Research on Caste System *Help Please*

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 15 years ago

Hello!

I am a American (US πŸ˜‰) Student in the IB program. We are required to write an Extended Essay (4000 words) on a topic of our choice. My topic is the Indian caste system. I have the specific question that I have developed ( we have have to make an essay question and then fully answer the question in 4000 words).

I need sources that talk about the Indian caste system.

Specifically --> the British's Influence on the caste system, the history of the caste system, and people who were/ would be limited by the caste system --> these specific areas would be great.  

By the last part (limitations) I mean something like If _ (ex: Gandhi) was from the lowest class he would have had no power.

I am currently in India on "vacation" so I can try and go to libraries. I have limited access to the internet, though, because it is a family computer and India has power outages.

Any sources at all would be great (interviews, books, websites, etc.)

Thanks & enjoy the Indian heatπŸ˜†

Nitesh

PS: I am posting this on the I-F because there are tons of Indians here and I think that people would be willing to help

hey i was in IB too, but then i moved to a different state and they dont have ib here, lol but good luck with ur essay, i can understand how hard IB can be,
as far as the caste system is concerned a lot of people will try to tell you that it has been in practice for thousands of years and BS like that but the truth is that the caste system was in practice for the past many thousand years but not in the way it is portrayed to be.
back in the days different castes were meant to organize the society like the kshatriyas' duty was to protect one and all, brahmins' duty used to be to educate one and all etc. i dont have sources but i do know that caste system was never a negative thing until the british came along and tried chaos and enemity amongst indians, hence brought along their own ideas and started to instigate indians to fight against each other. my suggestion would be to research what the duty of each caste used to be and try and portray the real, positive aspects of caste system, good luck

Originally posted by bolly_babe

hey i was in IB too, but then i moved to a different state and they dont have ib here, lol but good luck with ur essay, i can understand how hard IB can be,
as far as the caste system is concerned a lot of people will try to tell you that it has been in practice for thousands of years and BS like that but the truth is that the caste system was in practice for the past many thousand years but not in the way it is portrayed to be.
back in the days different castes were meant to organize the society like the kshatriyas' duty was to protect one and all, brahmins' duty used to be to educate one and all etc. i dont have sources but i do know that caste system was never a negative thing until the british came along and tried chaos and enemity amongst indians, hence brought along their own ideas and started to instigate indians to fight against each other. my suggestion would be to research what the duty of each caste used to be and try and portray the real, positive aspects of caste system, good luck

Great words aditi,

Some people paint the system as some bad thing...But back in the days it was like a huge engine...Every piece of the engine had a role, every gear, nut bolt etc..All parts depended on each other...Yes the Main part of the engine was important, but without the little gear to turn the engine, how would the engine work?

All in all, its def not a negative system.. From a religious view God does not recognize this system as a classification system to hold ppl back, We are all the same, its just that we are put into society to sustain and help each other... As I said,....The engine can not run without all the proper nuts and bolts in place...

Hope it helps, search the net for more info....😊.....Hope you get a good grade, great topic you chose as well!πŸ‘

very well said, the whole engine example fits really well and i agree it is a great choice to write a paper on

Originally posted by bolly_babe

very well said, the whole engine example fits really well and i agree it is a great choice to write a paper on

I like the engine example because the elders told it to me in this manner...Then being the nerd...I mean car person that I am, used an engine as an example...