Jo Jeeta Wohi Superstar

Abhijeet Sawant 'I was sure I would not win'

Anashah1980 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago

'I was sure I would not win'

Says Abhijeet Sawant after coming second on Jo Jeeta Wohi Superstar
RELATED NEWS
    Abhijeet Sawant goes the Pak pop way Abhijeet Sawant: My voice isn't unnatural
  • Indian Idol

Abhijeet Sawant, who became the heartthrob of the nation after winning the first Indian Idol crown, has been beaten by the Idol runner up Rahul Vaidya on Jo Jeeta Wohi Superstar. But he does not think coming second is so bad. Excerpts from a chat...

How was your experience doing Jo Jeeta Wohi Superstar?

It was a great experience, but I did not take it as a life and death situation. For me, it was just one more avenue to showcase my talent. Looking at the way things were going, I was sure that I would not win. Plus, whenever you have audience voting, the unpredictability factor does creep in. The only thing that worried me was that I should finish at a level, which does justice to my earlier title. And coming second is good enough. It's good to lose once in a while – you get sympathy. Seriously speaking, people had earlier claimed that I had won only on my smile. It would really hurt to hear such a thing. But now I can say that I have reached where I am on merit.

Rahul Vaidya beats Abhijeet

What is your take on Harshit Saxena walking out?

He was really disappointed. Can't blame him though, as the last time also he had lost to Ishmeet due to a moment at the fag end. To face defeat twice in a row is not easy to digest.

Next Page: Reality show winners are not good singers

You had taken part in Asian Idol last year. How are international reality shows different from our desi versions?

They are more or less the same. Even there, the guy who won Singapore Idol was less talented than the Malaysian and Indonesian Idols. But because he looked good and had better stage presence, he won.

So, you agree that winners are not necessarily good singers?

The audience gets swayed by emotions than anything else, especially girls who vote on looks. The matter is further exacerbated when after winning these guys lose their bearing and get carried away. Winning a reality show is the journey and not your destination.

No winner has really rocked the playback scene?

Yes, the things have got worse now. When I came on the scene, I was just an ordinary singer. After me, many more guys have come who were called extraordinary. Yet, where are they? The biggest challenge is to create space among the existing players. And these days most music directors sing themselves.

Any changes in the reality format since you won?

Things were more real then. Even we had our fair share of controversies, but they were edited. However, these days you thrive on such issues. The dimming of light and music add to the drama.

Advice to future reality shows participants?

Parents please don't send children to such competitions. At a time when they need to hone their talents, they get carried away by victory and lose their way. And losers should not get broken rather they should take such things in their stride and march on.

What's next?

My debut film Lottery. However, we are waiting for a right window to release. We don't want to get crushed by big-ticket releases. [Sawant set for B'wood debut]

What about music?

Although I will do films, music will always remain my passion.

Any more reality shows?

No, I have had my fill. It's not right to keep coming in front to the audience for votes. It's time I won their heart by hard work. They should buy my CDs.

Among your three albums, rate your best?

Although my first album, Aapka… Abhijeet Sawant got lots of popularity, in terms of work, Junoon was the best. [Watch JUNOON VIDEO]

http://www.buzz18.com/news/tv/i-was-sure-i-would-not-win/69101/0

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Dabulls23 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Thanks for sharing.  Appreciate it.  Love this guy.
Almost Heaven thumbnail
n yah hady mirza was less talented than those two abhijeet mentioned. n yah ofcourse girls go on looks sometimes, otherwise hady wudnt win.

thanks for sharing.
ranig thumbnail
What does he mean when he says even in that one the good looking less talented singer won. Does that mean he was the good looking and less talented one when he won the first time.

He shouldn't be pointing fingers as he was not considered the best singer on the first indian idol. Rahul was more consistent. Even this time Harshit and Debojeet were more consistent.  These contests are unpredictable. When you go for a reality show, one must accept that there are several factors which make someone the winner.
crazy fanatic thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: ranig

What does he mean when he says even in that one the good looking less talented singer won. Does that mean he was the good looking and less talented one when he won the first time.

He shouldn't be pointing fingers as he was not considered the best singer on the first indian idol. Rahul was more consistent. Even this time Harshit and Debojeet were more consistent.  These contests are unpredictable. When you go for a reality show, one must accept that there are several factors which make someone the winner.

So? He isn't complaining. He admitted himself that people said he only won II 1 because girls voted for his smile. And that's the general thinking. A lot of people do think people vote for ones who they get attached to most. He wasn't calling anyone out, he was speaking in general terms. As for JJWS, he's proved to everyone that he was deserving of the II title, and all the judges have said so too.
*fairytale* thumbnail

Guys please don't take offence, I adore Abhijeet and everything🥰 but he's surprised me by his arrogance in the interview.ConfusedIunno it sortah seems like just cuz he won Indian Idol,he thinks he's really wise and a know-it-all.

kabhi_21 thumbnail
Originally posted by: *fairytale*

Guys please don't take offence, I adore Abhijeet and everything🥰 but he's surprised me by his arrogance in the interview.ConfusedIunno it sortah seems like just cuz he won Indian Idol,he thinks he's really wise and a know-it-all.

Arrogance ConfusedOuchConfusedOuchConfusedOuchConfusedOuchConfusedOuchConfusedOuchConfusedOuchConfusedOuchConfusedOuch
kabhi_21 thumbnail
Its a lot matured interview we have seen....
crazy fanatic thumbnail
Originally posted by: *fairytale*

Maybe all of them have decided to get all arrogant now that the show is over? 😆

Seriously though, he's saying it like it is. He says winning or losing doesn't get you anywhere. It's true? He is speaking from personal experience. He's been a winner for 3 years now...but where did that take him in terms of playback singing? Hardly anywhere. That's the same with most of the reality show contestants. Secondly, he says that people get lost in the desire to win when they participate in such shows and therefore lose the focus on just being good and talented. And...isn't that true? Reality show contestants do just think about winning. But winning isn't the end.

So I dont know...I think he's being very honest, especially since he's gone through it all himself.  He isn't talking down on anyone, especially because he himself falls into this category he speaks of.
Edited by crazy fanatic - 15 years ago
crazy fanatic thumbnail

edited...douple post accidentally.

Edited by crazy fanatic - 15 years ago