Page   of 8
Page 5 Page 8

Morgoth

IF-Veteran Member

Morgoth

--

Posted: 10 July 2005 at 5:44am | IP Logged

I agree with Naina.

You have to have your wits about you - especially on public message boards where almost anyone can see your messages. A few people may be nice, but not everyone is.

I do not like displaying my picture in avatars because I have the same apprehensions as Naina does. A good hacker needs only your 1st and last name and date of birth to get your credit card information or bank account. Other more violent internet crimes have also occured. Just thinking that one is immune to such crimes is plain folly.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "DEBATE: My Pic as Avatar (Page 4)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Rumi

Goldie

Rumi

Posted: 10 July 2005 at 9:11am | IP Logged
i understand your feelings people . but the question is what can anybody do with such a small pic of you? i have given my real pic in my avatar and i have written about myself clearly in my webpage. although, i have not given my date of birth( so, mystica, i am safe na?Big smile) , but i have given my real name. what will happen? i don't think anything can happen with such things. afterall i am not giving my home address or full size large picture. Big smile!!!

_Anonymous_

IF-Dazzler

_Anonymous_

Posted: 10 July 2005 at 1:41pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by Rumi

i understand your feelings people . but the question is what can anybody do with such a small pic of you? i have given my real pic in my avatar and i have written about myself clearly in my webpage. although, i have not given my date of birth( so, mystica, i am safe na?Big smile) , but i have given my real name. what will happen? i don't think anything can happen with such things. afterall i am not giving my home address or full size large picture. Big smile!!!

Rumi, whether the pic is small or large, we can still see your face, we can still see how you look like

You must understand how dangerous it is to reveal yourself like this...your real full name, your pic, your location....for a hacker to trace you wouldnt be that hard

budhhiman

budhhiman

Posted: 10 July 2005 at 11:09pm | IP Logged
In the world of interenet, u don't know the girl u r chatting with is female or not. Even for hacker how can they be sure that the person has displayed right information? In world of interenet, noone is trustworthy.
As per as pic is consult, if u have a good pic which u can place it on net, place it. But then beware of peoples like me, who are always in search of beuaty. Wink

Rumi

Goldie

Rumi

Posted: 11 July 2005 at 8:42am | IP Logged
Originally posted by _Anonymous_

Originally posted by Rumi

Rumi, whether the pic is small or large, we can still see your face, we can still see how you look like

You must understand how dangerous it is to reveal yourself like this...your real full name, your pic, your location....for a hacker to trace you wouldnt be that hard

anonymous.

i understand why you are worried.but see, Jen has posted her photograph from the very beginning but nothing happened.right?Big smileif i do not give my home address or age ,only post a small photograph i don't think there is so much to be worried. and regarding my name, there are thousands of girls here in this name. who will find me out specifically? i don't know!Confused

Morgoth

IF-Veteran Member

Morgoth

--

Posted: 11 July 2005 at 10:11am | IP Logged

See, its really individual choice about displaying personal information/pictures on the net.

Some one just mentioned that information displayed on the net is not always accurate. Why would anyone bother to do that in the first place? Why go through all the trouble of getting someone else's pic or giving a false name?

It does not matter if the person refuses to display his/her own pic or displays someone else's pic and say its his/her own. Either way, both parties are afraid of internet crimes.

I've nothing against people who wish to display their real pics. However, my own views have been shaped by experience; hence the paranoia about not revealing a lot of info.

IMO, its better to be paranoid than to be a victim of an internet crime.

No offense meant to anyone else.

_Anonymous_

IF-Dazzler

_Anonymous_

Posted: 11 July 2005 at 11:35am | IP Logged

ClapI totally agree with you Mystica!

vijay

Admin Group

vijay

Site Admin

Posted: 11 July 2005 at 3:08pm | IP Logged

Well this is getting interesting...

I agree with Mystica that its personal choice and everyone has their own views on this.

So here is my take on the subject:

I have been surfing and using the Internet for the past 9 years. My homepage (with my pic) have been LIVE for say around the same time as it was the first site I designed while learning HTML.

I have seen both sides of the Internet and have been part of greater Internet activities for which my name was on the National Daily Frontpage but very few people on the Forum knows about it but still I am not so proud of it now. (different story)

Well about Internet crimes the main problem is Credit Card frauds. But for a credit card fraud they need a credit card number, your Address and the 3 digit secret code at the back of your card also. but not the picture.

Lets take these examples:

a) Just think of a situation that you are going out to a Shopping Mall to buy something and some one can capture your photo through his mobile phone. What privacy you have ? He can even follow you to your home ? This doesnt mean that you wont go to the mall.

b) Lets say you have done something remarkable and you are being awarded. There is print media and you get all the spot light. Your pic appears in Newspaper with your name. Well is this dangerous? Then I think we shouldnt do great things so that we are never are caught on camera.

c) You are coming out of your college and there is a group of guys on their bike who are staring at you and makes some funny comments. Will you stop going to the college ? But you just ignore them or just go to the authorities and complain about them.

Seriously people are far more busy with their own lives then being a stalker who would visit India Forums and then take the pain to track down someone.

Its the time that we realize that technology has invaded our lives to a greater extent so we must be cautious, we must choose our friends wisely, we must not divulge personal details which could help someone get your account details. BUT we should not be a paranoid. Sharing a pic is just like going out to a party where you do not know 95% of the people out there. We must be STRONG and tell all people that I am not afraid of little things (which just has 0.01% chances). I am being myself and nor I live in a world of paranoia.

If Things ARE gonna happen they WILL happen!!!

No offence to anyone.

Warm regards,
Vijay

Post Reply New Post

Go to top