India-Forums

Crisis tips: energy, climate & food

Bonheur Goldie
Bonheur
Bonheur

Posted: 06 June 2008 at 11:00pm | IP Logged

Folks, the world is witnessing the beginnings of several global crises -- energy shortages and their negative impact on the economy, climate change and its calamitous consequences and, worst of all, global food shortages and famine.

I have decided to start this thread so that we, IF readers, can share some simple home wisdom -- tips to help conserve energy, preserve the environment and alleviate food shortages. What each of us does one at a time may not count for much but collectively and over time, we may all be able to make some difference.

Edited by Bonheur - 07 June 2008 at 8:44am

Bonheur Goldie
Bonheur
Bonheur

Posted: 06 June 2008 at 11:12pm | IP Logged
So, I shall start with what I have been doing lately:

1. I plan my shopping trips carefully so that I do not have to drive unnecessarily and run up petrol bills.

2. I carry a nice cloth bag from the NTUC supermarket in Singapore, which helps me decline at least 4-5 plastic bags at supermarkets as the cloth bag is extremely large as a carrier.

3. I buy fewer canned food items when I go shopping as I do not want to have to junk them when they reach the end of their shelf lives. (Actually, I wish there were some sort of food cooperative that can help singles like myself who are often unable to find fresh produce in smaller portions and could do with pooled purchases.)

4. I have decided to junk old Indian wisdom that says a brighly-lit home brings in Lakshmi. I keep on as few lights as possible when I am home. I even switch off the main lights in the prayer room since the Mahalakshmi lamp is illumination enough.

5. I rarely use the air-conditioning. I switch it on at most for half hour and then only when the mercury hits at least 35 C and it becomes unbearably hot.
jagdu IF-Dazzler
jagdu
jagdu

Posted: 07 June 2008 at 2:36am | IP Logged
Nice tips Bon.
When I get ideas, I will add to your list. Well done.
priyav IF-Dazzler
priyav
priyav

Posted: 08 June 2008 at 7:52pm | IP Logged
good topic bon.
here are some small things i follow..
- I use energy saver bulbs instead of regular ones.
- Make sure my PC is off(when not in use) and all the chargers/electrical things are plugged out as soon as its used.
- Shopping in Farmers market instead of large super market.
- In summer i dry clothes in my backyard, instead of dryer eventhough i use washer for washing clothes.
-Plan the full week's food menu, make list and buy accordingly, instead of buying a lot and give it to fungus.

will come with other ones when i remember.
jasunap IF-Sizzlerz
jasunap
jasunap

Posted: 09 June 2008 at 2:22am | IP Logged
the very first thing i would like to suggest is please take in your plate just as much food as you would like to eat....dont waste food. i find a lot of people have the habit of leaving food on their plates..i dont know if they think is not "in" to eat neatly and empty your plate or what...but please dont waste. dont leave a mouthful of milk/coffee etc in your cup. take that much less if you dont want it...

Edited by jasunap - 10 June 2008 at 1:45am
Bonheur Goldie
Bonheur
Bonheur

Posted: 09 June 2008 at 8:17am | IP Logged
Priyav, I like your idea of drying clothes in the backyard in the summer. Unfortunately, although it's perpetually summer in Singapore, some of us live in flats and have no backyards. Hanging out clothes to dry from pole points outside our kitchens is hazardous since some neighbours inconsiderately hang out dirty clothes mops and what not and you don't want your previous clothes getting soiled. I have been using a dryer ever since I moved to a flat about 10 years ago. But I should consider switching off the dryer when the clothes are partially dry so that I can hang them up for drying in my room. Thanks.

Yes, I too use energy saving bulbs. I am told some countries are now phasing out incandescent bulbs in favour of fluorescent lamps and other energy-savers. I believe Australia was planning to do so.

Jasunap, YOu're right about people piling up their plates with food at buffets as if it's the last meal they're gonna have in their lives.

I heard on BBC this morning that some guy in Australia is starting to power up his mercedes benz with used cooking oil from restaurants. I believe there was a similar story a few weeks ago about a couple in America doing the same thing. The flipside is the odour, I guess. I am not sure whether such oil produces fumes.
Caryn IF-Rockerz
Caryn
Caryn

Posted: 09 June 2008 at 5:55pm | IP Logged
Good thread to start off Bon. Clap

Here are some tips I am following and will follow:

Switching off the lights and nag others too. (although when I forget, the famiy take the opportunity to jump on me Big smile )

Another tip I follow is, in shower, when soaping time, I won't let the water run. Also, when brushing teeth, do not let water run. Use glass of water to gurgle.

Ensure fridge is closed all the time. When removing something from fridge, open the door half way or remove whatever you need at one go instead of taking out one by one.

Do not put your tv on standby mode. Switch it off.

You are right Jas. One thing famous about Malaysians (I hate to say this but I am always disgusted about it),when there is buffet, they pile up the food on their plate like there is no tomorrow. Then they go on and waste it. Once I was really pissed off with my colleague, I told her off for wasting the food, which was meant for the whole team to eat, but because some of them got in late, they had no food. But this woman she piled up so much food, then left nearly three quarters not eaten and I blew my fuse. Angry

Stop daily trips to Coffee BEan/San Francisco etc.

Car pool, although it is difficult.

Fill in your petrol early in the morning to get maximum mileage. Filling your car in the afternoon/evening esp in hot climate will get lesser for your value money.

Use public transport.

If you are in traffic jam, roll down your window and switch off your aircon. Although in Malaysia, the air outside is bad! Angry
kadhambari IF-Rockerz
kadhambari
kadhambari

Posted: 09 June 2008 at 9:02pm | IP Logged
very useful disussion yaar.........we ppl know how 2 save money..........likewise we shud bring a saving habit within us in consuming power,water & all other necessities.we can unplug refigerator(if we're not going to use more than a week) & other electrical appliances when we go for a vacation.

wasting food can be avoided.....not only in buffets.....even in sum houses ppl used 2 cook too much & throw away......this can be strictly avoided.even,when we stock provisions too much.......it sumtimes get spoiled......we can buy small quantities & use it 2 avoid wastage.

Go to top