Page 1 of 3

Page 1
Page   of 3
Page 2 Page 3

corvette

IF-Rockerz

corvette

Posted: 15 July 2008 at 7:43am | IP Logged
Let's face it, there are plenty of things nowadays that wind us up.........the list is endless....costs of living, youth culture, crime,  commuting, the general public..

Does practising tolerance have any place in society today???

Is it best to call a spade a spade and be indifferent, or should one always strive to maintain a balanced view?

Has being more tolerant been the making of you, or breaking of you???

Were you previously tolerant and had your fingers burnt, or do you feel increased tolerance has brought peace to your inner self. What is there to be gained/lost?
 (Mods feel free to close/merge with previous post if one exists)

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Do you practice tolerance?" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

IdeaQueen

IF-Dazzler

IdeaQueen

Posted: 15 July 2008 at 10:57am | IP Logged
Nice Topic MM ji,
Tolerance comes with wisdom....and I wonder at what age a human gets real wisdom...
Personally, my tolerance levels are very low...Tongue
Cheers,
Myth

bunbutt_too

IF-Sizzlerz

bunbutt_too

Posted: 15 July 2008 at 1:29pm | IP Logged
"Tolerance" that is a totally alien word in todays microwave, give me, I me myself, me first, internet society. Last time I used the word or practiced it  was,  was, was.........damn I don't remember.

Global warming is a threat but before that unleashes its apocalyptic effects, our lack of tolerance will have done us in.  I see the signs everywhere on our freeways, in our schools, colleges and work places, in our cities, in our countries down to our very own homes. 

Edited by bunbutt_too - 15 July 2008 at 1:33pm

corvette

IF-Rockerz

corvette

Posted: 16 July 2008 at 3:28am | IP Logged

the more tolerant we are, the less vexed we become....

wisdom doesnt necessarily need to be age related, though I concede it probably is more often than not.

The irony is BB,  in this (as you rightly define) "microwave" life, considering how het up we all are with our daily lives and the stress of cramming everything in, dont you agree that the practic eof more tolerance will alleviate some of  the daily stress???

Also, as stress is a modern, developed world phenomena, how can  the practice of tolerance be better implemented in places where there is poverty or religious conflict?

Do you think religion promotes tolerance?

sajnaa

sajnaa

Posted: 16 July 2008 at 12:48pm | IP Logged
religion promotes tolerance if the essence of it is taken
but ppl dont do that
ppl go by the book...which doesnt allow for a lot of things

if ppl started looking past the rules to see why they were made and what they enforce we would be a whole more tolerant society

no offence but for tolerance open mindedness is needed...and unfortunately when you go by the book as most religious ppl do...theres not that much space for open mindedness

AsliiGuy

IF-Dazzler

AsliiGuy

Posted: 16 July 2008 at 5:09pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by sajnaa

religion promotes tolerance if the essence of it is taken
but ppl dont do that
ppl go by the book...which doesnt allow for a lot of things

if ppl started looking past the rules to see why they were made and what they enforce we would be a whole more tolerant society

no offence but for tolerance open mindedness is needed...and unfortunately when you go by the book as most religious ppl do...theres not that much space for open mindedness

well another side of the coin, some "books" tell you to be open minded and humble. I think religious ppl (not all of course), are the most tolerant...

But everything should be taken in steps, being tolerant does not happen over night..Wink

corvette

IF-Rockerz

corvette

Posted: 17 July 2008 at 3:38am | IP Logged
Youre absolutely right AsliGuy, in that tolerance doesnt happen overnight...

Sajnaa, I hear your point on openmindedness, but is it really necessary for tolerance??

Would you consider that perhaps what is more necessary to have tolerance is inner enlightenment, being generally satisfied within your skin and acceptance of yourself, who you are, what you are....

Like Asli, I always thought that if truly religious people got together, they would find they had more in common than not, and therefore, in principle, could be tolerant of the less important differences amongst them.

The theory breaks down however when differences become more important than the agreements, and/or the need to justify your beliefs to yourself by ramming them down others throats.

Love the distinction drawn between religion and "the book" by you Sajnaa

My view is religion is probably as close to perfection as it comes.

Followers of religion are however human and therefore, by definition, imperfect.

All we can do is strive for perfection.

Peace to all

AngryMAngry

Edited by Madmadgirl - 17 July 2008 at 3:39am

ImPerfection

Goldie

Posted: 17 July 2008 at 12:22pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top