apna Kon Paraya (Bengali), feature films like Singh Is Kinng are relishing the culture curry.

Bengali actress Rituparna Sengupta says, "Each region and religion has its own flavour to offer, I find it a fantastic thing to enjoy and educate myself about diverse cultures through the entertainment medium. India being a country where unity exists in diversity, it's good to have such variety together."

Mona Singh, aka Jassi of Jassi Jaisi Koi Nahi quips, "The trend of adding a regional flavour was kicked off by television first and Bollywood has gradually imbibed this trend. It's through an exposure to these different cultures that people have starting using names like Papu, Biloo, Rano and Jassi. The wide regional essence is the best way to reach out to our masses."

Following the telly trend, some popular filmi hits which cast an impact on the big screen include films like Singh is King (Punjabi), Mission Kashmir (Kashmiris), Devdas (Bengali), Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam (Gujarati), The Bong Connection (Bengali) Jodha Akbar (Rajasthan) etc. In the telly world, regional families which have become more of household names are Kyunkii Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi (Gujarati), Mayaaka (Punjabi), Karam Apna Apna (Bengali), Bidaai (UP, Agra), Saath Phere (Marwadi), Raja Ki Aayegi Baraat (Rajasthan), Kasautti Zindagi Ki (Bengali), Grihasthi (Punjabi), Ba Bahu aur Baby (Gujarati).

Even stars are enjoying the cultural cross breeding. Reshhmi Ghosh aka Bhoomi Virani in Kyunkii Saas Bhi... feels, "Being a Bengali, I didn't know much about the Punjabi or Gujarati culture. But having worked in serials like Kyunkii and Kayamth, I have picked up a lot about the way they eat, talk, dress and worship. I enjoy Dandiya and Bhangra today as much as I enjoy Durga Puja."

In a country like India where a large majority of the population still talks about divide and rule, believes in casteism etc, the regional offerings on TV and Bollywood have served as an apt platform in bringing about a feeling of togetherness, nationhood and patriotism embedded within an innately regional framework.

The stupendous success of the Akshay Kumar starrer Singh is Kinng has proved a plot based largely on Punjabis can be a national and international super hit. If only, the essence is being Indian. Reshmi asserts, "I thoroughly enjoyed the film, though I had to keep my eyes and ears open to understand the intrinsically Punjabi wit and humour which came at regular intervals. It was amazing to see the beautiful revelation of Punjabi culture."
Mona recalls, "I saw the film with my friends and I was the only one laughing, as I knew exact Punjabi. My friends kept asking me about several dialogues in the film. Similarly, when I watched Namesake ; I couldn't understand many scenes that bore a typical Bengali accent. So, it's a welcome change from largely commercially viable movies which cater only to metros. These regional flavors add to the interest and curiosity to know more about one particular culture."

So, this Independence Day, let's celebrate the regional flavour in its true spirit, by saluting the innate Indianess in all of us.

Very interesting article, and i lowed Mona's comments...especially the one about films catering only to metros. She seems to have her heart and mind in the right place! 😊
blyton thumbnail
An article from 2005 that mentions Mona as one of the trend-setters in the revival of the sari:

The New-Look Saree Is Cascading Into The Fashion Scene In 2005
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 (EST)

With Liz Hurley – the international playgirl – appearing in a saree in the U.S., the saree has become an internationally admired 'most elegant' garment in the West. Books on its flowing beauty, its textures, its tradition etc are being planned in the US. In India too, the saree is coming out in ever-new avatars to bewitch snazzy women of the upper-crust society. Though Westernisation brought about a decline in the popularity of the original six-yard garment, now newer actresses like Vidya Balan and TV's beautiful face Mona Singh have brought it back to center stage of fashion with a bang. 😊😊😊 Even till recently, the saree was considered as the preferred garment of elegant elderly women who were proper and had a no-nonsense attitude. Now the saree has gone ga-ga and become the most 'sensuous' garment of the decade. The prints have changed to include brushwork, figurines, forest-rich prints and vibrant colours. The cholis have begun to look like skirt tops, halter-necked little somethings, ganjis, bikinis and even boob tubes. Add to this the chunky jewellery featuring saints and gods, and the look is complete. Saree belts define a slim waist. The chunky bracelets, pendants and handbags with stylized human figures enhance the look. So this rainy season – summer in the West – the saree is holding everyone spellbound. Actress Mahima Choudhary, who has been promoting this new style of the saree, says that a woman can look 'drop-dead' gorgeous in the saree because it outlines her curves sensationally.

While this trend is sweeping India, it is a pity that Aishwarya Rai could only notch-up a 'rather patronizing response' to the saree when she draped it around celebrity host Oprah Winfrey on her show. The saree here turned out to be a dud – may be because of Oprah's general attitude towards India and its women!

rupsii thumbnail
Thanks for the articles, anji, hadn't read them earlier...yup, Mona is the beautiful face of television...
rupsii thumbnail
Some more pics..from me to share with you😳😳😳..

Edited by rupali28 - 15 years ago
kajol12 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Mona in new reality show😊
Shama, Mona Singh in Ek Khiladi Ek Hasina

Cricket and entertainment make for a deadly combination. Tapping this mix is Colors which is coming up with a unique reality show Ek Khiladi Ek Hasina. News has it that Mona Singh and Shama Sikander are part of the show.

A source says, "Shama and Mona are among the six hasinas, who'll be part of the show. There are all together six jodis. The show is expected to air on September 15."

When contacted, Shama Sikander said, "I'm under contract and will not be able to comment anything on this."

Mona Singh was unavailable for comment.

Titled Ek Hasina Ek Khiladi, this show, produced by UTV, will see pair of cricketer and a hasina burn the dance floor. And the contestants will be judged by former Pakistan cricketing great Wasim Akram and former Miss Universe and Bollywood actress Sushmita Sen.

Indian cricketers Sreesanth and Harbhajan Singh are also tipped to be part of the show.

blyton thumbnail
Thanks for the pics Rups...she looks completely gorgeous in all of them. 😍😍😍

And wowwwww......new reality show!! Finally we get to see Mona on screen again.....and thank heaven i got Colors at last! 😃