TechTalk & Personal Computing Guide
TechTalk & Personal Computing Guide

you would not belive thisread to find out

cdesai12 Goldie
cdesai12
cdesai12

Posted: 11 January 2005 at 9:29pm | IP Logged
Sound and fury being monitored By Chidanand Rajghatta/TNN

Washington: Some months ago, an assistant to NBC comedian Conan O'Brien phoned the in-house help-desk to fix a computer glitch. The call landed in India. After a tete-etete with Sharon, the female call centre agent in Hyderabad, Andy flew to India with the computers, pretending to be smitten by the back office diva. The rest was all Bollywood parody, complete with song and dance.

Apparently such episodes are best restricted to comedy skits and fant a s y — b e - cause Big Brother is eavesdropping on you. Word in the business is that call centres are taking their pro forma warning—'This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes'—rather too seriously. They are supervising a higher percentage of calls than ever before and are also hiring third party firms to monitor calls, including in India.

The monitors are not only assessing the quality of the call centre agent response, but also the behaviour of the caller. Under the new rules of engagement, Andy the Assistant's flirtation with 'Sharon' would be taboo.
'Listen to me, you dirty rat eater' By Chidanand Rajghatta/TNN

Washington: A company monitoring the quality of call centre agent response and caller behaviour recently overheard a young male customer flirting with a female agent at a cellphone company and extracting her personal telephone number reported the matter to the cellphone company, according to the New York Times.

Call centre customers come in a variety of avatars, as this correspondent found after spending several nights in such back offices in Bangalore and New Delhi last year to understand how the system works. There are hotheads and cold hearts. Some are rude and obnoxious, some cannot speak or articulate clearly. Agents who can handle the situation are highly regarded. In one recent incident that has provoked outrage among Indian community activists, a caller from the US trying to purchase mail-order hair beads is reported to have abused a call centre agent in India.

A recording of the exchange was played on a Philadelphia radio station. According to an e-mail sent out by activists urging Indians to call the radio station in protest, the exchange went as follows:

Caller: This call's been outsourced to India? Agent: That's right.

Caller: Well, ma'am, what the eff would you know about an American white girl's...uh, uh...hair? And quick beads?

Agent: Just to inform you, ma'am, we're a national chain services company. And we're just taking calls on the opposite...

Caller: Listen, bitch! Don't get slick with the mouth! Don't you get slick with me, bitch!

Agent: Now if you continue to speak this language, I will disconnect the call.

Caller: Listen to me, you dirty rat-eater. I'll come out there and choke the eff out of you (laughter). You're a filthy rat-eater. I'm calling about my American six-year-old white girl. How dare you outsource my call? Get off the line, bitch! (laughter, end of tape)

Although such calls are rare and the US is known for its transactional correctness, the fact that call centres in India seem to provoke the ire of some US customers appears to have prompted companies to hire monitoring agencies. In fact, even the monitoring is now moving off-shore. Hyper-Quality, a Seattle-based firm, is said to have 100 call monitors in New Delhi eavesdropping on call centre workers around the US.

• Page 1 of 1

Go to top

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

• Please login to check your Last 10 Topics posted

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index