India-Forums

TechTalk & Personal Computing Guide
TechTalk & Personal Computing Guide

Downloading: FAQ's and Helpful Hints

meghavi IF-Rockerz
meghavi
meghavi

Posted: 11 January 2005 at 6:20pm | IP Logged
Downloading: FAQ's and Helpful Hints (Windows)
At times, it may be necessary to download a file, driver or an update from the Internet. Although the download process for some products or files may differ, this article describes a common download procedure and includes helpful downloading tips and answers to common questions about downloading a program or file.

The following Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's) and typical download procedure will help to guide you through the download process.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I have tried downloading files and programs in the past, but I can never find them after the download is complete. What happened?

A: Most download procedures allow you to select a "Save in" location before the download begins. When this option appears, recording the name of the file and the "Save in" location is recommended before clicking Save to start the download. (The download procedure below includes this suggestion and offers three ways of searching for the file once the download is complete.)

Q: I downloaded a card project but when I attempt to open it, I get a message stating that Windows cannot find the program that is needed to open the file. How should I continue?

A: Some file downloads, including desktop publishing projects (e.g., cards, banners, calendars, letterheads, etc.), user guides, art, sound and movie files, may require a specific program to open the files. Typically, the download instructions will specify the program that is required to run or open the file, and will offer link to a free download of the required program.

Q: I was told I need to contact the manufacturer of my printer for a printer driver update and that some drivers can be downloaded from the manufacturer's web site. I found the printer manufacturer's web site, but cannot find any driver downloads. How do I find what I need?

A: Most manufacturers list driver downloads in the support section of their web site under a Drivers heading. The make and model of the device that requires the updated driver is needed, as well as the operating system (e.g., Windows 98, Windows XP, etc.) in use. If you are still unable to find the information, most manufacturers offer an e-mail address or phone number on their web site that can be used to contact them if assistance is needed.

Typical Download Procedure
  1. When downloading anything from the Internet, read the download instructions completely before beginning the download process. This is important since all download procedures are not the same. Some may include specific instructions.
    Some program downloads require that you stay online after the download is complete to run the installation.
  • The download instructions may specify the location on the hard drive where the file or files will be downloaded. Others will allow you specify the location during the download process.
    Click the Download button to begin the download process. (Some web sites may be different and require that you click the download or file name to begin the download process.) If the File Download dialog box appears, select "Save this program to disk" and click OK. The Save As (Microsoft Internet Explorer) or Enter name of file to save to… (Netscape Navigator) window will appear.

NOTE: Do not change the name of the file.

Select the desired Save In location, such as the desktop. Record the name of the file to be downloaded. Record the Save In location where the file is to be downloaded. Click Save to begin the download. The download time will vary depending on the connection speed and the size of the file.
  1. When the download is complete, locate the file that was downloaded to the location selected in Step 5. Use one or more of the following tips to help locate the file.
    If you saved the file to the desktop, look on the desktop for the file name recorded in Step 6. You may need to minimize any open windows to view the entire desktop. If you selected a location in Step 5 other than the desktop, open My Computer (typically found on the desktop or in the Start menu) and use the information recorded in Step 7 to navigate to the location where the file was downloaded. Use the Windows Search (or Find) feature to find the file. This is the procedure:

Click Start, select Search (or Find) and click For Files or Folders. The Search (or Find) Window will appear.

NOTE: For Windows XP, click Start and select Search to open the Search window. When the search window opens, click All files and folders located on the left pane of the Search window.

In the Named: (or All or part of the file name:) field, type the download file name recorded in Step 6.
    1. Click the down-arrow (right of the Look in: field) and select the drive where the file was downloaded. (If the drive letter is unknown, select My Computer to search all drives.)
    2. Click Search (or Find Now) to begin the search. When the search is complete, the results will appear on the right (or bottom) pane of the Search (or Find) window.
  1. Once the downloaded file is located, refer to the download and installation instructions provided by the manufacturer to continue.
    Some downloads do not require any installation. Others will require you to double-click the downloaded file to begin the installation.
  • Some downloads (e.g., user guides, images, greeting cards, movies, etc.) may require a certain program to open the file. Instructions are generally provided by the manufacturer.

HUMM IF-Dazzler
HUMM
HUMM

Posted: 12 January 2005 at 2:44am | IP Logged
thanks for the useful information!ClapClap
nandiinii Senior Member
nandiinii
nandiinii

Posted: 12 January 2005 at 7:10am | IP Logged
thanks a lot 4 the wonderful info..Smile
  • Page 1 of 1

Go to top

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

• Please login to check your Last 10 Topics posted

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index