No need to panic, says scientist

By Indo Asian News Service | Thursday, September 07, 2006 | 2:39:49 PM IST (+05:30 GMT) Comment 0 Comment

Bangalore, Sep 7 (IANS) The Madras University geologist who has predicted a possible earthquake Friday in Assam on the basis of planetary positions says there is absolutely no need for panic.

Bangalore, Sep 7 (IANS) The Madras University geologist who has predicted a possible earthquake Friday in Assam on the basis of planetary positions says there is absolutely no need for panic.

'Since I have given 70 percent probability for the occurrence of the earthquake, there is still 30 percent chance for its nonoccurrence,' S. Venkatanathan of the applied geology department told IANS Thursday.

Venkatanathan said that his predictions were fully based on theoretical calculations involving astrophysics and geophysics and analysis of past events in a particular place.

However he said the success rate of his predictions achieved so far is 75 percent. In other words, there is a 25 percent chance the earthquake will not occur.

'As a scientist specializing in this area, I released the results of my calculations to forewarn the government and not to cause panic among the people,' he said.

The Assam government apparently is taking the warnings seriously.

Rupak Kumar Mazumder, the Assam state project officer for disaster management, in an email to Venkatanathan has requested him 'to keep in touch so that I can inform you about actions taken by the government of Assam on the basis of the valuable information that you are posting to me'.

Meanwhile, Arun Bapat, a seismologist from Pune who had issued an earthquake alert on the basis of rise in atmospheric temperature, told IANS that he might go to Assam Thursday depending on the exigencies.

Bapat, who was contacted by Assam government officials Thursday, said he has advised them to look out for drop in water level in wells and rivers and other parameters that are 'short term earthquake precursors.'

Bapat said his warning was based on rise of atmospheric temperature that normally precedes 100 to 200 days before a major quake.

He said that in a particular place the thermal rise up to 6 degrees C had been noticed since June this year. He said he would not give the exact time of occurrence because it is not really possible.

Referring to the warning by Venkatanathan, he said, 'I have no knowledge about planetary connection to earthquakes.'

In any case, he said he would not approve a warning directly to the people 'as it causes fear psychosis'.

Bapat said that if Venkatanathan's prediction was really correct, one should see a marked increase in hospital admissions.

'Like animals, humans are good precursors of impending quake,' he said. 'Hospital outpatient cases usually rise up to six times prior to earthquakes and I have advised the Assam government to monitor the outpatient cases.

'If there is going to be an earthquake tomorrow, today's figures will be very high.'

Do you like this article?

Copyright  Indo-Asian News Service

User Rating  Rating(0 Votes)

Views  553

Readers Feedback & Discussion

Join India Forums for free to comment on this story. Have an account already? Login to comment.

News Sci-Tech Articles Index

  

Articles in National, Sci-Tech

Art - Culture Business Diaspora
Education Health Politics
Religion Sports Sci-Tech
Travel

AROUND THE WORLD NOW

Asia America Australia
Africa Europe Gulf-Middle East
Pakistan Nepal Bhutan
Sri Lanka Bangladesh Maldives

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.