Gary Bhinder : A Director Par Excellence

Posted: 15 years ago

A success of the serial is not only dependent on the actors enacting the role but is also largely dependent on the crew behind the scenes. The director essentially has a large role to play in keeping his flock together.

That the flock of kis desh is a united lot and the team spirit says it all, it just shows on TV. The success of kis desh to a large extent goes to its director Mr Gary Bhinder.

His sudden demise has indeed a left a void in the hearts of all, a void that may perhaps never be filled.  Whether it was kahani or then nimmo, be it kis desh or now mahabharat, Mr. Bhinder's Signature Style has said it all.

Kis Desh has always given us a reason to smile and now i guess , it time we showed to the cast and crew that we are with them in their moment of grief.

We, the members of the kis desh forum offer our heart felt condolescenes to the family and friends of Mr Bhinder. May god give them the courage to get over this grief and May his soul rest in peace.

I leave this post open now for us to discuss the best directed scenes of kis desh (along with what was made that scene special and unique), the ones which will remain etched in our memories for long. For me, I cant distiguish one from the other, but perhaps the scenes that will remain in my memory for long would be the confession scene of prem and heer, when prem and heer meet for the first time, the mandap scene, the rain scene when prem and heer leave the house, the mother - son scenes, the jail scene.... each of these scenes have had the eye for detail in them.

Thanks for the post, Misty.

In all my irritation for the past week and a half, I forgot to take into consideration that Kis Desh and Its crew lost a very crucial member of the team not too long ago.

My most heartfelt apologies for not being more sensitive to the issue.

My sympathies are with Mr. Bhinder's family and friends through this difficult time.

It makes sense that Kis Desh would be facing a rough patch having lost such an important member. You've helped me regain a bit of my patience when it comes to the show (though I still feel the originality and plot have faultered - though, i believe the creatives are at fault here).

As for scenes, all the ones that you have mentioned above are paticular favorites, though I must say the scene where Prem first says "kabse dhound raha houn tumhe" is a particular favorite of mine...and of course the jail scene...and the mandap drama...oh, and mother-son scenes...I'm a sucker for those.  😳

Thanks again for a beautiful post.
Love,
~PayalEdited by IndianPari - 15 years ago
apt post, misty.

i don't know much about how shows or movies are put together. but i always understood that a director is kinda like the conductor of an orchestra in creating music. there are several instruments in a show like in the orchestra -- actors, camera crew, editors, sound crew, scriptwriters, etc. each do their own thing, but it's the director that puts it altogether. so in a certain sense, it's the director's vision that we end up seeing on the screen. and it's been a rather incredible vision so far.

i don't know about the other shows. but i think i know this one. a show that has got several people watching devotedly and not from the start. a lot of us have been yanked in by spectacular episodes, caught randomly, in a brief viewing. and we have been hooked into the show, that has been spinning a web around us, since.

my "hook" was the scene where a distraught prem asked an equally distraught gayatri-mom why she wouldn't acknowledge him as her son in public.

the starting of the web was the episode where heer claims to run a prostitute business in prem's hotel because "she is poor and needs the money to fulfil her dreams". the web started solidifying around me from that moment through to
when prem goes to the prostitute's home to "persuade" her to give evidence through to
when prem visits heer in jail to
when prem and heer land back at his home, to
when preet-harman discover that pb has been drinking, and they think that it's to forget harman's insulting prem, to gayatri-mom knows it is to forget the girl who has captured prem's heart.
i thought those were some of the best episodes in content, style and impact.

who can forget the part that starts with heer being in a rage when she finds out that prem brought her an outfit and ended in prem's "because i love you!".

or the entire sequence of prem-meher-heer taking possession of a dusty, disused little house after leaving prem's home.

so i will join you in saluting Garry Bhinder, the director who got us hooked into a love story where the lead pair don't speak to each other, or laugh with each other. i thank him for showing us passionate love in the way two hands can curl around and hold each other. i thank him for the little puffs of wind that fluff up prem's hair. 😆 i hope he had as much fun doing this show, as we have had watching it.

i hope his family knows how proud they can be of him.
thanks a lot, Misty for opening this topic....thanks a bunch......Hats off to Mr. Bhinder.....I must say he was the best Director ever in the telly world......He did so many seriels and they all rocked big time.......Once up on a time, I used to watch around 16 seriels per day on I-F, but I started watching KDMHMD since PREM/Harshu made his entry in KDMHMD, the story took 360 degree turn and KDMHMD became even more and more popular........and everything started rocking even more wheather its acting, directing, dialogues, everything was rocking........I am telling this from the bottom of my heart, that I hv never ever seen a seriel like KDMHMD before, I mean everything in KDMHMD is fab.......I would give 75% credit to REKHA Modi(dialogue writer) and to Mr. Bhinder (Director), and other 25% goes to Actors, make-up artists, designers, and everybody.........bcoz, of Rekha Modi's fantastic dialogues and Mr. Bhinder's fantastic Direction makes all the already best actors of KDMHMD act even better and better.........I used to watch 16 seriels per day, but ever since i started watching KDMHMD, I now only watch abt 3-4 seriels, bcoz KDMHMD has everything in it........and I spent other time re-watching previous KDMHMD episodes, bcoz the dialogues, settings, acting, direction, and all that things keep pulling me to watch KDMHMD again and again instead of watching other seriels..................last but not least........thanks to whole KDMHMD team.....u guys rock big time.......... God bless Mr. Bhinder's soul and Mr. Bhinder's family and friends.......Edited by zindagi001 - 15 years ago
Thanks for the opportunity Misty.

Garry Bhinder's life cannot be counted by the moments that he lived but by the moments that he created that took our breath away.

With Kis Desh there are so many of these moments for me that got me hooked onto the serial and that made it into a success within weeks of its airing. All the premeer scenes, gayatri-prem scenes, bauji-prem scenes. All of them were enacted the way they were because of his vision.

May God gives strength to his loved ones, his friends and his colleagues to go through this loss. May his soul rest in peace.
thanx for the post....

I convey my heartfelt condolescenes to the family of
Garry bhinder....
As a director he has done an excellent job with kis desh...which attracted me to the show....
for me the best scenes ver the one in jail,prem telling heer dat 'coz i love u '....those scenes have given a lasting impression in my mind also many of the prem-heer scenes....
May the good god strengthen his family members and close ones...

5 replies, surely we can do better than this and show the kis desh team that we are with them in their moment of grief.

Edited by mistyeyed_25 - 15 years ago
Thanks for the post.....My sympathies are with Mr. Bhinder's family and friends in this difficult time. May his soul rest in peace.....

Originally posted by IndianPari

Thanks for the post, Misty.

In all my irritation for the past week and a half, I forgot to take into consideration that Kis Desh and Its crew lost a very crucial member of the team not too long ago.

My most heartfelt apologies for not being more sensitive to the issue.

My sympathies are with Mr. Bhinder's family and friends through this difficult time.

It makes sense that Kis Desh would be facing a rough patch having lost such an important member. You've helped me regain a bit of my patience when it comes to the show (though I still feel the originality and plot have faultered - though, i believe the creatives are at fault here).

As for scenes, all the ones that you have mentioned above are paticular favorites, though I must say the scene where Prem first says "kabse dhound raha houn tumhe" is a particular favorite of mine...and of course the jail scene...and the mandap drama...oh, and mother-son scenes...I'm a sucker for those.  😳

Thanks again for a beautiful post.
Love,
~Payal

Hey Payal,

Thanks for replying to the post... I have always loved Mr Bhinder style of story telling through his direction. Other than the ones mentioned, one of the scenes that completely blew me away was when heer is at the shiv mandir crying her heart out and prem sees her and then when he saves her from the goons at the railway station. that scene was brilliant!

May his soul rest in peace. Amen.

Originally posted by estee

apt post, misty.

i don't know much about how shows or movies are put together. but i always understood that a director is kinda like the conductor of an orchestra in creating music. there are several instruments in a show like in the orchestra -- actors, camera crew, editors, sound crew, scriptwriters, etc. each do their own thing, but it's the director that puts it altogether. so in a certain sense, it's the director's vision that we end up seeing on the screen. and it's been a rather incredible vision so far.

i don't know about the other shows. but i think i know this one. a show that has got several people watching devotedly and not from the start. a lot of us have been yanked in by spectacular episodes, caught randomly, in a brief viewing. and we have been hooked into the show, that has been spinning a web around us, since.

my "hook" was the scene where a distraught prem asked an equally distraught gayatri-mom why she wouldn't acknowledge him as her son in public.

the starting of the web was the episode where heer claims to run a prostitute business in prem's hotel because "she is poor and needs the money to fulfil her dreams". the web started solidifying around me from that moment through to
when prem goes to the prostitute's home to "persuade" her to give evidence through to
when prem visits heer in jail to
when prem and heer land back at his home, to
when preet-harman discover that pb has been drinking, and they think that it's to forget harman's insulting prem, to gayatri-mom knows it is to forget the girl who has captured prem's heart.
i thought those were some of the best episodes in content, style and impact.

who can forget the part that starts with heer being in a rage when she finds out that prem brought her an outfit and ended in prem's "because i love you!".

or the entire sequence of prem-meher-heer taking possession of a dusty, disused little house after leaving prem's home.

so i will join you in saluting Garry Bhinder, the director who got us hooked into a love story where the lead pair don't speak to each other, or laugh with each other. i thank him for showing us passionate love in the way two hands can curl around and hold each other. i thank him for the little puffs of wind that fluff up prem's hair. 😆 i hope he had as much fun doing this show, as we have had watching it.

i hope his family knows how proud they can be of him.

Hey Estee,

That was beautifully written. I too join you in thanking him - thanking him for the smiles that came on my face everytime i saw kis desh. I wanted to acknowledge my deepfelt gratitude to him for thew MB sequel in Kahani. Sashas entry along with his family remains one of the best scenes in KGGK, that I will hold very dear to my heart. Kya Hoga Nimmo Ka is another personal favourite of mine.

I'm sure his family will indeed be proud of him, just as we are... and my heart goes out to them right now.

May his soul rest in peace. Amen.