nram thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago

TPTM collects Rs 500 on Day One

Audiences in smaller towns have rejected the film, while multiplexes may save the day
By Johnny Vaz . Buzz18 Jul 01, 2008
Comments [3]   E-mail
RELATED NEWS
  • 'My parents were shocked'
  • Karan Johar's Kuch Kuch Hota Hai
  • 'I was lifted in the air with cranes'
  • 'Thoda Pyaar... is not a Mr India'
  • Rani romances the dinosaurs

If trade reports are to be believed, Yash Raj's Saif-Rani starrer Thoda Pyaar Thoda Magic, has failed to work its magic on the box office. The film opened to a dismally low set of collections last Friday. Though the movie picked up a bit over the weekend, the collections dipped again on Monday.

The collections at multiplexes in the metros have been better over the weekend, hitting almost 85 per cent at some places. The collections have dipped since Monday and is not expected to pick up. According to analysts, the high weekend turnout is credited to bulk bookings and corporate shows that have become the norm with films such as these.

According to Ashok Anchan of Supercinema, the film has failed to work in the smaller towns where it should have managed to draw the crowds.

Says Anchan, "First of all Saif as a solo hero is not a crowd puller at the box office. Secondly, even being a children-dominated film, most of the kids did not enjoy it. Distributors themselves were disappointed with the half-hearted publicity for this film. And the debacle of Tashan has surely affected the film. You will be shocked when you see the collections in some places. In Vellore, Tamil Nadu, the first day first show gross collections were only Rs 2,200. In Melody cinema, in Chennai, the first day first show gross collections were Rs 8,000. Narendra cinema in Punjab managed a gross collection of Rs 5,200 on the first day first show. While Ajay cinema in Bhatinda, collected a dismal Rs 1,800 on the first day first show."

"In Kalyan cinema, Ropat and Elite cinema, Patiala, the first day first show gross collections were only Rs 600. In Ashok cinema, Punjab, it was Rs 900. Swaran cinema, Hoshiarpur collected Rs 800 and Geeta cinema, Moga, Punjab, collected what we usually pay for movie tickets for two - Rs 500."

Journalist and film critic, Abhijit Mhamunkar says, "The film has not met with the expectation of its target audience - the kids and the family audience. An extremely unimaginative and predictable screenplay can be held as the chief culprit for the bombing of this film. It has been four years since Saif has delivered a solo hit (Hum Tum) and now despite his soaring market value he still cannot guarantee a solo hit. It's high time Yash Raj started re-working their creatives."

Adil Sheikh of G-7 had a different viewpoint altogether. According to him, "The film story is similar to Rajesh Khanna's Dushman, both the heroes accidently kill someone and are punished. People are fed-up with fairy tales. Rani cannot attract the masses anymore. Ameesha Patel comes and goes. Rishi Kapoor is completely wasted. The film lacks the Yash Raj touch. Collections are good but definitely not as expected."

Girish Wankhede, head of PR and corporate communications, Cinemax says, "The collections were very good on Friday, Saturday and Sunday but the film did not sustain. The audience feels that the film is very slow."

J Popat, General Manager of late N N Sippy (Janata Films Distributors) says, "The hype, publicity and promotion were not up to mark. The title was misleading and there was no magic. Music was the main minus point of the film. Lastly, Saif is no more a crowdpuller for sure".

However, according to Yash Raj's PR machinery: The film has collected Rs 10.32 crores in three days, beating the last Yash Raj hit, Chak de India!

This is a crucial week for Thoda Pyaar Thoda Magic, as it will decide whether the film is actually a hit or an average grosser, or even worse, a flop. Yash Raj may have recovered its money, but the big question is, has the audience really given the film a thumbs up?

http://www.buzz18.com/news/movies/tptm-collects-rs-500-on-da y-one/66321/0

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Mommytobe thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
πŸ˜† super flop knew it.. and why is humtum photo with article πŸ˜†
pomegranate thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
"ouch" thats pretty bad Rs 500! I kniew the film's gonna be flop just like the other yash raj films.
nram thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
TPTM seems to be a victim of recent YR string of duds despite being much better in offering than many of YR recent films
pomegranate thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: nram

TPTM seems to be a victim of recent YR string of duds despite being much better in offering than many of YR recent films

umm, yeah after watching a line of horrible movies, like neal N niki, JBJ, tashan. etc.  no one wants to waste money watching YR fims, even if the movie is good. now yash chopra stopped making movies and aditya chopra started, I do admit that AC  makes crappy movies.No offence.

jigglypuff726 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

😲😲😲 just 500 rupees? that is definitely discouraging! but judging from the reviews, this film seems to be better than the recent spat of films YRF has been churning out. hopefully it'll pick up at the B.O soon!πŸ˜ƒ

SIRFINA thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
aditya needs to stop putting his ladylove in most yash raj films and start concentrating on scripts and maybe they will have a hit on their hands.
Dits thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Shame shame puppy shame! I hate to tell those ppl tht I told them so, but I did tell them so! πŸ˜†
Showbizz thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Aditya Chopra has hopeless scripts , so obviously none of his films will work , I wonder if he was a drop put from school , such poor imagination