Sports/Cricket

Pak drops Akmal from Asia Cup squad

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

Khaya

IF-Stunnerz

Khaya

Posted: 19 June 2008 at 11:37am | IP Logged
Pak drops Akmal from Asia Cup squad Karachi (PTI): Pakistan's long serving wicketkeeper Kamran Akmal's luck finally ran out on Thursday when the national selection committee axed him from the Asia Cup squad and brought in young Sarfraz Ahmed. With Sarfraz the only keeper named in a short list of 20 probables for a two-day conditioning camp here, it was obvious that Kamran had lost the confidence of the selectors. Selectors said a final 15- member squad would be named on Sunday. Kamran's omission came after he played virtually non-stop for Pakistan in 38 Tests and 88 one-day internationals since replacing Moin Khan in 2004. He missed out on three one-dayers in recent months when the selectors rested him and played Sarfraz, 21, who hails from Karachi which traditionally has given Pakistan its best and longest serving keepers including Wasim Bari, Saleem Yousuf, Rashid Latif and Moin. The decision to drop Kamran came after his keeping had come in for sharp criticism even in the tri-series final win over India in Dhaka recently and also during the Indian Premier League. Sources say the captain and coach, sensing his time was up, had even tried to rescue him by sending him in as makeshift opener in Dhaka but the ploy didn't cut any ice with the selectors. The selectors dropped him after a lengthy meeting held in Lahore on Thursday in which there was plenty of debate on Kamran with the captain rooting for his retention. "But the selectors took a stand that Kamran had been given enough chances and it was time to give Sarfraz a proper and uninterrupted run in the Asia Cup," one source said. On record, chief selector, Salahuddin Ahmed said that Kamran remained the team's number one keeper but it was felt to give other players a chance. "Also this long rest will allow him to recoup and rest and try to comeback strong and fresh," he said. Salahuddin hoped the team would continue its same good form in the coming Asia Cup that it had shown in the tri-series final. The selectors also included rookie off spinner Saeed Ajmal and gave another call to young all-rounder Mansoor Amjad. The indications were that these young players would be given a chance against the weaker opposition in the Asia Cup.

Probables: Shoaib Malik (C), Nasir Jamshed, Salman Butt, Younis Khan, Mohammad Yousuf, Sarfraz Ahmed, Shahid Afridi, Fawad Alam, Sohail Tanvir, Bazid Khan, Yasir Hameed, Misbah-ul-Haq, Sohail Khan, Umar Gul, Rao Iftikhar, Wahab Riaz, Saeed Ajmal, Mansoor Amjad, Naumanullah and Asad Rauf.

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/007200806191624.htm

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Pak drops Akmal from Asia Cup squad" in Sports/Cricket forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

coolsonu

IF-Rockerz

coolsonu

Posted: 20 June 2008 at 2:34am | IP Logged
That's a very good decision...
Kamran needed some rest...he's been playing non stop since 4 yrs!!!
He needs to go back to domestic cricket and the National Academy and get his things right...His wicket keeping has deteriorated over the years.. The good thing is that Rashid Latif is the coach at the National Academy...Rashid bhai is one of our best wicketkeepers..Akmal will only improve under him.
Good luck to Sarfaraz!! He is a fighter guy...I'm sure he'll handle the pressure well.

Leo

IF-Dazzler

Leo

Posted: 20 June 2008 at 8:28am | IP Logged
I had seen Kamran's wicket-keeping in the IPL. He is quite good. I had noticed that he was quite fatigued cuz he missed some of the simple catches. But that is obvious cuz he hadn't rested for a long time.

It is a good decision by the PCB. Clap

farisss4

IF-Dazzler

farisss4

Posted: 21 June 2008 at 6:38am | IP Logged
salam frendzz..m back after a long time here..

well dont think dats a good decision yar..yes he has been playing for a lont time but he is in a good touch..he 2 have all d experience and asia cup is a big cup..dont think dats a good decision... Tongue

coolsonu

IF-Rockerz

coolsonu

Posted: 21 June 2008 at 10:17am | IP Logged
Originally posted by farisss4

salam frendzz..m back after a long time here..

well dont think dats a good decision yar..yes he has been playing for a lont time but he is in a good touch..he 2 have all d experience and asia cup is a big cup..dont think dats a good decision... Tongue

look at it the other way round... Asia Cup is a big cup..and u hav a keeper whom u can't rely upon coz he can drop any catch anytime.. Doesn't sound good..does it?Wink
    I understand your point about experience.. but Sarfaraz Ahmed too is a very good,strong cricketer....he has a lot of under 15,under 19, A-team and first class experience... Obviously, it's a tough challenge for him...but I know this guy.. He knows how to handle pressure...He has a lot of potential....
and I'm sure he'll cope with the pressure very well....
He not only keeps himself cool under crucial circumstances but also tries to cool down his team mates as well.... he showed the qualities he possesses in the U-19 WC 2006...when he was the captain.Our team was dismissed for a mere score of 100 odd runs by India...and it was Sarfaraz who lifted the team up..gave a fully motivating lecture to them.... and the result was that they dismissed India on a score of 70 odd runs..and brought the WC home..

*Fiza*

IF-Rockerz

*Fiza*

Posted: 22 June 2008 at 8:45am | IP Logged
wow ! really?... welcome back fariss Hug ..we missed u..and nimra i agree with u...i cudn't get any frustrated by akmal's performance..he hardly took any catch with his gloves..i agree that he is a excellent batsmen..but right now we want a good wicket-keeper that a batsmen.. and sounds lyke sarfraz has got everything that the selectors were looking for.. This series will defeintly boost his confidence even more and i m defiently looking forward to see him playing for pakistan for a long time... Lets wish that the team will do best in asia cup

coolsonu

IF-Rockerz

coolsonu

Posted: 22 June 2008 at 10:21am | IP Logged
Originally posted by *Fiza*

wow ! really?... welcome back fariss Hug ..we missed u..and nimra i agree with u...i cudn't get any frustrated by akmal's performance..he hardly took any catch with his gloves..i agree that he is a excellent batsmen..but right now we want a good wicket-keeper that a batsmen.. and sounds lyke sarfraz has got everything that the selectors were looking for.. This series will defeintly boost his confidence even more and i m defiently looking forward to see him playing for pakistan for a long time... Lets wish that the team will do best in asia cup

yeah...so true... Akmal had become very frustrating for all of us...
it's not really him who is to b blamed....it's actually the management who has kept him playing non stop for 4 whole years...that's too much for a wicket keeper especially..! Us ki tou kamar bend hi reh gayee ho gi.Confused
We're not saying that it's the end of Akmal.....He can definitely come back...he just needs to rest n relax a bit n then go back to domestic cricket n the NCA..
   All the best to Pak team and especially to Sarfaraz Ahmed..coz he's already in a lot of pressure as all eyes r on him.....I hope he delivers....Inshallah he will!Big smile

farisss4

IF-Dazzler

farisss4

Posted: 27 June 2008 at 10:50am | IP Logged
Originally posted by *Fiza*

are fizaa.. Clap Clap ...how r u yar...hope everythins f9 on d forum..hey u saw we lost 2 india quite badly yar...we battted superbly but got dishearted eventualy coz of a loss of a bowler str8 away..i wonder who know will replace gul..is it wahab?... Confused Ouch and yar fiza know we have to win all 3 to be in the frst 2..what say yar?...lets keep our fingers crossed.. Big smile

Post Reply New Post

Go to top